PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Awakened Beast PCs

Raynor007
2018-12-18, 12:10 PM
Character concept:

A powerful spellcaster Awakened a [beast] for [X] purpose, and then the relationship ended for [Y] reasons. For Race, use any appropriate beast cleared by the GM, replacing rolled/bought/distributed stats with the stats of the beast (increasing Intelligence to 10 automatically), and using any special abilities (minus multiattack) that it has in place of racial abilities, ability score bonuses, languages, etc. Customize a Background with the GM's help, per the PHB. Use the standard proficiency bonuses, and increase attack modifier appropriately

Here're my questions: would you as GMs allow a player to run an Awakened Beast more or less the same as any other humanoid race Class-wise? I can think of ways around problems presented by most skills, weapons, armor, even spellcasting, as long as the right kind of beast was chosen (call it a thematically appropriate Class/Form choice), and I think the bonuses and penalties imposed by the forms balance one another out, more or less (again, depending on form). Do you think that the animal form itself is too limiting to work with for most of the class abilities and proficiencies without a lot of GM hand-waving? Is the very idea laughable in a more serious campaign (related: Sir Bearington)?

Personally, I think that with some GM help (and a reasonable non-munchkin-y player), the concept is not breathtakingly different from customizing a PC as a goblin, hobgoblin, Warforged, etc. I also think that with the right player, the roleplaying options are very compelling, and worth minor mechanical issues. Has anyone run into players who have tried this before? How did it go game-wise?

JackPhoenix
2018-12-18, 02:11 PM
Sure, I'd allow it, but I would first make sure the player won't get bored by the gimmick after two sessions.

BarneyBent
2018-12-19, 05:26 AM
Awakened shrub Rogue Assassin could be fun!

Nhorianscum
2018-12-19, 09:53 AM
Character concept:

A powerful spellcaster Awakened a [beast] for [X] purpose, and then the relationship ended for [Y] reasons. For Race, use any appropriate beast cleared by the GM, replacing rolled/bought/distributed stats with the stats of the beast (increasing Intelligence to 10 automatically), and using any special abilities (minus multiattack) that it has in place of racial abilities, ability score bonuses, languages, etc. Customize a Background with the GM's help, per the PHB. Use the standard proficiency bonuses, and increase attack modifier appropriately

Here're my questions: would you as GMs allow a player to run an Awakened Beast more or less the same as any other humanoid race Class-wise? I can think of ways around problems presented by most skills, weapons, armor, even spellcasting, as long as the right kind of beast was chosen (call it a thematically appropriate Class/Form choice), and I think the bonuses and penalties imposed by the forms balance one another out, more or less (again, depending on form). Do you think that the animal form itself is too limiting to work with for most of the class abilities and proficiencies without a lot of GM hand-waving? Is the very idea laughable in a more serious campaign (related: Sir Bearington)?

Personally, I think that with some GM help (and a reasonable non-munchkin-y player), the concept is not breathtakingly different from customizing a PC as a goblin, hobgoblin, Warforged, etc. I also think that with the right player, the roleplaying options are very compelling, and worth minor mechanical issues. Has anyone run into players who have tried this before? How did it go game-wise?

I'm currently finalizing a homebrew xl1-9 campain based on this premise as a Rats of Nimh meets Redwallstyle meets Shawshank.

As it currently stands players may pick any CR0 or CR1/8 critter and play it as an awakened PC setting int to 10 and adding +6 to one stat to a starting cap of 16 in their main stat. HP is replaced by that of one level in their chosen class.

The main difficulty with the premise is... items. Be it armor, weapons, equipment, or even spell components the extremely odd and often handless shape of the PC's makes . Capping the game off early makes this somewhat sane.

HP runs a bit high on big CR critters. Everything else (assuming we take CR as level ajustment) winds up being weaker than a humanoid PC.

It's a fun mechanic to use. Bit on the weak side. But fun.

DarkKnightJin
2018-12-19, 04:46 PM
I might allow something like that for a one-shot. Probably with another player having a Beastmaster Ranger for the fluff to go with the crunch.

Sounds like it could be fun, honestly. Though the weapons and armor thing would become an issue at some point..

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-19, 04:57 PM
There's a Monstrous Races product on DMs Guild, where somebody took every single monster in the Monster Manual (like, every single, even the Tarrasque) and made it into a playable race. It's frequently an exercise in silliness (like, say, the Tarrasque), but, if you wanted to play a beast, hey, I think the thing was a buck or something.

rel
2018-12-19, 06:51 PM
If someone wanted to play something specific I'd work with them and sort out an option.
Blanket rules for playing monsters are just one more thing to keep track of and maintain so I would probably not add them to my general house rules.