PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Revised Fighter Draft (NEW:Cavalier Part 1)

cesius
2018-12-19, 12:56 PM
A thread in the 5e subforum got me thinking about reworking the Fighter class. The core features are meant to stress two facets: a focus on technique and form, and a sense of physicality.

Class Features
Unchanged

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features

1st
+2
Fighting Style, Second Wind

2nd
+2
Combat Expertise, Unarmored Defense

3rd
+2
Martial Archetype

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Extra Attack

6th
+3
Martial Archetype Feature

7th
+3
Martial Presence (Ability Checks)

8th
+3

9th
+4
Action Surge

10th
+4

11th
+4
Extra Attack (2)

12th
+4

13th
+5
Renewed Vigor

14th
+5

15th
+5
Martial Presence (Saving Throws)

16th
+5

17th
+6

18th
+6
Extra Attack (3)

19th
+6

20th
+6
Indomitable

Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls your make with ranged weapons.
Defense
Damage that you take weapon and spell attacks is reduced by two.
Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
Great Weapon Fighting
When you are wielding a melee weapon in two hands, you gain a +1 bonus to AC. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property.
Protection
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
Two-Weapon Fighting
When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack.

Almost unchanged. I made Defense more useful at lower levels and against horde or multiattack style damage to give the impression of rolling with the punches. I based GWF on the defensive applications of a two-handed weapon, but I'm not entirely pleased with it and feel like that's the one which could probably use the most revision or different ideas. I changed it from the original because that was the only Fighting Style that required rolling dice.

Second Wind
No changes.

Unarmored Defense
Beginning at 2nd level, while you are wearing no armor and not wielding a shield, your AC equals 10+your Dexterity modifier+your Strength modifier.
I put this in purely because it aggravated me the trained combat expert could have worse AC than a wizard or sorcerer in an unarmored setting because they may have higher Dexterity than an armor-based fighter. The intent is this ability not be useful 90% of the time and not mesh well with most character builds. Could one double down on Str and Dex to get 20 AC (10+5+5)? Yes, but then I think the sacrifice comes from Constitution and there's no difference in to-hit and damage bonus compared to a normal Strength or Dex build which can get 20 (heavy plate and shield) and 19 AC (studded leather and shield+5 Dex), respectively. Any ideas on a more elegant solution (which is not open to abuse) to this issue would be quite welcome.
Beginning at 2nd level your physical abilities and practice in your fighting style have brought to the peak for a practitioner of your experience. You gain an expertise for your fighting style and choose one other. Expertises use a superiority die which is a d4.

Dueling - Riposte. When a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to inflict damage to it equal to the number you roll on your superiority die.
Defense - Parry. When another creature damages you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to reduce the damage by the number you roll on your superiority die.
Archery - Precision Attack. When you make a ranged weapon attack against a creature with half cover or three-quarters cover, you can add the number you roll on your superiority die to your attack roll.
Great Weapon Fighting - Sweeping Attack. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, you can use your bonus action to deal damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die to another creature within 5 feet of the original target and within your reach.
Protection - Goading Attack. When you hit a creature with a melee attack, you can use your bonus action to impose a penalty equal to the number you roll on your superiority die to the target’s attack rolls against targets other than you until the end of your next turn.
Two-Weapon Fighting - Feinting Attack. When you take the Attack action and miss a target and use your bonus action to make a weapon attack with a different weapon in your other hand you gain a bonus to hit and damage against the same target equal to the number you roll on your superiority die.

Disarming Strike. Once per turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can use your bonus action to attempt to disarm the target. Make a Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check opposed by the target’s Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check. You can add the number you roll on your superiority die to your check. If you win the contest the target must drop one item of your choice that it’s holding. The object lands at its feet.
Distracting Strike. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you give your allies an opening. The next attack roll against the target by an attacker other than you gain a bonus to hit equal to the number you roll on your superiority die.
Evasive Footwork. When you move you gain a bonus to AC equal to the number you roll on your superiority die.
Lunging Attack. When finish a move 15 feet or more from where you started you gain a bonus to damage equal to the number you roll on your superiority die to the next melee weapon damage roll you make before the end of your turn.
Trip Attack. Once per turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can use your bonus action to attempt to knock the target prone. Make a Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check opposed by the target’s Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check. You can add the number you roll on your superiority die to your check. If you win the contest you knock the target prone.
Push Attack. Once per turn when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can use your bonus action to attempt to drive the target back. Make a Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check opposed by the target’s Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Acrobatics) check. You can add the number you roll on your superiority die to your check. If you win the contest you push the target up to 15 feet away from you.
The largest change I made. I placed this at 2nd level and made it apply to the class as a whole because it goes with what happens in Paladin and Ranger at second level where they gain Fighting Style and more class identity in the form of spell casting (and Smite for Paladin). I made the abilities resource-independent to preserve the "sit down and play"/"fighters can just keep going" feel of the core class. To balance that I reduced the die to a d4. Roughly speaking this translates to a 68% chance of rolling a 2 or a 3 which I felt wasn't too powerful for the contexts in which it gets applied. I did limit the Disarm, Trip, and Push to once per turn as otherwise it could get a little crazy with multiple attacks. Changing those to skill contests brought them in line with the normal rules and avoided Fighter-core having a DC (like some sort of specll caster). Choosing only one superiority and the other coming from Fighting Style makes these important, impactful choices on how a character plays.

