PDA

View Full Version : Use of Forge Cleric's Artisan's Blessing

MustacheManny
2018-12-18, 01:33 PM
(You can use your Channel Divinity to conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object. The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp)

Could you use the Artisan's Blessing to create a non-magical key that fits a lock you don't already have a key for? On one hand if you interpret it as a divine gift from your deity then it's not a huge strech to say that your god knows the lock and just gives you the appropriate key. On the other hand if it's something that the character is essentially crafting from his own skill with just a little divine help then they wouldnt know how to make that exact key. Any thoughts?

ImproperJustice
2018-12-18, 02:01 PM
I don’t think there is anything in the ability description that would enable you to make a key for a lock that you don’t have the key for to copy.

Now, combined with a legend lore or some such on the lock maybe?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-18, 02:05 PM
You are missing an important line:

The ritual can create a duplicate of a nonmagical item that contains metal, such as a key, if you possess the original during the ritual.

I'd say the answer is "no", as it does not say that you have to have seen the original, or know what it looks like, but rather you need the actual original in your possession. This implies that extreme detail isn't possible with this feature without something to copy.

Unoriginal
2018-12-18, 02:05 PM
(You can use your Channel Divinity to conduct an hour-long ritual that crafts a nonmagical item that must include some metal: a simple or martial weapon, a suit of armor, ten pieces of ammunition, a set of tools, or another metal object. The thing you create can be something that is worth no more than 100 gp)

Could you use the Artisan's Blessing to create a non-magical key that fits a lock you don't already have a key for? On one hand if you interpret it as a divine gift from your deity then it's not a huge strech to say that your god knows the lock and just gives you the appropriate key. On the other hand if it's something that the character is essentially crafting from his own skill with just a little divine help then they wouldnt know how to make that exact key. Any thoughts?

I would have it be possible if you pass an INT (Thieves' Tool) check.

Your god cannot give you a key fitting for the lock, but you can create a fitting one if you know what you're doing.

Ganymede
2018-12-18, 02:11 PM
Making copies of things when you don't have the original is beyond the scope of the ability, but I might let you do so (maybe with a check of some sort) if you have sufficient information/materials. For instance, I might let you try this if you only have a soap mold of the original key rather than the original key itself.

Sigreid
2018-12-18, 02:40 PM
It is definately not RAW but I would probably allow someone with thieves tool proficiency to do it after studying the lock. Probably faster to pick it though.

jaappleton
2018-12-18, 02:43 PM
It doesn't help you but you just made me realize how good the Channel Divinity is.

"We should rest here in this alcove."
"We'd be ambushed!"
"I'm going to create a big steel wall."
"......Ok."

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-18, 03:24 PM
It doesn't help you but you just made me realize how good the Channel Divinity is.

"We should rest here in this alcove."
"We'd be ambushed!"
"I'm going to create a big steel wall."
"......Ok."

Uh....in case you didn't know:

"...you can conduct an hour-long ritual..."

Also, it's limited to 100gp. Not sure what the going rate is of a bunker wall, but I'm not sure how strong it'd be for 100gp.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-18, 03:43 PM
Uh....in case you didn't know:

Also, it's limited to 100gp. Not sure what the going rate is of a bunker wall, but I'm not sure how strong it'd be for 100gp.

Iron has a listed price of 1 sp per pound. With 100 gp limit, that gives you 1000 pounds of iron. Iron has density of 0.284 lb/in3, or 491.5 lb/ft3 (why the heck can't americans use normal units of measurements... ugh). If you make your wall 1 inch thick, you'll get square of just under 60 inches, or 5', on the side.

5'x5', 1" thick iron slab isn't exactly what I'd called "big steel wall". That slab will have AC 19 (because iron) and 18 hp as medium sized resilient object according to DMG.

Misterwhisper
2018-12-18, 03:49 PM
Our Forge Cleric who was, unironicly a forgery expert, made a lot of duplicate jewelry, artwork, keys, and many other things.

It came in very handy.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-18, 04:02 PM
HAH, just realized something.

You can convert currency into a metal object, but why can't you just do it in reverse?

Collect a bunch of weapons, smelt it down into gold bars. Make the perfect merchant, trading used gear at 100% market rate.

Nhorianscum
2018-12-19, 12:39 AM

No, but any lock you encounter is now a 100 GP bar in your pocket.

KyleG
2018-12-19, 12:46 AM
HAH, just realized something.

You can convert currency into a metal object, but why can't you just do it in reverse?

Collect a bunch of weapons, smelt it down into gold bars. Make the perfect merchant, trading used gear at 100% market rate.

Or just gold coins...that is my plan when i can get rolling in "acquired" armour, swords etc.

As for forgeries....hmmm...might have to learn me a new skill.

Ganymede
2018-12-19, 12:21 PM
No, but any lock you encounter is now a 100 GP bar in your pocket.

Are locks traditionally made with precious metal? I could be wrong, but it is difficult to imagine 100 GP worth of metal inside of a lock.

Also, you need to "lay out" the metal used, so the lock can't be attached to a door or anything like that.

Nhorianscum
2018-12-19, 03:13 PM
Are locks traditionally made with precious metal? I could be wrong, but it is difficult to imagine 100 GP worth of metal inside of a lock.

Also, you need to "lay out" the metal used, so the lock can't be attached to a door or anything like that.

Depends on the lock and if we consider the value of the metals ior the value of the lock.

Depends on the DM/players interperitation of how things must be lain out or the interpritation of what that even is. Depends on what the definition of metals is valuable metals is. Vauge ability is vauge.

Depends entirely on the table.

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-19, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure using this ability for cheapo transmutation of "lead into gold" violates the spirit and is pure cheese.

Ganymede
2018-12-19, 05:21 PM
Depends on the lock and if we consider the value of the metals ior the value of the lock.

Depends on the DM/players interperitation of how things must be lain out or the interpritation of what that even is. Depends on what the definition of metals is valuable metals is. Vauge ability is vauge.

Depends entirely on the table.

This isn't really a mushy area of the rule; it is pretty clear that "you must lay out metal... with a value equal to the creation." Different DMs add their own spin to the rules (I suggested one of my own DM tweaks above), but this part is not vague in the slightest.

"Lay out" is open to interpretation, but it is clearly something, while using this on a lock built into a door is the opposite of doing something. I can't imagine many DMs would say doing nothing at all fits within the meaning of "lay out."

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-19, 06:35 PM
Someone made it clear that the way the wording is implies that the METAL of the sacrificed items equals the price of the item you receive. So 100g of swords translates to 30g of steel, which translates to 30g of gold.

And the way it's written, I'm (unfortunately) inclined to agree.