PDA

View Full Version : 5e Weapon Redux

Drakkoniss
2018-12-18, 02:35 PM
The Table: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AtE2-F-pUrJQnB532GEb2PO7fRdT

Over the course of many days of research, I have been considering the strongest and weakest points of the 5e weapons table. As a result of this, I have come up with a new table which expands upon the old options in certain cases (such as that of the rapier, which is alone, or the shortsword and scimitar, which are too narrow a selection, in my opinion) while striving to retain the simplicity and accessibility of the old/original table.

At the same time, I have added a limited selection of new weapons to the list, and altered the damage and properties of many of the old weapons to attempt to create a better balance across all categories. The main intention of this project is to make the viable/optimal weapon selection as broad as possible for various builds while not making weapons bland and nearly identical across the board. Additionally, I have strived to enable certain styles of play which may not have been viable at all, before. Hopefully, the variety and properties amongst the weapons will lend themselves naturally to interesting ideas during character creation.

Acknowledgements:

I would not have been able to get as far as I have with this project if not for the work of others. In particular, this thread by The Jack ( http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?554664-The-5e-weapon-table-needs-a-few-fixes ), this table created by the Redditor known as Kryptopyr ( https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tHOikK_rNxV_LOGsxZj_7EWwLzCWqBEt/view ), and the magnificent work on the blog https://methodsetmadness.blogspot.com (which, I believe, is run by this forum's own Eric Diaz) have all inspired me and aided in either the methodology or contents of my own table.

It should be noted that certain items on my list have been taken directly from Kryptopyr's table, or the work on MethodsEtMadness.

In particular, Kryptopyr's "Quick-draw" mechanic is an excellent and necessary edition to D&D in that while ammunition extraction does not have any cost in the action economy (unless not worn in a quiver or the like), yet daggers and darts require an object interaction in order to be thrown. While this would be reasonable for normal thrown weapons, it is absolutely unreasonable when darts and daggers are explicitly used in such a way that they are fired off like arrows in certain archetypal fighting styles (which are thus invalidated in effect, by the game mechanics themselves).

On the other hand, I had already come up with my Technical weapon trait before I encountered his table (unless my memory is failing me), and once I came across his. I believe my option to be the more versatile trait, and that it will likely be more conducive to fun in play (though respondents are free to disagree; I encourage comparison, either way).

As for the weapons... I took his idea of the scythe, and then implemented a pitchfork as a complimentary weapon for the peasants.

I decided I liked the idea for a light, finesse option for Blunt weaponry, and felt the Tonfa was a logical weapon, and so I kept this name; however, I altered the damage to make it more in line with the shortsword and scimitar. This gave me inspiration to do more than simply give the shortsword piercing/slashing equal viability, as I had intended; rather, I also came up with the smallsword option, which would give a reasonable setup: all three damage types are available, as well as the single combination of two.

I had been contemplating creating an alternative or companion to the whip already by this point, but couldn't quite figure out the way to implement it. Kryptopyr's idea of the chain whip suited this purpose. However, to use a chain as a whip in real life in any reasonable matter does require the use of two hands, as far as I understand it. To compensate for this fact, I gave the chain whip additional damage, and would end up leaving it relying on strength for its bonus damage; whereas I would decide that the whip ought lose its finesse property, and would initially give it the normal version of Technical, but later conclude that it should be the only melee weapon that required dexterity for damage, rather than having strength as an option.

His nunchaku idea gave me inspiration to compare it to the flail. The flail had been the reason I had created the Technical property in the first place, so I decided that the nunchaku obviously needed it as well. I considered reducing its damage to 1d4, in order to not have it compete with the shortsword group too much, but eventually I decided against this. The fact that it does not have finesse in my version (but still requires strength for damage) suitably specializes the weapon, I think.

I did not think that the katana deserved its own entry. The longsword and katana are suggested to be identical in effect in the official handbooks for a reason: the fighting styles of both weapons, historically, are very similar; they both have two-handed main use, and CAN be used in one hand, albeit awkwardly. They can both be used to pierce or slice, and are about equally specialized for both. By this point, I had already added the Arming Sword (which makes for a reasonable kodachi, by the way, if anyone wants to use one of those), and thus made the longsword better fit its historical niche. I felt no compulsion to change it.

The double-bladed sword already has an official counterpart (the elven double scimitar), and so it does not need to be implemented as a separate entry. The official one also does not have Heavy, which is nice.

I had already thought of my version of Saber (spelled differently to his, but otherwise identical), which is an understandable and natural inclusion in the weapons catalog. I find it quite reasonable that we both came up with this. Multiple other people probably also arrived at the same weapon/conclusion.

