PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Alter Self Form

Yogibear41
2018-12-19, 01:07 AM
I am a Native Outsider. I am looking for an Alter Self form that has a racial bonus to Spellcraft checks.
Is there a form that I can take to gain this bonus?

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-12-19, 01:15 AM
Going human gives you 3 skill points + 1 per level and a bonus feat of your choice...

Too bad you're not humanoid. :smalltongue:

Yogibear41
2018-12-19, 01:24 AM
Bonus skill points are basically useless if I'm already capped at max ranks anyway.

Saintheart
2018-12-19, 02:32 AM
Rakshasha? The monster stats give it Spellcraft +11.

Racial Skills: A rakshasa’s outsider levels give it skill points equal to 10 × (8 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Bluff, Disguise, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Sense Motive, and Spot. A rakshasa has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks, and it can gain further bonuses by using change shape (+10 on Disguise checks) and detect thoughts (+4 on Bluff and Disguise checks).

Only problem is the 7 HD.

There's Jaebrin from the MM5 with Spellcraft as a class skill, but they're fey.

Yogibear41
2018-12-19, 02:49 AM
Won't work basically what you would gain from this is +4 to Bluff and Disguise, you only gain the Racial bonuses from alter self. Basically stuff like elves and dwarves +2 to certain skills, it specifically has to say racial bonus to spellcraft or something like that.

Saintheart
2018-12-19, 03:00 AM
On a quick look around I think unfortunately it's going to be a bit tricky to find something in the racial bonuses area to do the job. There's Spellscales who get an untyped Spellcraft bonus equal to half their level, but the problem again is the Outsider thing. No way to pull this off with a custom skill-bonus magic item or similar?

Malphegor
2018-12-19, 04:59 AM
I can't find any on my search through the srd ones, but maybe there's something in a web supplement or one of the monster manuals I've forgotten about. (I know genies typically have spellcraft, Efreetis are 10hd... couatls are like 9 or so... Gah, polymorph is so much easier to deal with than alter self)

Gah, why do so few of the outsiders have spellcraft?

BE MAGIC! AAAGH

(side note, if you ever want AC for AC's sake, Dwarven Ancestor from MMIV is pretty rad if you want AC whilst retaining enough humanoid structure that spells, etc are unaffected. 5HD, AC26, stone large dwarf. It's like being Hagrid... But made out of granite.)