PDA

View Full Version : Combat Sleight of Hand with Kender

kbob
2018-12-18, 02:27 PM
So I’m playing in a game that anything out of core has to be approved (but don’t let that stop the ideas please). I’ve managed to get the DM to allow me to play a Kender. (Ya I know.) Besides all the evil fun I can have as a player, I want to make a build (my initial gut is rogue, obviously) that specializes in filching anything and everything from villains in combat. What do you all think would be the best way to go about it? Class(es) Items, feats, spells, etc.

Deophaun
2018-12-18, 02:33 PM
Master Pickpocket is a must. Not only does it lessen the penalty for using SoH as a Free Action, but it also literally lets you steal the pants off of someone. As long as it isn't in their hands, it's fair game.

You will also want the Theft Gloves soulmeld and enough Incarnum to get the bonus up appropriate to your level. Whether this involves taking levels in Incarnate or grabbing them through feats is up to you.

daremetoidareyo
2018-12-18, 02:44 PM
Master pickpocket is in city of stormreach. It's a must have.

liquidformat
2018-12-18, 02:47 PM
so some thoughts, maybe going for a throwing build, there is a slight of hand based feat in CW to catch opponents flat footed and I believe a couple of good lsight of hand skill tricks in CSc. Away from book right now. Master thrower, Whisperknife, invisibleblade, and bloodstorm blade are all interesting if you want to go thrower. Going totemist or incarnate for some level dips could be interesting to pickup different abilities.

Troacctid
2018-12-18, 04:16 PM
Master Pickpocket feat for sure. Hardened Criminal, from the same book, lets you take 10. The sticky fingers spell (SpC, 1st level spell for Bard and Assassin) gives a +10 bonus on Sleight of Hand checks. For builds that focus heavily on a particular skill, I like the Exemplar prestige class (CAd).

It's also helpful to have discreet extradimensional storage along the lines of glove of storing, as well as mundane concealed compartments/pockets like the ones described in Complete Scoundrel. That way once you take the item, you can say "Who, me?"

Speaking of which, I recommend investing in Bluff as well. It's a good complement for those times when you get caught.

Putting it all together, I would suggest the Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) as your class, if your DM approves it. It gets conceal thoughts for a +10 to Bluff, dimensional pocket to secret away your ill-gotten goods, and a variety of other useful magical powers for a trickster, all of which have no components to give away your casting. Lurk, from Complete Psionic, has a similar suite of abilities, so that could be a good alternative.

daremetoidareyo
2018-12-18, 04:26 PM
Tumble is worth the investment too, as it will allow you to skip all of the AOOs while you stuff your pockets with your opponents spell component pouches, back up weapons, potions, and various bric a brac.

Deophaun
2018-12-18, 10:16 PM
It's also helpful to have discreet extradimensional storage along the lines of glove of storing, as well as mundane concealed compartments/pockets like the ones described in Complete Scoundrel. That way once you take the item, you can say "Who, me?"
Unnecessary. You just plant the item on the person searching you, then pick it back when the search is over. :smallbiggrin:

zergling.exe
2018-12-18, 10:46 PM

Gloves of Storing aren't extradimensional, just super duper shrunk.

And a kender wouldn't be stealing to steal, just taking shinies that interest them. As soon as they get called out they'll give it back. So they wouldn't take any particular precautions about hiding things they 'steal'. As bad as kender are, they aren't selfish thieves. Stop giving the kenders a bad name they don't deserve.

Goaty14
2018-12-19, 07:54 AM

And a kender wouldn't be stealing to steal, just taking shinies that interest them. As soon as they get called out they'll give it back. So they wouldn't take any particular precautions about hiding things they 'steal'. As bad as kender are, they aren't selfish thieves. Stop giving the kenders a bad name they don't deserve.

Ok ok ok: Kender don't HAVE to be that way, but nothing was ever stated that they COULDN'T be that way either, no?
Personally, I think that you're talking about a horrible combat plan... Whadda mean you're just going to give the wizard his spell component pouch back???

liquidformat
2018-12-19, 10:30 AM
Personally, I think that you're talking about a horrible combat plan... Whadda mean you're just going to give the wizard his spell component pouch back???

the key there is said wizard asking for it back, in the middle of combat he/she is more likely to start blasting spells without components at you then politely asking for it back. Als the wizard has to use the magic words or else their stuff isn't returned...

Deophaun
2018-12-19, 12:08 PM
the key there is said wizard asking for it back, in the middle of combat he/she is more likely to start blasting spells without components at you then politely asking for it back. Als the wizard has to use the magic words or else their stuff isn't returned...
But you'd expect the Wizard to have the relevant knowledge skills to know that. And speaking is a free action.

Doctor Awkward
2018-12-19, 12:46 PM
Stop giving the kenders a bad name they don't deserve.

There exists no negative appellation for kender that they do not deserve.

Goaty14
2018-12-19, 01:04 PM
But you'd expect the Wizard to have the relevant knowledge skills to know that. And speaking is a free action.

Dropping is a free action as well.
>Standard-action grab pouch
>Wizard turns around (no action), asks for the pouch back
>Kender drops pouch
>Wizard picks up pouch (move action)
>Wizard casts spell as normal (Standard action)
...and you've traded your standard action for the wizard's move action. A bad tradeoff, I must say.

zergling.exe
2018-12-19, 01:36 PM
Dropping is a free action as well.
>Standard-action grab pouch
>Wizard turns around (no action), asks for the pouch back
>Kender drops pouch
>Wizard picks up pouch (move action)
>Wizard casts spell as normal (Standard action)
...and you've traded your standard action for the wizard's move action. A bad tradeoff, I must say.

Speaking is a free action and free actions can only be done on your turn. So wizard can't ask on kender's turn, and kender can't drop on wizard's turn. Plus the wizard would have to notice the kender take it in the first place.

Goaty14
2018-12-19, 01:54 PM
Speaking is a free action and free actions can only be done on your turn. So wizard can't ask on kender's turn, and kender can't drop on wizard's turn. Plus the wizard would have to notice the kender take it in the first place.

C'mon, it's a Kender. Even if the kender is a paladin, the kender probably has all of your "lost" belongings anyways.

Deophaun
2018-12-19, 04:01 PM
and you've traded your standard action for the wizard's move action. A bad tradeoff, I must say.
I was thinking Master Pickpocket was at play, but then there's the question of how the Wizard would see you take it. Unless he's just assuming, because kender.

Better idea: it's the human that steals everything. The kender just gets blamed for it.

Troacctid
2018-12-19, 04:40 PM

I can't comment on Dragonlance lore. I'm mainly just talking generic Sleight of Hand stuff.

Speaking is a free action that can explicitly be taken out of turn.