PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next D&D 5.5 Edition (Old Thread)

pagnabros
2018-12-18, 06:26 AM
DELETED POST

The new thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577304-D-amp-D-5-5-Edition-(now-with-only-the-Modified-Rules)

MeimuHakurei
2018-12-19, 05:44 AM
Can you change the class/feat/etc. description text around to point out any issues with the class as written and how it was fixed?

Greywander
2018-12-19, 07:26 AM
Also, we’ve introduced composite longbow and shortbow, which allow you to use your Strenght modifier to attack and damage, in order to help balancing a bit Strenght vs Dexterity.
Alternatively, you could have made the bows Finesse weapons, or straight up made bows STR weapons, leaving crossbows for DEX characters.

I haven't had a chance to look at much of it yet, but it looks interesting. Are you worried that there might be legal issues here, since you are reposting huge swathes of the PHB unchanged or with minor changes?

Indigo Knight
2018-12-19, 03:20 PM
It's a bit hard for me to rate your work. I'm having a hard time to compare the before and after of it.
But I still wanted to say that this looks amazing! Well done for that, at the very least.

Greywander
2018-12-19, 05:32 PM
It took me a bit to figure out, too, but there's a changelog at the bottom of each pdf. It will tell you what they actually changed from RAW. Most of the documents I looked at seemed to change only one thing (combat, multiclassing, spellcasting). The Feats pdf seems to have a lot more changes and additions, and some of the class pages seem to have at least added additional subclasses.

Zhorn
2018-12-19, 07:56 PM
Are you worried that there might be legal issues here, since you are reposting huge swathes of the PHB unchanged or with minor changes?

Legally, I'd wager it would come down to how 'transformative' the documents are when compared to the original as to if they would fall under fair use or not. Similarly, the parts that were unchanged should ideally include commenting and critique on the source material to further align with fair use.

Sariel Vailo
2018-12-21, 10:32 AM
Hmm sounds fun already.

KOLE
2018-12-21, 09:38 PM
When I have time after the holidays, I’d like to get a bit more in depth on my analysis of this, but so far I’d like to say bravo. A lot of good stuff in here! I really like giving Use Magic Item to rogues, and the modification of extra attack.

I’d also like to say that your Sorcerer tweaks are perfect. I get nervous when people talk about “fixing” the sorcerer. I think it’s really intricately tinkered class as is in the PHB. I think your changes were appropriate and useful. I plan on implementing the core, draconic, and wild sorc at my table from here forward.

My only complaint so far is some subclasses seem to be a bit feature heavy. Some official source subclasses change one big feature for some smaller ones, but the Boreal Sorc getting two features at every sorcerous origin level is concerning to me.

Also, giving Bladesinger war magic is a great idea that I’m quite in love with. I don’t know why I never thought of this before.

pagnabros
2018-12-21, 09:42 PM
Alternatively, you could have made the bows Finesse weapons, or straight up made bows STR weapons, leaving crossbows for DEX characters.

I haven't had a chance to look at much of it yet, but it looks interesting. Are you worried that there might be legal issues here, since you are reposting huge swathes of the PHB unchanged or with minor changes?

I inserted full credits for everything we drew inspiration from and for all the artworks we used. I originally create these documents for my players alone, so that they can simply look at one document instead of searching in the PHB and then look alsoat the homebrew document separately. It's a no profit project, made only for easier reference. If this is not enough, I will simply remove all the text not changed from the original source. As for composite bows, maybe your suggestion is more elegant than mine and I'll implement it (if you give me your permission of course!)

It's a bit hard for me to rate your work. I'm having a hard time to compare the before and after of it.
But I still wanted to say that this looks amazing! Well done for that, at the very least.

Thank you for your compliments, I really appreciate them! Maybe I should have pointed it out more clearly in my post, but at the end of each PDFs you will find a changelog with all the changes we made. That should be helpful for the comparison!

Hmm sounds fun already.
Thank you my friend! IMO, these changes really helps to "smooth up" some of the few issues of 5th edition as pointed out by the community and really improved the experience of my players at my table.

Greywander
2018-12-22, 05:34 AM
As for composite bows, maybe your suggestion is more elegant than mine and I'll implement it (if you give me your permission of course!)
Yeah, that's fine, it's not like the idea of STR based bows hasn't been posted on this forum before.

pagnabros
2018-12-22, 11:13 AM
When I have time after the holidays, I’d like to get a bit more in depth on my analysis of this, but so far I’d like to say bravo. A lot of good stuff in here! I really like giving Use Magic Item to rogues, and the modification of extra attack.

I’d also like to say that your Sorcerer tweaks are perfect. I get nervous when people talk about “fixing” the sorcerer. I think it’s really intricately tinkered class as is in the PHB. I think your changes were appropriate and useful. I plan on implementing the core, draconic, and wild sorc at my table from here forward.

My only complaint so far is some subclasses seem to be a bit feature heavy. Some official source subclasses change one big feature for some smaller ones, but the Boreal Sorc getting two features at every sorcerous origin level is concerning to me.

Also, giving Bladesinger war magic is a great idea that I’m quite in love with. I don’t know why I never thought of this before.

Thank you for your appretiation! I agree that some subclasses need to be simplify. The Boreal Sorcery in particular was one of the first subclass I've added and surely needs to be polished a bit. Sadly as many already pointed out, for legal issues I cannot pubblish my homebrew on the forum yet. There are too many parts of it not covered by the OGL license, so I first need to remove them. I'm already working on a documents which contain only the changed I've made, without flavour text and portion form the PHB. When they are ready, I'll delete this post and then post a new one with the polished documents. Surely I will use this occasion to change the Boreal as you suggested :)

Lord Von Becker
2018-12-25, 08:26 PM
Well, this is my attempt at fixing two-weapon fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577038-Fighter-Features-Two-Weapon-Fighting-and-a-Paladin-Feat). Pity I can't see yours, but I like my version.
(I agree that dagger and rapier is pretty darn flavorful, so I'll probably make 'other hand weapon counts as Light' a special rule for daggers. When I get around to posting my equipment patches, anyway.)

pagnabros
2018-12-29, 10:47 AM
Well, this is my attempt at fixing two-weapon fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?577038-Fighter-Features-Two-Weapon-Fighting-and-a-Paladin-Feat). Pity I can't see yours, but I like my version.
(I agree that dagger and rapier is pretty darn flavorful, so I'll probably make 'other hand weapon counts as Light' a special rule for daggers. When I get around to posting my equipment patches, anyway.)

At a first glance, it's seems really well thought and I'll definitely try it out with my group!

My personal one is very light and only fixes the Fighter isssues with TWF. This is the complete rule:

Two-Weapon Fighting
When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative. If you gain the Extra Attack (3) class feature, you deals one extra die of its damage with your bonus action attack. If you gain the Extra Attack (4) class feature, you deals two extra die of its damage with your bonus action attack.

If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it. You can draw or sheathe two light weapons with a single object interaction