PDA

View Full Version : looking for

Chrollo
2018-12-19, 08:34 AM
im looking for a guide whit level progression on a coffelock build. if some one would be a nice enough to help me

Blood of Gaea
2018-12-19, 09:28 AM
Start with 5 levels of Sorcerer, then 2 levels of Warlock, then take the rest in Sorcerer.

Chrollo
2018-12-19, 09:30 AM
Start with 5 levels of Sorcerer, then 2 levels of Warlock, then take the rest in Sorcerer.

i mean i need a lv by lv im starting at lv 6

Keravath
2018-12-19, 10:05 AM
You might want to ask your DM before putting any effort into it ... most DMs I know of won't let sorcerers generate infinite spell slots by taking unlimited short rests and cycling warlock spell slots into spell points and back to spell slots - then back to spell points as needed.

Also, the build will need three levels of warlock eventually to be efficient since that will generate 2 level 2 slots worth 4 SP that can be cycled into two first level slots every short rest. Otherwise you will only add one first level slot every short rest.

However, if your DM lets you take 8 short rests/long rest ... that turns into 8 extra first level spell slots at level 2 warlock or 16 at level 3 warlock (and at least level 4 sorcerer - since you can't have more SP than your maximum).

The ways to do this usually either involve being an elf who only needs a 4 hour trance leaving 4 hours for short rests while the party completes a long rest. It is still four additional first level spell slots. However, the trance will count as a long rest and thus remove any previously acquired extra slots. A level 3 warlock would create 8 first level slots (or some combination of 1st, 2nd and 3rd slots if the sorcerer class is at least level 5).

However, everyone who needs to sleep will need to take a long rest. Xanathar's has rules for going without a long rest but the description cites only sleep deprivation and the resulting exhaustion as side effects. This may allow a creature who does not need to sleep to be able to avoid the penalties of taking a long rest.

The only way to go without sleep indefinitely would appear to be a Tome pact warlock with the Aspect of the Moon invocation from Xanathar's.

However, Jeremy Crawford stated that not needing sleep does not remove the need for long rests.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/938568519385456641

On the other hand, the rules don't seem to contain any requirement that characters take a long rest (so the "need for long rests" cited in the tweet above doesn't actually seem to exist in the rules) and the only penalties related to not taking a long rest are based on sleep deprivation (which could be extended to creatures needing a trance, shut down or other form of rest). However, a creature that doesn't need sleep at all would appear not to need a long rest unless they wish to restore long rest resources.

In any case :) ... before building one ... check with your DM since if they won't allow it there is no point in wasting your time trying to build one. Short and long rest requirements and how many short rests a DM might allow you during a long rest is at the DM discretion. A short rest is a period of at least 1 hour ... but a DM could easily say that if everyone is resting then your short rest takes 8 hours since it is one rest being taken and not a series of separate rests ... in which case the whole "coffee lock" attempt to exploit certain rules will not work.

Chrollo
2018-12-19, 10:07 AM
You might want to ask your DM before putting any effort into it ... most DMs I know of won't let sorcerers generate infinite spell slots by taking unlimited short rests and cycling warlock spell slots into spell points and back to spell slots - then back to spell points as needed.

Also, the build will need three levels of warlock eventually to be efficient since that will generate 2 level 2 slots worth 4 SP that can be cycled into two first level slots every short rest. Otherwise you will only add one first level slot every short rest.

However, if your DM lets you take 8 short rests/long rest ... that turns into 8 extra first level spell slots at level 2 warlock or 16 at level 3 warlock (and at least level 4 sorcerer - since you can't have more SP than your maximum).

The ways to do this usually either involve being an elf who only needs a 4 hour trance leaving 4 hours for short rests while the party completes a long rest. It is still four additional first level spell slots. However, the trance will count as a long rest and thus remove any previously acquired extra slots. A level 3 warlock would create 8 first level slots (or some combination of 1st, 2nd and 3rd slots if the sorcerer class is at least level 5).

However, everyone who needs to sleep will need to take a long rest. Xanathar's has rules for going without a long rest but the description cites only sleep deprivation and the resulting exhaustion as side effects. This may allow a creature who does not need to sleep to be able to avoid the penalties of taking a long rest.

The only way to go without sleep indefinitely would appear to be a Tome pact warlock with the Aspect of the Moon invocation from Xanathar's.

However, Jeremy Crawford stated that not needing sleep does not remove the need for long rests.
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/938568519385456641

On the other hand, the rules don't seem to contain any requirement that characters take a long rest (so the "need for long rests" cited in the tweet above doesn't actually exist in the rules) and the only penalties related to not taking a long rest are based on sleep deprivation (which could be extended to creatures needing a trance, shut down or other form of rest). However, a creature that doesn't need sleep at all would appear not to need a long rest unless they wish to restore long rest resources.

In any case :) ... before building one ... check with your DM since if they won't allow it there is no point in wasting your time trying to build one. Short and long rest requirements and how many short rests a DM might allow you during a long rest is at the DM discretion. A short rest is a period of at least 1 hour ... but a DM could easily say that if everyone is resting then your short rest takes 8 hours since it is one rest being taken and not a series of separate rests ... in which case the whole "coffee lock" attempt to exploit certain rules will not work.

i already talked, i will be sleeping like 1 day and a day whit out sleep kinda thing.

can some 1 just help me instead of commenting on what else i should do. like i don't want to be an asz but <_<

Galithar
2018-12-19, 08:03 PM
Three levels of Warlock. 17 of Sorcerer.

Exact level progression varies depending on your goal, but here's my preferred leveling order.

Warlock 2 Hexblade - This gets you your Invocations, I usually start with either two utility Invocations or two EB Invocations depending on what I want to focus on as a Warlock. Since we're only getting 3 levels total that means you can only change one of them once so think long term. If you're going to rely solely in Coffeelocks slots then EB Invocations probably aren't needed and something like Devil's Sight and Mask of Many Faces might be better for you. Plus Hexblade gets us that sweet medium armor and shield proficiency.

Warlock 2/Sorcerer 5 - We delayed our spell progression a lot with those two levels in Warlock and need to catch up now. We at least need to get our Metamagic and level 3 slots. I like Divine Soul, but it depends on what you want to do with the character which bloodline is best.

Warlock 3/Sorcerer 5 - coming back to pick up our pact boon and upgrade pact magic slots to level 2 to double our Coffeelocks efficiency. We can swap one of our Invocations here if we need to. Maybe off of Agonizing Blast now that we can better rely on Coffeelock slots for combat.

Then everything else into Sorcerer unless for some reason you really need another invocation, or ASI.

Naanomi
2018-12-20, 12:03 AM
Technically Undying Patron also removes the need for sleep

If the GM enforces the ‘even without sleep you need long rests’ rule... Divine Soul Sorcerer will still get you Restoration to remove those penalties