PDA

View Full Version : Kenku and Verbal Components

username1
2018-12-18, 09:36 AM
If Kenku can only speak what they have already heard how can they cast some spells with V components. Obviously they could only cast spells they have heard cast before. These feels crippling to the Kenku spellcaster, am I seeing this wrong?

Porcupinata
2018-12-18, 09:47 AM
It depends on how strict the DM is being.

A lenient DM will probably just hand-wave it and assume that hearing someone say the verbal component happens during downtime as part of learning the spell, and therefore a kenku spell caster always has an example of the verbal component of each of their spells that they can reproduce.

A stricter DM might want the kenku spell caster to actually seek out another spell caster who can cast the spell in order to listen to that verbal component during "spotlight time" rather than just assuming that it happens during downtime. Even in this case though the DM might allow the kenku to write out the words and get a fellow party member to read them out loud for it to repeat rather than needing someone to actually cast the spell.

Sindal
2018-12-18, 10:49 AM
If Kenku can only speak what they have already heard how can they cast some spells with V components. Obviously they could only cast spells they have heard cast before. These feels crippling to the Kenku spellcaster, am I seeing this wrong?

Kenku always have a bit of a talk problem. This is kinda the problem to have to embrace when you decide to be a Kenku.

Most kenku are said to have a companion of some kind that they sorta latch onto for 'saying words they can use'.

Assuming you are a wizard:
If you are in a party, and the scrolls the kenku receive are written down, any kenku could just ask one of their party members to read the text for them. I don't think it's a stretch for the Kenku to recreate or translate it for them if need be. if they understand what a word means in sylvan, they probably have enough brain power to rewrite it, or the phonics, in common. Plus wizards are smart.

Assuming he's a sorceror:
Sorcery is on that plain that magic sorta 'happens' to them. It's who they are and part of their exsistance. You could reasonably assume that when a kenku sorceror learns a spell, they 'magically' know the words needed, like an epiphany. It could acutally lead into some really neat roleplay. For instance: A dragon blood kenku, whenever they cast, they cast in the voice of one their dragon ancestors, despite having never heard it in their life.

Assuming warlock:
Given that the magic is based off another being, that's probably capable of speaking to the warlock, it's pretty safe to assume that the pact entity can say the verbal components.

And all the above things are the kind of stuff people 'assume' happens when casters learn spells anyway, which is just part of the whole leveling up process.

Basicly:
There are lots of ways to rationalize how they learn the magic words. I don't believe it was anyone's intention to limit their performance when they gave kenku the parrot trait.
If you're afraid, ask your DM 'are you gonna make me jump through hoops to function as a normal spellcaster'. If they reply "Yes" then possibly consider your decision. if they say no, then it doesn't matter

Unoriginal
2018-12-18, 11:05 AM

A Kenku can uses sounds they've heard from different sources and put them together to form verbal components.

It just needs to be the right pitch and tone.

Remember that a wizard needs to basically rewrite a spell from scratch in order to be able to use it. A Kenku wizard would make their spells in a fashion they can use.

Ganymede
2018-12-18, 11:15 AM
A kenku's curse applies to the use of language. The vocal component of a spell is not a language in this sense as you don't use the vocal component of a spell to communicate thoughts and ideas to other people; as such, it is not foiled by the curse.

Sindal
2018-12-18, 11:21 AM
A kenku's curse applies to the use of language. The vocal component of a spell is not a language in this sense as you don't use the vocal component of a spell to communicate thoughts and ideas to other people; as such, it is not foiled by the curse.

I like that

Literally all of kenku verbal components can be loud cawing

Ganymede
2018-12-18, 11:45 AM
I like that

Literally all of kenku verbal components can be loud cawing

Like this...?

https://www.kapwing.com/videos/5c192342c528ca001395cefd

Unoriginal
2018-12-18, 12:02 PM

This is true, too.

TheMoxiousOne
2018-12-21, 12:42 PM

However, if your GM is a real stickler, write the pronunciation of the verbal component down, and pay a commoner a gold piece or two to say them correctly, allowing you to "imitate" your component.