PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Homebrew Druid Spells—PEACH

Fable Wright
2018-12-18, 11:52 PM
Hello, all! This is my first attempt at D&D 5e homebrew for spells, and I'm not 100% sure how to go about this. I'm planning on using effects like this for an elemental evil style game, and in the event my players want to do some spell research, I wanted to have some community feedback on spell effects to try and minimize the amount that I break things when this inevitably happens. Without further ado...

Fimbulvetr
8th level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self (5-mile radius)
Components: V, S, M (a 500gp onyx carved into the shape of a hungry wolf's head, consumed)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Druid

With a howl, you tear open the boundaries between the material plane and the realms of ice beyond, causing dramatic shifts in the local weather. Strong winds howling through the area force all flying creatures to spend four feet of movement for every one foot of movement that it moves, and must land at the end of its turn or fall.

The ground is perpetually covered in an icy slush, and is treated as difficult terrain unless the creature has an ability such as Spider Climb, Ice Walk, or Water Walk. Creatures immune to cold damage are also immune to this effect. Any creature hindered by this terrain must make a Dexterity save at the end of each turn or fall prone.

Over time, the wounds this spell inflicts to the material plane heal, usually over the course of a season, though this may be prolonged to a year or even indefinitely in climates already wintery, or surrounded by the effects of other Fimbulvetr spells. The effects of this spell do not move with the caster.

...To be 100% honest, I wanted an Instantaneous-duration spell that could ground fliers for prolonged periods of time. After seeing 3.5e's Fimbulwinter spell, I realized that (a) the ability to permanently alter weather patterns is awesome, and (b) that this does not necessarily step on Control Weather's toes, as it cannot improve conditions, control wind direction, or anything of the sort, and is overall far less flexible. It also cannot willingly be dropped if it's a hindrance.

I included text making certain categories of creatures immune to the effects in part because I very much like the idea of returning to a Fimbulvetr'd area and seeing how the ecology has changed, and in part to allow the DM to throw enemies at the PCs that are potentially able to abuse the effects worse than the players can.

Root of Yggdrasil
7th level conjuration
Components: V, S, M (a sliver of root from a tree older than one thousand years, preserved in alchemical compounds worth at least 1500gp)
Range: Sight

An immense mass of gnarled roots erupt vertically from the ground to imprison one or more creatures or objects that fit entirely within a 20ft cube that you can see within range. Creatures imprisoned in this manner are considered to be Restrained, and do not require food or water to survive as long as they remain within the prison.

A creature inside the cage can't leave it by nonmagical means. If the creature tries to use teleportation or interplanar travel to leave the cage, it must first make a Charisma saving throw. On a success, the creature can use that magic to exit the prison. On a failure, the creature can't exit the prison, and automatically fails its next saving throw against this effect, but the spell or effect is not considered expended.

The roots are considered a plant creature with AC 18, 200 hit points, and immunity to all damage dealt by creatures imprisoned by the roots. They can be scaled with a DC 15 Athletics check, as though climbing a rock wall. If a creature or object in the cage is dealt damage from a source outside the prison, the roots suffer the same amount of damage.

I am running in an Eberron campaign where demons and devils are planned to become recurring enemies, as in the setting, evil reincarnates until it is bound. As of right now, Clerics are able to keep fiends imprisoned by means of keeping them in Forbiddance'd areas in mundane shackles, to shut down teleportation and other shenanigans. Wizards and Warlocks get Flesh to Stone for safer storage. However, Druids (and by extension the Eldeen Reaches at large) don't really have any way of permanent imprisonment, and I wanted to plug the gap.

This spell is designed along the lines of Irresistible Dance and Forcecage, with some out of combat utility. It's a no-save debuff, but one bypassable with Freedom of Movement. Unlike Forcecage or Dance, it can only allow the party to whittle away at the creatures so much—200 points of single target damage, with the creature able to fight back, or 100 points of area of effect damage, making Sickening Radiance or Cloudkill combos less crucial.

Thematic inspiration is from the Yggdrasil's roots imprisoning the Nidhoggr, which is admittedly not Eberron, but gives it some grounding in lore.

Lahar
6th level evocation
Components: V, S
Range: 300ft
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer

A wave of boiling mud erupts in a destructive tide erupts in an area in range that you can see. The area can be up to 60 feet long, 15 feet wide, and 5 feet tall. Each space within the area becomes difficult terrain, and each creature within this area of this point must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 3d12 Fire damage and 3d12 Bludgeoning damage and becomes Restrained by the muck. On a successful save, the creature takes half damage and is not restrained. Buildings in this area take double damage, and may have their entrances or windows stuck in place, as determined by the GM.