The superiority die becomes the Fighter class's 'thing' which ties together different class features and can also can tie into subclasses very well in terms of them granting new superiorities or altering the superiority die. This is why Commander's Strike, Rally, Menacing Attack, and Maneuvering Attack are in the list; I have a good idea of which subclasses they should go with.

As normal for everyone, 'nuff said.
I took out the extra ASIs to make room for class features. I think the ASIs, especially at higher levels, are a hold over from a problem that 3.0 and onward have had in defining it as the "anyone with a weapon and no other special qualities" class and pushing that towards a reliance on non-class features in a class based game. In some ways this is similar to my issue with Fighting Style. Just because Fighter gets is earlier doesn't help define them compared to other classes once another class has it.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 11th level in this class and to four when you reach 18th level in this class.

Almost unchanged, except the last attack becomes the final tier defining class feature so Fighters can play with it before maxing out at 20 rather than the capstone which in other classes is more an enabler to pre-existing purpose(Paladin, Rogue) or resource replenisher/extender (Wizard, Warlock, Sorcerer, Bard).

Martial Presence
By 7th level you have learned to leverage the seeming effortlessness and strength of your physical actions into an air of discretion and circumspection when you lack the right words. You can add the result of rolling your superiority die to any Charisma ability check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.
At 15th level you can add the result of result of rolling your superiority die to any Charisma saving throw you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.
I almost feel like this should come somewhere in tier one, to extend the theme of the class into non-combat scenarios earlier on in play-life. This is to get that feel of the person who isn't the face, but when they talk they're listened to because their presence is like a weight in the room: Master Chief John-117 (Halo series), Cassandra Cain (pre-52 DC comics), Darth Vader (Star Wars), Mac (Dresden Files), Teal'c (Stargate), etc. I don't know, it's kind of hard to describe, but I think most folks who are into RPGs would get the intent?

Action Surge
Mechanically the same, but moved to 9th level.
I felt this was an ability that fit in better at higher levels of play where we see more abilities that are powerful, but balanced by limited use as compared to a second level class-defining feature which is eminently dippable. I think the loss of what is usually an extra attack once per short rest cycles is made up for with Combat Expertise.

Renewed Vigor
Beginning at 13th level, you regain up to all spent Hit Dice from this class at the end of a long rest instead of up to half of the character’s total number of them. You regain spent Hit Dice from other classes, up to half the character’s total number of them.
At 20th level, you gain Advantage on saving throws made at the end of a long rest.

Reinforcing the theme of physicality, this is more a utility ability with subtle power. Being able to burn through HD for short rest healing lessens the need for healing from spell casters and leaves them more spell slots to use for other things. The 20th level upgrade is there mostly for flavor at that point; if people don't think it's too much I could add it into the 13th level portion. I was thinking about doing more with this ability interacting with saves against poison and disease at the end of long rests, but felt the few drafts I did along those lines were too complicated and required too much knowledge of the DMG to be worthwhile universally.

Indomitable
At 20th level when you regain Hit Points you can add your Constitution modifier to the amount you regain and you gain Advantage on saving throws until the end of your next turn.
Similar to other quality of life captstones, this extends the adventuring day for the Fighter and provides an okay bonus.

theVoidWatches
2018-12-19, 01:57 PM
I generally like this concept. I think that the Superiority Die could certainly stand to be boosted as you level up, though - maybe at each tier, so a d6 at level 6, d8 at level 11, d10 at level 17?

JNAProductions
2018-12-19, 02:09 PM
Why Unarmored Defense?

Perhaps allow you to use Proficiency bonus in place of Dex for AC calculations? Or Prof-1 (so it doesn't get BETTER than Dex).

cesius
2018-12-19, 03:14 PM
I generally like this concept. I think that the Superiority Die could certainly stand to be boosted as you level up, though - maybe at each tier, so a d6 at level 6, d8 at level 11, d10 at level 17?
I was worried about disrupting bounded accuracy too much (based off average roll of the different die types). I have some ideas for subclasses that play into it. For example, an Int-based subclass that can add Int modifier to it against studied enemies, a Marshall subclass with Rally being superiority die+Cha modifier+1/4 Fighter level, Champion being an upgraded die, etc.

