PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers for ToA] Looking for Idea for a magic item

Inglorin
2018-12-18, 07:49 AM
Hiho,

my group just defeated the King of Feathers in ToA. As they are a bit higher leveled (11th) than typical for this situation the had to each confront their own version of that beast and it had a bit of an illusory/fog vibe going on. Nonetheless, only one group member had to defeat it in order for every other fight to end as well and the Fey Warlock did it. I had the King drop a golden feather from its back upon dying without thinking about that beforehand and now I am looking for a cool item that this feather could be. Does anyone of you have a cool idea in their notebook I could use?

greenfunkman
2018-12-18, 08:24 AM
Maybe the golden feather is the source of the King's ability to shoot bees out of its mouth?

Or his ability to misty step?

ImproperJustice
2018-12-18, 08:27 AM
When used to write a message the words disappear and function as a Sending spell once per day.

Holding the Feather provides a constant Feather Fall Effect.

Those are just off the top of my head.

CapnZapp
2018-12-18, 10:16 AM
Hiho,

my group just defeated the King of Feathers in ToA. As they are a bit higher leveled (11th) than typical for this situation the had to each confront their own version of that beast and it had a bit of an illusory/fog vibe going on. Nonetheless, only one group member had to defeat it in order for every other fight to end as well
Cool idea! :smallbiggrin:

Unoriginal
2018-12-18, 11:11 AM
Maybe it's not magical, but everyone familiar with Chult's lore who sees it is more willing to parley with you rather than mess with you because they realize it means you've slain the King of Feather in an 1 vs 1 fight (ie turns hostile NPCs of a CR equal or lower to the King neutral unless the PCs are hostile)?

Keravath
2018-12-18, 11:28 AM
Qual's feather token? Maybe make it multi-use?

Maybe Misty Step 1/short rest or 1/long rest (the source of magic the king of feathers used?)

Fly 1/day, feather fall at will, +1 to hit with arrows or other feathered ammunition, summon a bird companion/familiar 1/day - only one at a time, levitate 1/day, gust of wind 1/day, Tasha's hideous laughter 1/day (from tickling :) ).

Lots of options ... change charges/duration/spell effect to balance. If not too big an effect then don't require attunement.