PDA

View Full Version : Zephyr Strike

Helldin87
2018-12-18, 07:50 PM
So I have a PC who wants to reroll his blades bard to a bladesinger. I am totally OK with PC reroll up to lvl 5 especially since I strongly feel that this subclass is more in tune to what the dude in question wanted his character to feel like. Sometimes you just need a little time to figure that out and this is his first non-one shot game so that's all cool.

Anyway he and I were looking over spell selections to gish him up a bit. I was kind of shocked to see that Zephyr Strike wasn't an option for wizards at all. I don't know why this never sank in for me until now but there you go. It really seems to that it fits the subclass well. Imagining a rapier wielding elf doing his bladesong dance routine and just kinda poofing to his target to hit and run away! At the low low cost of a lvl 1 slot it seems perfect.

Anyway I was scouring the book for mechanical choices to legally get him this spell without an actual multiclass into ranger (MAD and just not really what hes going for). Anyone else ever just DM overrule that or another spell onto a class list? I am not trying to take something away from our ranger (he's a gloomstalker bow user) but it just seems to fit in well.

Thoughts on allowing this as an overrule or possible "legal" routes?

Unoriginal
2018-12-18, 07:59 PM
If you want a legal way, that wizard could get Zephyr Strike with Magic Initiate.

But yes, Zephyr Strike isn't for wizards at the "low cost" of lvl 1 spell slots. There's a reason why you don't want to give wizards that kind of great melee options for cheap.

Helldin87
2018-12-18, 08:06 PM
I looked into magic initiate. Unfortunately its a non-starter because there is no magic initiate: ranger.

Thanks though!

MaxWilson
2018-12-18, 08:11 PM
Go with the Mobile feat instead.

Vogie
2018-12-18, 11:54 PM
There's nothing inherently broken about adding it to their spell list. Although the above mentioned Mobile feat basically does that effect for you.

strangebloke
2018-12-19, 12:07 AM
Mobile for wizards only lets you disengage from one guy though, but IMO zephyr strike gets outclassed pretty quickly anyway.

Galithar
2018-12-19, 04:41 AM
I allow it all the time. For example the Cleric in my game really likes to heal in combat despite it's inefficiencies, so I put Aura of Vitality on his spell list so he can have some bonus action, slot efficient (if not action efficient), healing. Doesn't break anything as I already 'penalize' major yo-yo healing with persistent injuries.

Edit: Corrected spell name

Digimike
2018-12-19, 06:30 AM
They should already have access to Misty Step as a level 2 spell. Sure you lose a small bit of damage, but both are bonus actions that give you 30 feet of movement.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-12-19, 01:10 PM
Misty step is better anyway.

It wont break anything but if you have a ranger at your table i wouldnt do it. Zephyr strike is one the rangers coolest spells imo, and i would be mighty miffed to see the wizard just have it and be able to use it more often than me if i was a ranger.

Edit: Oh and idk what level you are but if its 5 and up you still have Blink. You also have mirror image and blur.

If he wants zephyr strike be a ranger is what i would say. Wizards get cool enough spells as is.

Malifice
2018-12-19, 01:12 PM
Let the Ranger keep his nice spell.

If your Wizard wants it so badly, he can dip Ranger for 2 levels or play a Bard and...

Wait.

Chaosmancer
2018-12-20, 01:49 PM
Breaks nothing, I've done stuff like this before to give players thematic spells.

Citan
2018-12-21, 10:11 AM
So I have a PC who wants to reroll his blades bard to a bladesinger. I am totally OK with PC reroll up to lvl 5 especially since I strongly feel that this subclass is more in tune to what the dude in question wanted his character to feel like. Sometimes you just need a little time to figure that out and this is his first non-one shot game so that's all cool.

Anyway he and I were looking over spell selections to gish him up a bit. I was kind of shocked to see that Zephyr Strike wasn't an option for wizards at all. I don't know why this never sank in for me until now but there you go. It really seems to that it fits the subclass well. Imagining a rapier wielding elf doing his bladesong dance routine and just kinda poofing to his target to hit and run away! At the low low cost of a lvl 1 slot it seems perfect.

Anyway I was scouring the book for mechanical choices to legally get him this spell without an actual multiclass into ranger (MAD and just not really what hes going for). Anyone else ever just DM overrule that or another spell onto a class list? I am not trying to take something away from our ranger (he's a gloomstalker bow user) but it just seems to fit in well.

Thoughts on allowing this as an overrule or possible "legal" routes?
Hi!

There's nothing inherently broken about adding it to their spell list. Although the above mentioned Mobile feat basically does that effect for you.

I allow it all the time. For example the Cleric in my game really likes to heal in combat despite it's inefficiencies, so I put Aura of Vitality on his spell list so he can have some bonus action, slot efficient (if not action efficient), healing. Doesn't break anything as I already 'penalize' major yo-yo healing with persistent injuries.

Edit: Corrected spell name

Breaks nothing, I've done stuff like this before to give players thematic spells.
+1000.

Besides, if really you wanted to play it by RAW, unless he wants to play as a pure caster, 3 levels of Gloomstalker Ranger or Horizon Walker ranger bring many additional benefits:
Dual-Wielding or Defense style (to stack on newly given light armor proficiency, frees up Mage Armor slot and does not block Bladesong), Goodberry (not enough to heal self, but at least you won't care about food) and 3rd level brings...
- extra Initiative and extra mobility on first round (Gloomstalker) + easier invisibility (to pair with Darkness or the like).
- or "all force damage on next attack" as a bonus action, great to pair with Shadow Blade + Booming Blade. :)

Let the Ranger keep his nice spell.

If your Wizard wants it so badly, he can dip Ranger for 2 levels or play a Bard and...

Wait.
XD.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-21, 11:34 AM
The Ranger/Paladin spells are a little bit better than the full caster spells of equal spell slots. You could almost say that a level 1 Ranger spell is closer to level 1.5 .

I do agree that Zephyr Strike really should belong to a Mage of Blades, I'd probably just not make it available until level 2.

Alternatively, the Druid spell list has a crazy amount of synergy with melee combatants. A Ranger mixed with some Druid will have a lot of options to spam their cool Ranger spells.

Phhase
2019-03-10, 02:02 AM
1000% Let him have it. Though maybe work a little lore to explain how he figured it out. I just got Zephyr Strike on my Dragonborn Rouge/Fighter (Magic initiate) and oooh boy, it's fun. I got a random event that session where I nicked myself on a broken potion bottle and gained 40ft of speed for the next encounter. 30+40+30 (Zephyr Strike) = Fast lizardboi. There were some harpies circling above us, and I asked the DM how high up they were and he said "Oh, about 100ft." So, naturally, the logical thing to do is for me to JUMP STRAIGHT UP 100ft to shank a harpy. I spent the rest of the combat falling, but it was WORTH.

...admittedly this is a character I made at 6th level, and I, uh, didn't see the part in the Arcane Trickster specialization where it says you can only pick mostly illusion and enchantments, soooo...my spell list is Light, Mage Hand, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Thunderwave, Grease, Unseen Servant, Identify. I only realized during the second session, and in a group with 6-10 players depending on the day (Including some very rules-savvy people), and noone seems to notice or care. So I'm TOTALLY taking Rope Trick, at Rogue level 7. It's perfect for setting up plunging attack ambushes.

Trampaige
2019-03-10, 03:08 AM
So you necroed a thread to talk about how great it is to completely break rules (standing jump), and intentionally cheat?