PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What classes works best with Vigilante?

Asterisk619
2018-12-18, 07:18 PM
So I've been making up 2 characters that I enjoy the concepts of but just cannot decide on which would be the best mechanics wise (first time rolling up a vigilante!)

Character 1: Unchained Rogue multiclassed with Magical Child Vigilante. I really like the familiar aspect they get along with being a magical 'hero' of sorts. Like a cross between Dr. Strange and Deadpool. I'll focus much more on two weapon fighting for sneak attacks and such. And I honestly don't care too much about the limited spell list as I'll probably be more melee focused with buff spells. He would be like a former spymaster who now has a secret identity as an arcane sleuth.

Character 2: Unchained Monk multiclassed with Hangman Vigilante. The major part of this I like is the grappling and knocking people unconscious (with the option to keep choking them out but that's not how I would play the character. Definitely a Non-lethal hitter. I think there's loads of different ideas I could come up with to use a noose for lol The social identity would be that of a humble monk who just so happens to also be one of the city executioners gone rogue (in a good way because it's a corrupt government)

Jack_Simth
2018-12-19, 08:10 AM
So I've been making up 2 characters that I enjoy the concepts of but just cannot decide on which would be the best mechanics wise (first time rolling up a vigilante!)Mechanically speaking, Pathfinder discourages 3.X's multiclassing (and encourages archetypes) - so the answer is "Neither: More Vigilante".

In 3.5, the Fighter was just a combat chassis with feats; the Sorcerer was a glass spell chassis with a familiar; the Cleric was a bronze spell chassis with Turn undead; and so on. Almost any full casting PrC was significantly better than the base spellcasting class, and mundane classes were sufficiently front-loaded (in general) that dip-fests were more than just viable with them. Alternate Class Features exist, but other than a handful of 'gems', they're generally pretty "meh".

In Pathfinder, essentially every class has a capstone, there is much less in the way of dead levels, and there's favored class bonuses on top of that. So the sorcerer gets a bloodline spell (and often a bloodline power or feat) every odd level to go with the new spells nearly every even level; the Cleric's domains get actual powers that scale well with Cleric level, and Channel Energy is useful for more than just Divine Metamagic; the mundane classes get something every level. If you PrC out, or multiclass, you end up missing out on a rather lot. Archetypes, on the other hand, are mechanically sound - they trade out class features generally one-for-one, don't interfere with FCB at all, and there's generally lots to choose from (some of which can mix & match) with plenty of 'gems' in the mix for any given class.

Geddy2112
2018-12-19, 11:37 AM
I second that with pathfinder's extensive archetype support, most classes can single class. Dipping here and there is a thing, normally for prestige classes or feats(barbarians starting as fighters for example). Vigilante also has a LOT of in class fixes and options, namely as vigilante talents. Even if you don't want to play the renown social game, the glass has enough social talents that compliment virtually any build. The big ones are ways to get dex to damage and viable unarmed combat, as well as fair amounts of magic from archetypes.

If I was to multiclass, I would consider dipping monk on a more martial avenger, maybe scaled fist monk on a Teisatsu for Batman. You could also throw brawler or other monks if you have a particular hero in mind that does not wear armor and fights in hand to hand. Your Rorsachs, Silk Specteres, etc. Dipping into vigilante is normally about putting on the mask. Shield champion brawler loves getting a vigilante level to make your Steve Rodgers/Captain America.

The class supports a lot of superheroes, and Dr. Strange is easiest done staying in class using the Warlock (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/warlock/) archetype. You could also just run straight arcanist because Dr. Strange gave up his past life when he became the wizard. Magical Child is more for mahou shoujo magical girls: your Cardcaptors Sakura, Sailor Moon, Puella Magi Madoka Magica,etc.

I like the idea of hangman mixed with monk for Wonder Woman, as she fights a lot in hand to hand. You might want a couple levels of paladin there instead, using sword and board/lasso of truth. Vigilante applies more here since Diana and Wonder Woman are not publicly the same person and she does live a more normal life out of costume.

Asterisk619
2018-12-19, 01:44 PM
Well there's gonna be little combat in the adventure, heavy RP. That's why I was wanting to try out Vigilante. So I wasn't very concerned with how they play out combat wise. Just how the two would mesh with Vigilante. Multiclassed with Vigilante just gives me the basis of where I wanna go with the character. So I could still possibly go Arcane trickster with the magical vigilante. And I thought long and hard about trying Warlock but it's not how I wanna play the character. I really would like a sailor moon like person with a shapeshifting familiar.

Maybe like a Tuxedo Mask kind of 'magical child' https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQHULhgevyaI93qDnh2hS6aR89sZtW HEvb6mPoXQ6KfkfxTadsv
I like the thought of making hangman go up very high level, but I still really like the monk to just enhance the grappling and such.

Making a high level magical Child or warlock doesn't totally interest me as then I might as well just make a regular caster :/