I felt no need to give polearms special abilities. While this might be reasonable from a historic perspective [they were used differently in battle, and did have special intents like blade-catching or limb-hooking in mind], it would unfortunately go against 5e's simplicity of theme, in my mind, and give much more reason to use polearms than is reasonable. This is why I eventually decided to NOT increase polearm damage to 1d12 as I had initially intended. While it seems a bit silly to me that they should do the same damage as Longswords if the longsword is two-handed (read: used normally), the reach advantage and feat associated with them already produces enough of a mechanical advantage that giving them more damage would just damage build variety, I think.

Lasso is his, though I altered the language of the special ability a bit.

I did not think that Blowgun needed to have loading removed. Rather, I made it equal in damage to thrown darts, which are in fact its ammunition, as far as I understand it (or close enough). That it would deal such little damage seems ridiculous to me, given it only has a bit longer a range.

Giving darts the light property was his idea.

I came up with the idea of knives independently of him. (While I'm at it, I should point out that I found it necessary to give shuriken, daggers, and darts ALL quick-draw, but not knives, due to the fact that knives are more often intended as melee only weapons [or as multi-tools/utility survival items], though they can still be thrown. Daggers are often very much intended for the quick extraction, immediate use strategy, and thus they have a slight mechanical advantage.)

The Bola is his idea. They are two-handed in real life, though, so I changed the stats he gave for them to reflect that.

Shuriken are an excellent addition to the game as a slashing alternative to darts. They do not need to be strictly superior, though, even though they are martial, I think.

This leaves me to acknowledge one more thing: I took the better bows from Eric Diaz/the curator of MethodsEtMadness. This is because of the fact that I very much agree with him: the game definitely should incentivize use of both strength and dexterity in the same character. Many of my other decisions, it should be apparent, are to at least make that an apparent and interesting option for players.

Additionally: I agree with him on one more point. A weapon list by itself is not enough to represent a proper balancing of non-magical combat options in 5e. Feats and fighting styles are essential for such a proper rebalancing. However, I have not had the time to begin experimenting with such things, and I wanted to get this posted for the sake of critique/opinion/testing before potentially proceeding in that direction.

Finally: I actually decided to begin this task after having completed a redesign of armors in 5e. However, I wanted to post the weapon overhaul first. (For one, I did not have enough posts on this forum to do either, until today, and had not actually though to post either, before I had reached about this point in my process for weapons, which was multiple weeks after my armor work.) That list is made via inspiration and research among other sources as well, I should say, along with investigation of actual historical weights and functions of the items listed (as was the case with this list, coincidentally, particularly with regard to weight and damage type).

All critiques are welcome. I thank everyone who has worked on this issue, and all the people who shall respond to this post. (Please treat me kindly. Hehe~)

olskool
2018-12-26, 07:52 PM
I have added STR and DEX requirements to my weapons ala Runequest. I find that I like the idea of limiting heavier weapons to the stronger characters in the game. The requirements are not super extreme but do make a difference, especially since I use SURPLUS STR (STR points over that needed to wield a weapon) to determine IF there is a Damage Bonus. Take a heavier weapon and you may not get a bonus. Take a lighter weapon with high STR and you usually will get a bonus.

Mith
2018-12-26, 08:46 PM
Good work!

Personally, I think some of your ranged weapons such as Atlatl and Staff Slings should be STR to damage, to give some ranged weapons that fitted for STR characters, and they fit the "style" for the lack of a better term as Javelins.

Also, instead of "Technical" (DEXX to Hit, STR to Damage), would you consider having a high DEX bonus giving an additional bonus to hit? For example, a 3/5 bonus gives +1 to hit for DEX mods +1.+2, +2 to hit for DEX mod +2,+3, so on so forth. Using such a method for all weapons, you end up with different weapons benefitting from the ability scores in different ways. All weapons have a "prime" stat that adds to hit and damage, with the other stat adding to a lesser extent to hit chance. It does end up with a bit more maths when acquiring a weapon or boosting stats, but since this isn't 3.x style stat boosting with buffs, the actual math can be used to calculate the to hit and damage is only ever done once in a while, and so shouldn't be as much of a hassle as it sounds.

Dienekes
2018-12-26, 08:55 PM
I have added STR and DEX requirements to my weapons ala Runequest. I find that I like the idea of limiting heavier weapons to the stronger characters in the game. The requirements are not super extreme but do make a difference, especially since I use SURPLUS STR (STR points over that needed to wield a weapon) to determine IF there is a Damage Bonus. Take a heavier weapon and you may not get a bonus. Take a lighter weapon with high STR and you usually will get a bonus.

This is one of those things that people add because it seems like it makes sense, without really knowing how weapons work. Heavier melee weapons really aren't all that heavy. Pollaxes were only about 4-11 lbs, the two-handed bidenhanders were 5-10, true polearms could get a bit heavier, like the pike. But you don't really move a pike about so much as hold it steady. Really, your strength doesn't matter too much, only as much as working the muscles to fight gives you better control and makes your arms move steadier and quicker. But anyone who can lift 10 lbs can fight with a weapon fine.

