PDA

View Full Version : Blessed of Corellon

lall
2018-12-18, 08:25 PM

DeadMech
2018-12-18, 08:48 PM
I don't have any reason to believe they can. Least not without artificial assistance. If they could then likely yes there would be greater chances of passing on hereditary conditions that run in the family since it would be possible to gain two pairs of an otherwise recessive gene responsible for them.

ATHATH
2018-12-18, 09:13 PM
Do they change both sex AND gender, or just gender?

This gives extra meaning to the phrase "go !@#$ yourself".

KOLE
2018-12-18, 09:19 PM
...Aaaaaaaand that's officially enough internet for today.

JackPhoenix
2018-12-18, 09:31 PM
Nothing suggests blessed elves are hermaphrodites, they can change sex, but in any given moment, they are either male or female.

HappyDaze
2018-12-18, 09:40 PM
Nothing suggests blessed elves are hermaphrodites, they can change sex, but in any given moment, they are either male or female.

It's unnecessary for them to be both at once. Semen can be released when male, briefly stored for the duration of the long rest, and then used for artificial (self) insemination when female.

Jophiel
2018-12-18, 10:21 PM
Zap with a Ray of Frost for extra freshness

guachi
2018-12-18, 11:15 PM
I don't have a book in front of me, but I assume they change sex and not gender. Changing gender from day to day isn't really a big deal.

Arkhios
2018-12-19, 01:27 AM
Well, you do you, man. However, I feel compelled to point out that whatever HappyDaze is, it's quite probably not any official source for what can or can't be done in D&D. In other words, take everything you read in internet with a grain of salt. Not everything you read is true and accurate.

Unoriginal
2018-12-19, 05:28 AM
To OP: ask your DM. D&D reproduction is not strictly genetic.

The Blessed of Corellon can change sex at will, but the PHB mentions that some elves are hermaphrodites, too.

Unoriginal
2018-12-19, 07:30 AM
Okay, thanks everyone. As they’re blessed and not cursed, I’ll assume they can successfully self-reproduce with no issues, unless of course the DM rules otherwise.

Why would they want to self-reproduce, though?

Corellon themselves wasn't a fan of the one time it happened to them.

Unoriginal
2018-12-19, 10:48 AM
When was the one time it happened?

When Corellon gave birth to the elves.

RedMage125
2018-12-19, 11:00 AM
The Blessed of Corellon can change sex at will, but the PHB mentions that some elves are hermaphrodites, too.

I just re read the elves section of the PHB, and I don't see that anywhere. Am I missing it? What page?

Unoriginal
2018-12-19, 11:18 AM
I just re read the elves section of the PHB, and I don't see that anywhere. Am I missing it? What page?

The elf god Corellon Larethian is often seen as androgynous or hermaphroditic, for example, and some elves in the multiverse are made in Corellon's image.

PHB p.121, "Character Details" section.

HappyDaze
2018-12-19, 06:10 PM
Well, you do you, man. However, I feel compelled to point out that whatever HappyDaze is, it's quite probably not any official source for what can or can't be done in D&D. In other words, take everything you read in internet with a grain of salt. Not everything you read is true and accurate.

I stated that male elves can ejaculate semen.
I stated the semen could be briefly stored for the duration of a long rest.
I stated that the semen could be used to impregnate a female elf.
I stated that the male and female elf could be the same being.

Which one of those is in doubt?

XmonkTad
2018-12-19, 06:27 PM
I stated that male elves can ejaculate semen.
I stated that the semen could be used to impregnate a female elf.
I stated that the male and female elf could be the same being.

Which one of those is in doubt?

Oh, I agree with you, all of these are definitely things that could happen. However, you're either going to need to grab some rules from FATAL or update the 3.5 3rd party supplement BoEF to get some rolls to make this work. No way there's a 100% chance of success and I don't know where to begin setting the DC for something like this. Like, is it a medicine check, a dexterity check, or what?

JackPhoenix
2018-12-19, 06:36 PM

Quick googling (thanks a lot for that) claims that sperm remains viable outside uterus for only few minutes. Definitely nowhere near long rest duration. Knowledge and technology needed to prolong that time isn't available in D&D, and while magic could potentially serve as a solution, there's not really any existing spell suitable for that kind of use.

Makes me wonder how the timing works with sperm donations, but not enough to look into THAT.

NecroDancer
2018-12-19, 07:29 PM
I feel like Corellon would remove the blessing before this happened.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-12-19, 07:41 PM
I don't have any reason to believe they can. Least not without artificial assistance. If they could then likely yes there would be greater chances of passing on hereditary conditions that run in the family since it would be possible to gain two pairs of an otherwise recessive gene responsible for them.

But... do elves have any recessive genes? They're perfect, ya, kno!

2D8HP
2018-12-19, 08:00 PM
I don't have a book in front of me, but...

Here you go:

"THE BLESSED OF CORELLON
Ever changing, mirthful, and beautiful, the primal elves could assume whatever sex they liked. When they bowed to Lolth's influence and chose to fix their physical forms, elves lost ability to transform in this way. Yet occasionally elves are born who are so androgynous that they are proclaimed to be among the blessed of Corellon - living symbols of the god's love and of the primal elves' original fluid state of being. Many of Corellon's chief priests bear this blessing.
The rarest of these blessed elves can change their sex whenever they finish a long rest - a miracle celebrated by all sorts except Drow. (The DM decides whether an elf can manifest this miracle.) Dark Elves find this ability to be terrifying and characterize it as a curse, for it could destabilize their entire society. If Corellon's blessing manifests in a drow, that elf usually flees to the surface world to seek shelter among those dedicated to Corellon."

Ganymede
2018-12-19, 08:57 PM
From Mordenkainen’s, these elves can change gender after a long rest. Can they impregnate themselves? If so, any higher risk of defects?

Ask your DM.

HappyDaze
2018-12-20, 09:22 AM
Quick googling (thanks a lot for that) claims that sperm remains viable outside uterus for only few minutes. Definitely nowhere near long rest duration. Knowledge and technology needed to prolong that time isn't available in D&D, and while magic could potentially serve as a solution, there's not really any existing spell suitable for that kind of use.

Makes me wonder how the timing works with sperm donations, but not enough to look into THAT.

Freeze and thaw.