PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dhampir Cleric Help

Marywn
2018-12-17, 12:23 PM
This is from Roleplaying games forums post I did, Where I asked about how to make a Dhampir cleric. Any tips?

Psyren
2018-12-17, 06:05 PM
Are you opposed to Oracle? They're usually better at that with the Cha bump.

Andor13
2018-12-17, 07:54 PM
In that thread there was a mention of draining HP from foes and giving it to your friends. If your GM is ok with 3rd party material the Sanguinist Archetype for the Medic class (which can be found in the first post of this thread) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483472-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-The-MEDIC!) does pretty much exactly that.

You punch the HP out of people and store them in your HP gland to hand out like candy up to a day later. As an added bonus the fighting style is pretty much exactly the same as Captain America. It's what I would do if I wanted to play a Dhampir healer.

Mind you, you're going from a t1 class (Cleric or Oracle) to a t3.5 class, but if you're more concerned with style/RP than tremendous cosmic power then who cares?

Marywn
2018-12-18, 08:53 AM
Are you opposed to Oracle? They're usually better at that with the Cha bump.

No, I'm not. I'll look into that

Elricaltovilla
2018-12-18, 09:38 AM
In that thread there was a mention of draining HP from foes and giving it to your friends. If your GM is ok with 3rd party material the Sanguinist Archetype for the Medic class (which can be found in the first post of this thread) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483472-Dreamscarred-Press-Presents-The-MEDIC!) does pretty much exactly that.

You punch the HP out of people and store them in your HP gland to hand out like candy up to a day later. As an added bonus the fighting style is pretty much exactly the same as Captain America. It's what I would do if I wanted to play a Dhampir healer.

Mind you, you're going from a t1 class (Cleric or Oracle) to a t3.5 class, but if you're more concerned with style/RP than tremendous cosmic power then who cares?

The unofficial iconic Sanguinist is a Dhampir. He blames his human half for making him weak and sickly so he learned how to become a Sanguinist in his quest to become a fully fledged vampire. He may be a little misguided.

Palanan
2018-12-18, 10:03 AM
I'm a little baffled. I came here hoping for some ideas about building a dhampir cleric, since I'd like to do something similar, but everyone else seems to know what the OP's goal is, and I...can't work it out from what little has been said.

What in particular is the OP trying to do that an oracle could do better than a cleric? Don't get me wrong, I love oracles, but I'm surprised to see them referred to as T1.

Psyren
2018-12-18, 10:14 AM
I'm a little baffled. I came here hoping for some ideas about building a dhampir cleric, since I'd like to do something similar, but everyone else seems to know what the OP's goal is, and I...can't work it out from what little has been said.

What in particular is the OP trying to do that an oracle could do better than a cleric? Don't get me wrong, I love oracles, but I'm surprised to see them referred to as T1.

For starters, I merely asked the OP a genuine question (i.e. is Oracle off the table), so "everyone seems to know what the OP's goal is" comes off fairly passive-aggressive.

Second, the thought process seems obvious to me - Dhampir get a Cha bonus and social bonuses, both of which are more useful to Oracles than Clerics. They're also just a generally unsettling/creepy race, so the oddities and body horror that come with the Oracle's Curse might fit better conceptually.

This isn't to say they'd make bad clerics - particularly if one of the variant Dhampir (Nosferatu-born, Wis bonus) is allowed.

Marywn
2018-12-18, 10:29 AM
I'm relatively new to pathfinder so Ideas on how to make a dhampir without gimping myself is partly why I posted this thread. I want to be a party healer, while also (NOT) killing myself to do so. Also, because conquistadors from Ixalan.

Palanan
2018-12-18, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Psyren
For starters, I merely asked the OP a genuine question (i.e. is Oracle off the table), so "everyone seems to know what the OP's goal is" comes off fairly passive-aggressive.

Wait, what?

That was absolutely not my intention, and I am honestly not sure how you saw it that way. I was genuinely confused, because other people posting in the thread seemed to have a better understanding of the OP’s intention than I did. I was asking a genuine question of my own, with no subtext intended whatsoever.

Second, the thought process seems obvious to me….

Not obvious to me. I don’t have the same instinctive system mastery that you and many others seem to.

Originally Posted by Marywn
I'm relatively new to pathfinder so Ideas on how to make a dhampir without gimping myself is partly why I posted this thread. I want to be a party healer, while also (NOT) killing myself to do so. Also, because conquistadors from Ixalan.

Thank you, this helps very much to clarify where you’re coming from.

(Although now I need to look up Ixalan....)

Elricaltovilla
2018-12-18, 12:09 PM
Thank you, this helps very much to clarify where you’re coming from.

(Although now I need to look up Ixalan....)

Ixalan is a Magic: The Gathering plane. It's based on the age of colonialism and the golden age of piracy as well as having a strong Aztec/Inca theme.

Your factions are Black/White Spanish Conquistador/Inquisition Vampires; Blue/Green jungle tribe Incan Merfolk; Red/White/Green Aztec Humans and Dinosaurs; and Black/Blue/Red hodgepodge pirate revolutionaries.

It might be one of my favorite cycles they've done.

Palanan
2018-12-18, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
Ixalan is a Magic: The Gathering plane. It's based on the age of colonialism and the golden age of piracy as well as having a strong Aztec/Inca theme.

Okay, thanks. I hardly know anything about MTG, but what you're describing sounds like a lot of fun.

Marywn
2018-12-18, 03:04 PM
There is a feat called life-dominant Soul that I can take, but should I is the question. It basically lets me heal from positive and negative energy by only by half for each. I don't know much about how feats should be managed so..

Psyren
2018-12-18, 04:22 PM
Wait, what?

That was absolutely not my intention, and I am honestly not sure how you saw it that way. I was genuinely confused, because other people posting in the thread seemed to have a better understanding of the OP’s intention than I did. I was asking a genuine question of my own, with no subtext intended whatsoever.

The impression I got was that it was a typical "OP asked for cleric help, why are you mentioning a different class?" style of complaint. If that wasn't you meant to convey then I apologize, but I wasn't claiming to know anyone's goal either - I was just approaching the problem from a pure mechanical fit perspective.

Not obvious to me. I don’t have the same instinctive system mastery that you and many others seem to.

Well... I'm not sure that knowing to match a race's strong attribute with the key attribute of a class could really be called "system mastery" to be honest. But thank you for the compliment regardless.

Palanan
2018-12-18, 04:36 PM
The impression I got was that it was a typical "OP asked for cleric help, why are you mentioning a different class?" style of complaint.

Absolutely not my intention.

Originally Posted by Marywn
There is a feat called life-dominant Soul that I can take, but should I is the question. It basically lets me heal from positive and negative energy by only by half for each.

I’m no expert on dhampirosity, but this seems like you’d be shortchanging yourself. I would assume that a dhampir cleric could choose to spontaneously cast inflict spells on himself, and/or channel negative energy for healing.

Your interest in being a party healer does complicate this, so maybe the best solution is just to smuggle a wand of inflict X along with you? Although I’m sure there’s a more elegant solution out there.

Marywn
2018-12-19, 07:26 AM
True... I could also change how I play the character. It's not set in stone. I'd prefer to try something different from what clerics are imaged as, not the stereotypical cleric.
[Edit] I'd like to here some tactics I could use while playing this character as well, Seeing as their healing is reversed.