PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Death domain cleric build help

Mystical-man
2018-12-18, 08:45 AM
I was considering the idea of making a lizardfolk death domain cleric as a frontliner. My main problem is how to build it, I wanted a strong tribal warrior who was ideals around death but then came multiple ideas about how to build. I wanted to play a mainly STR based (so kind of like a paladin who can use wis) frontlinter so here are a few ideas. Just to note this is gunna be a level 11 character

A) a few levels of fighter at the start for heavy armour (maybe 1 or 2) then rest cleric

B) just levels of cleric with maybe a heavily armoured feat

C) even distribution of fighter and cleric

also if you want to give suggestions on stats it'll be helpful, we're using standard array.

Edit: I know dexterity would be better but it doesn't work with the concept I have in mind

nickl_2000
2018-12-18, 09:14 AM
I was considering the idea of making a lizardfolk death domain cleric as a frontliner. My main problem is how to build it, I wanted a strong tribal warrior who was ideals around death but then came multiple ideas about how to build. I wanted to play a mainly STR based (so kind of like a paladin who can use wis) frontlinter so here are a few ideas. Just to note this is gunna be a level 11 character

A) a few levels of fighter at the start for heavy armour (maybe 1 or 2) then rest cleric

B) just levels of cleric with maybe a heavily armoured feat

C) even distribution of fighter and cleric

also if you want to give suggestions on stats it'll be helpful, we're using standard array.

Edit: I know dexterity would be better but it doesn't work with the concept I have in mind

Alright, so you want heavy armor. That leaves you with three options
1) Heavy Armor Feat
2) Fighter Level(s)
3) Paladin Level(s)

You are probably best of with 1 or 2 Fighter levels considering you style of play almost requires Warcaster to function at it's best in combat.

So, I would be looking at this from a Lizardfolk warrior, and this is assuming leveling from level 1

Starting Stats
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 8
Constitution: 15 (13+2)
Wisdom: 16 (15+1)
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 12
Although you can easily switch around the Dex/Int/Cha stats per what makes sense for the character

Level 1 Fighter to get Constitution Saving throws and better concentration checks, plus heavy armor immediately.
Level 2 Cleric to get basic spell casting
Level 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 Cleric
Level 11 can be a choice of either Fighter for action surge or Cleric.

First ASI goes into constitution and strength to even out con and let you wear full plate (since now you can probably afford it)
Second ASI goes into warcaster to keep concentration better and be able to drop spells on AoOs (since you are already mixing it up in combat anyways).

Whether I would take 1 level or 2 levels in fighter depends on how high you expect the adventure to go. If you expect it to get to a max of an odd number take the second level in fighter for action surge. If you expect it to max out at an even number, skip action surge and max out at a higher level of spell casting.

SirGraystone
2018-12-18, 09:50 AM
I made a dwarf cleric that started with Fighter level 1, then added 5 levels of cleric, then took another level of fighter for action surge, then only cleric after that.

Mistake Policy
2018-12-18, 10:54 AM
I currently have a Death Domain Aasimar Cleric, Lawful Evil, and Level 16. We are going to end up with a level 20 campaign so I went full Cleric build for the level 20 ability and that's what I would recommend if you're doing a building long term campaign.
I took the heavy armor feat and also use a shield so AC is high which has saved me numerous times as a character with low Dex.
My only other recommendations would be consider a background that works for your story. I chose Orzhov for mine and worked with the DM to make a story relevant character. Most DM's I know prefer to be clued into ideas for the character and they might even give ideas or rewards based on background.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-18, 11:54 AM
Was gonna post my recommendation, but nicki_2000 covered pretty much everything I was going to recommend.

XmonkTad
2018-12-18, 01:46 PM
If heavy armor is a big deal I would definitely get it from a race rather than a feat. You're already going to be ASI starved. So dwarf, or if you still want that reptilian look, tortle.

If you really want heavy armor and you don't want to compromise on race, then a few levels of fighter would be my choice. 2 levels of fighter nets you action surge, which is so versatile for all sorts of offensive and defensive things. This synergies really well with your domain spells, especially vamp touch+another vamp touch attack (setting you up for a lot of drain tanking).

The feat is just so expensive.

CTurbo
2018-12-18, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't bother with a Fighter dip OR Heavy Armor. Full Plate is only +1 AC over Half Plate anyway. Is that really worth all the trouble? I'd say no.

As far as making it a Str based frontliner, you're still not going to want to actually attack with a weapon very often other than to use your Touch of Death Channel Divinity.

But if you insist, at least starting Fighter 1 would get you the very important Con save prof, and I guess taking Defense Style would get you an additional +1 AC netting you a +2 AC gain overall for the trouble.

I'd start 15 Str, 10 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha, and take Heavy Armor Mastery at level 5 which would bump Str to 16. Probably +2 to Wis at level 9 unless by then you feel like you NEED Warcaster. I'd hate to have "only" 16 Wis all the way up to level 13 though.

Mystical-man
2018-12-18, 06:57 PM
These are all pretty good options and I like them a lot, from what I've seen I've come to my own conclusion with some of what people have said combined with a little bit more research on my part. Also since people were talking about it I imagine this guy character wise to be a tribal warrior and his tribe has a large fascination around death and other things but his quirk is that he's not gunna be very good in social situations (things like walking up to a funeral and opening the coffin of the deceased only to remove the bones is normal for him), hence why I chose Lizardfolk since they lack emotions and are pretty tribal.

Eldritch Knight 3 / Death domain 8

STR 16 (15 + 1 (ASI))
DEX 10
CON 16 (13 + 2 (race) + 1 (ASI))
INT 12
WIS 16 (14 + 1 + 1 (resilient))
CHA 8

first ASI was spend on making STR and CON 16 then the next one was spent on getting the resilient feat to make WIS 16. I chose 3 levels of eldritch knight for the ability to use booming blade as my main attack since it stacks with the cleric's divine strike allowing for attacks that deal 4d8 + STR if they don't move and 7d8 + STR if they do. Thoughts on the build? Any suggestions to improve it? Also I'm taking the dueling fighting style since a tribe that has ideals about death seems like they'd be more offensive than defensive