A creature restrained by this spell may make a Strength or Dexterity check as an action against your spell DC. On a successful check, it is no longer restrained.

At higher levels: Increase the bludgeoning damage by 1d12 per spell level above 6th.

I am fundamentally disappointed in the fact that we have so many natural disasters in the world that the Druid class can't weaponize. Lahars are one of the parts of an eruption that are less absurdly lethal than the Pyroclastic Flow, and fit in with the area control + damage motif of the class. The effect is a scaled up Erupting Earth with a less attractive damage type at the benefit of a better area of effect and stronger area control than difficult terrain. If the effect should be restricted to higher levels, that would be great to know; the damage + restrained is similar to Bones of the Earth, if nearly twice the damage, because it doesn't create impassable walls that block LoS.

Phhase
2018-12-19, 12:36 AM
Pretty cool! I really like the idea of winter-rift spell, especially its more-or-less permanence. That gives it immense tactical utility, allowing you to alter the course of huge battles, defend locations from siege, turn mountains into legendarily deadly obstacles, etc.
Props for making the volcanic mud d12 damage. Gotta give our dodecahedric bros some love. Speaking of, since Lahar is instantaneous, what exactly is the volume of mud created? I'm wondering about what happens when it dries. Or, if it is created out of existing earth, what does that mean for the structural stability of anything above it?

Fable Wright
2018-12-20, 09:25 PM
Pretty cool! I really like the idea of winter-rift spell, especially its more-or-less permanence. That gives it immense tactical utility, allowing you to alter the course of huge battles, defend locations from siege, turn mountains into legendarily deadly obstacles, etc.
Props for making the volcanic mud d12 damage. Gotta give our dodecahedric bros some love. Speaking of, since Lahar is instantaneous, what exactly is the volume of mud created? I'm wondering about what happens when it dries. Or, if it is created out of existing earth, what does that mean for the structural stability of anything above it?

Thanks! I added a note to Lahar about how the tide could block up doors and other structures, if it doesn't flat-out destroy the buildings—a very real risk in the actual event. That said, I lowered the height to 10ft because... you are right, that's a lot of mud.

One more spell for good measure.

Seed of the World Tree
7th level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action or 7 days
Components: V, S, M (see text)
Range: 60ft

This spell channels life energy into an enormous astral plant known as a World Tree. There are two possible uses for this spell, either growing an existing world tree, or creating a new one.

If you cast this spell over seven days, this spell requires a material component of the seed of a World Tree, a rare trophy worth 5000 gold, if it can be purchased at all. For every twenty four hours that this spell is cast, the caster must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw to avoid gaining a level of exhaustion. If the caster dies or becomes incapacitated during this time, the spell fails, but the component is not consumed.

At the end of this time, the seed blossoms into a full fledged World Tree on the astral plane, leaving behind its seed pod. This tree is hollow, with empty space of up to 50 cubes within, each cube being 10 feet to a side, with any floor plan you like. The tree is unfurnished, made of wood, and has a single exit in the form of a long, winding trail that leads off into the astral plane. If a creature follows this root for 1d4 hours, they will be instantly transported to the first place that you cast this spell. At any time thereafter, by using an action to tap the discarded seed pod at this location, you may open a 10ft by 10ft portal that leads to the end of this root, and can be traversed back to the heart of the World Tree.

If you cast this spell as an action, using the discarded seed pod as a material component that is not consumed, you and any number of willing creatures you can see within 30ft of you and the equipment they carry are transported into the center of the world tree. You may add up to 5 cubes to the world tree's floor plan, and a new root or branch is added leading to the location you have left. If this passage leads to a plane other than the first plane that Seed of the World Tree was cast on, traversing the passage takes 3d4 hours instead.

This functions as a Word of Recall in a 7th level slot, with some elements of Demiplane and Leomund's tiny chest added in. It's a guaranteed safe haven with the ability to swiftly move around the map. The party could do this from level 9 via Teleportation Circle, or level 6 via Transport Via Plants, but the ability to do so without expending spell slots beyond the initial casting is... new. I am unsure if a large and risky one-time cost balances this out, but the imagery from Planescape of adventurers traversing the Yggdrasil to reach other planes of existence is too cool to not allow in spell form, IMHO.

EDIT: On double checking, 4d4 hours (1d4 heading to the center, 3d4 heading to another plane) would normally easily allow the party to Plane Shift then Leomund's Tiny Hut on the other plane, restoring all slots anyways. If anyone playtests this, please let me know!

PotatoGolem
2018-12-25, 12:02 AM
I don't like that the save is against your own save DC for that one. Why is it harder for an archdruid to cast the spell than a novice with a scroll? The idea is cool, but it should be a static DC.