But it's of course your game. And since the damages are already very abstract there's nothing really wrong with your way from a gameplay perspective.

olskool
2018-12-26, 09:07 PM
This is one of those things that people add because it seems like it makes sense, without really knowing how weapons work. Heavier melee weapons really aren't all that heavy. Pollaxes were only about 4-11 lbs, the two-handed bidenhanders were 5-10, true polearms could get a bit heavier, like the pike. But you don't really move a pike about so much as hold it steady. Really, your strength doesn't matter too much, only as much as working the muscles to fight gives you better control and makes your arms move steadier and quicker. But anyone who can lift 10 lbs can fight with a weapon fine.

But it's, of course, your game. And since the damages are already very abstract there's nothing really wrong with your way from a gameplay perspective.

As a retired cop and former US Army soldier, I can say that this isn't entirely true. When we engaged in baton training, the guys with greater STR could "blow through" your own baton parry and knock the wind out of you (right through the impact armor we wore). Yes the average weight of most melee weapons vary by only about a pound or two, but some weapons are easier for stronger fighters to handle. Give a Danish axe or a warhammer to a 5'4" woman to wield and then swap it for a Gladius after a while. After she has used both of them, ask which she prefers. The stats requirements are not so high that half the list is "off limits" to weaker characters, but some characters will seriously reconsider that Halberd or Poleaxe due to stats limitations. It also stops the Halfling with a greatsword issue (which I HAVE seen).

GlenSmash!
2018-12-27, 04:26 PM
As a retired cop and former US Army soldier, I can say that this isn't entirely true. When we engaged in baton training, the guys with greater STR could "blow through" your own baton parry and knock the wind out of you (right through the impact armor we wore). Yes the average weight of most melee weapons vary by only about a pound or two, but some weapons are easier for stronger fighters to handle. Give a Danish axe or a warhammer to a 5'4" woman to wield and then swap it for a Gladius after a while. After she has used both of them, ask which she prefers. The stats requirements are not so high that half the list is "off limits" to weaker characters, but some characters will seriously reconsider that Halberd or Poleaxe due to stats limitations. It also stops the Halfling with a greatsword issue (which I HAVE seen).

Further more pure weight of the weapons doesn't take into account that some weapons have a center of mass further away form your hands than others effectively making them "heavier" (having a larger moment of force). Those will also be easier to wield by stronger adventurers.

The Halfling Greatsword problem is largely mitigated in 5e my small races getting disadvantage with heavy weapons though.

TheAxeman
2018-12-27, 05:24 PM
I cant see the table and I would very much like to!

Mith
2018-12-28, 01:35 AM
I cant see the table and I would very much like to!

The onedrive link does not work for you?

Eric Diaz
2019-01-28, 04:47 PM
Hey, thanks for the mention!

Great stuff, BTW. "Technical" is an interesting addition, and overall I agree with the changes.

I've seem you added weapon groups but cannot find their descriptions, where are they?

Drakkoniss
2019-02-06, 01:39 AM
Ah, yes, my apologies. I suppose I should actually explain that particular bit, since it was a later addition.

The weapon group mechanic is meant to not have any effect in and of itself, but rather, to have synergy with fighting styles and feats.

While I have not actually developed the feats to be used, quite yet (thus, partially explaining the fact that I have not made a second post, branching off from/furthering this one), I have a preliminary set of fighting styles completed, if anyone would like to see that.
I very much appreciate the weight/balance discussion, by the way. While I am not sure that such things can be integrated in a satisfactory way to the 5th edition style of play, more knowledge is better.

Regarding the idea of adding to-hit bonuses for stat synergy on certain weapons... well, unfortunately I think that would just interfere with the balance of armor class in 5e and make certain weapons significantly better, if you can afford the points to optimize your build that way.

While this already occurs to some extent in this particular form, I do not think it is particularly out of hand, considering the only real weapons where extra damage is brought to the table by using both strength AND dexterity would be the heavier bows.

As for the Atlatl and Staff Sling... you know, I think you might be right. That would probably make them more attractive for strength users, and would help address the problem of them not getting effective options for ranged attacks quite well, even given the fact that absolute long-distance work would still go to archers and crossbowmen.

Thus: Dexterity shall be used for their to-hit roll, and Strength for their damage. In other words-- they just got Technical. Wait, what would that be called? Hmmm. One could certainly just add Finesse to them. Yeah, that's the simplest option, which I think would be better than adding something like "brutish" as a reverse version of Technical.

Does anyone think I should add spoiler-tagged images of the table to the first post?