Dragons_Ire
2018-12-25, 10:12 PM
These are AWESOME! I will definitely offer these to the Druid in my campaign.

That said, I agree with PotatoGolem. I suggest a DC 15 for the save, like Tenser's Transformation. Maybe up it to 17 if you want it to be really risky.

Fable Wright
2018-12-26, 03:39 PM
These are AWESOME! I will definitely offer these to the Druid in my campaign.

That said, I agree with PotatoGolem. I suggest a DC 15 for the save, like Tenser's Transformation. Maybe up it to 17 if you want it to be really risky.

Contact Other Plane also provides a DC 15 save, so it seems like the right amount. Change made!

Fable Wright
2019-01-04, 04:04 AM
Magma Kraken
9th level conjuration
Components: V, S, M (an intricately carved peridot amulet worth at least 500gp)
Range: 500ft
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Druid, Sorcerer

Tapping into the most primal and powerful forces of nature, the caster creates a living eruption across the landscape before him, tendrils of molten rock scouring the landscape clean of life and traces of habitation.

Up to 10 semi-independent pillars of thrashing magma erupt within range of the spell, each 10ft wide and with a reach of up to 50ft. Any creature attempting to enter the space of a magma pillar that is not immune to fire is disintegrated, as are any unattended objects or structures within the tentacles' reach that you designate. A disintegrated creature and everything it is wearing and carrying, except Magic Items, are reduced to a pile of fine gray dust. The creature can be restored to life only by means of a True Resurrection or a wish spell. If a structure is larger than a 10ft cube and only partially within the tentacles' reach, only the space within the tentacles' reach is disintegrated.

Each creature that starts its turn within the reach of one or more magma tentacles or enters it for the first time on their turn must make a Dexterity saving throw, taking 20d6 fire damage on a failed save, or half damage on a success. Creatures you designate automatically succeed on this saving throw, and flying creatures have disadvantage. If a creature fails this save and is incapable of moving, it is instead disintegrated as above if it is not immune to Fire damage, and otherwise takes 20d6 bludgeoning damage from the impact of the tentacle.

Each round on your turn after the turn you cast this, you must take an action to maintain the spell. If you do not, or the spell is otherwise ended, the tentacles freeze in place as self-supported pillars of basalt and obsidian over the course of one round. These structures have AC 15 and 30 hit points per inch of thickness, and may be sculpted as the caster desires.

Dragons_Ire
2019-01-14, 04:19 PM
That's insanely cool. Seems pretty strong though, I'd remove the bludgeoning damage, require the caster's action to keep using the tentacles, and maybe tone down the disintegration effect a bit. I can see this murdering bosses otherwise :smalltongue:

Fable Wright
2019-01-18, 01:29 AM
That's insanely cool. Seems pretty strong though, I'd remove the bludgeoning damage, require the caster's action to keep using the tentacles, and maybe tone down the disintegration effect a bit. I can see this murdering bosses otherwise :smalltongue:

Well, let's compare other effects on this level.

Shapechange: Have you seen an adult dragon as an adventurer? If so, you can have a breath weapon that deals 12d10 damage, or average 66, compared to Magma Kraken's 70, or 20d6. In addition to an extra 200-some HP. And Legendary resistance on demand. And swapping the damage types. And it lasts for an hour/multiple combats.

Meteor Swarm: Deals 40d6 straight up. Magma Kraken does half that, for a longer duration. Compare Fireball vs Call Lightning: Average 28 damage now vs average 17.5 over time, which is pretty comparable damage ratios.

You are right, though, this definitely needs to take an action. :smallredface:

The disintegration effect is pretty limited. If your boss is already in a state where they have a movement speed of 0, they're already in a fairly fatal position.

Dragons_Ire
2019-01-19, 09:31 AM
Well, let's compare other effects on this level.

Shapechange: Have you seen an adult dragon as an adventurer? If so, you can have a breath weapon that deals 12d10 damage, or average 66, compared to Magma Kraken's 70, or 20d6. In addition to an extra 200-some HP. And Legendary resistance on demand. And swapping the damage types. And it lasts for an hour/multiple combats.

Meteor Swarm: Deals 40d6 straight up. Magma Kraken does half that, for a longer duration. Compare Fireball vs Call Lightning: Average 28 damage now vs average 17.5 over time, which is pretty comparable damage ratios.

You are right, though, this definitely needs to take an action. :smallredface:

The disintegration effect is pretty limited. If your boss is already in a state where they have a movement speed of 0, they're already in a fairly fatal position.

That's a fair point. I guess Legendary Resistance would help prevent hold person/monster cheese too.