Why Unarmored Defense?

Perhaps allow you to use Proficiency bonus in place of Dex for AC calculations? Or Prof-1 (so it doesn't get BETTER than Dex).
I went with the name to keep whatever the mechanics are from being stackable with other forms of Unarmored Defense (so no multiclassing into Monk or Barbarian and getting 10+Wis+Whatever or 10+Con+Whatever). It may be my prejudice, but I considered something similar and chose not to go with it because the thought of a level 2 Fighter with AC 13 (Dex 12) still seemed too low out of armor. I figured an AC of 14 or 15 would be most likely (18 Dex, 18 Str, or 16 Str and 12 to 14 Dex, for example).

cesius
2018-12-23, 11:36 PM
Marshall

Fellowship Superiority
At 3rd level, you gain the Commander’s Strike superiority and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability checking using Insight or Persuasion.

Commander’s Strike. When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and use a to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding your superiority die to the attack’s damage roll.

Camp Coordination
Starting at 6th level, when you perform a short or long rest, you and friendly creatures within 30 feet have Advantage on Wisdom(Perception) checks. When you perform a Forced March, you and friendly creatures within 30 feet have Advantage on your Constitution saving throw.

Cooperative Advantage
Starting at 10th level, when you use Commander’s Strike, friendly creatures adjacent to the target of the attack add your superiority die to damage rolls against the target until the beginning of your next turn.

Leverage Strengths
Beginning at 14th level, when you target a friendly creature with an effect which uses your superiority die, you can add their highest ability modifier to the die roll.

Master Tactician
By 17th level, you offer advice and coordinate your colleagues effortlessly. Friendly creatures within 30 feet that can see or hear you can add your superiority die to hit rolls.

Vanguard

To Battle!
Starting at 3rd level, your speed increases by 5 feet while you move towards an unfriendly creature. You also gain the Rally superiority.

Rally. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to bolster the resolve of one of your companions. When you do so, choose a friendly who can see or hear you. That creatures gains temporary hit points equal to the superiority die roll + your Charisma modifier.

Heroic Intervention
Beginning at 6th level you can use your reaction to advance when a friendly creature you can see or hear is hit by an attack or takes damage. You move 10 feet towards the friendly creature. If you finish the move adjacent to them then they gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.
The distance you can move is increased to 20 feet at 14th level.

Bull Rush
Beginning at 10th level, when you use a superiority after finishing your movement more than 20 feet from where you started your turn you can double the result of the superiority die.

Rampart Taker
Starting at 14th level, you double your proficiency bonus when making an ability check with the Athletics proficiency. If you are adjacent to two or more unfriendly creatures your superiority die gains a +1 bonus to rolls for each creature beyond the first.

First To The Fray
By 17th level, you have developed a preternatural sense of when your allies are going to act. In the first round of combat, you get an additional turn at the highest initiative of a friendly creature within 30 feet.

Composer99
2018-12-24, 01:27 AM
Neat re-work.

I haven't looked at the subclasses yet, but two things stand out:

(1) Since you suggest the final extra attack should be the tier-defining feature, that would imply it should come online at 17th level, matching the tier-defining breakpoints at which earlier extra attack features come online, meaning the final archetype feature would arrive at 18th level. Did you consider that and reject it? If so, would you mind explaining further?

(2) Did you consider having additional combat superiority options to choose from at higher levels? If not, is that something you would consider?

cesius
2018-12-24, 01:51 PM
Neat re-work.
(1) Since you suggest the final extra attack should be the tier-defining feature, that would imply it should come online at 17th level, matching the tier-defining breakpoints at which earlier extra attack features come online, meaning the final archetype feature would arrive at 18th level. Did you consider that and reject it? If so, would you mind explaining further?

(2) Did you consider having additional combat superiority options to choose from at higher levels? If not, is that something you would consider?
To first, I completely spaced on that, I'll definitely be swapping the two around.

To the second, I haven't for two reasons. First, in part because my goal was for the class to have the same sort of early definition that Paladins and Rangers (the other two members of the "we used to all be fighters in 2e and it shows in 5e" triad) have where later class features build on themes introduced early. My intent was for each superiority to be its own mini-theme whose choice would aid in defining a character. A character getting to have too many superiorities in the core class, I felt, would defeat the purpose. Mind you, this is where feedback is great. I though two (one of which was determined by Fighting Style) and maybe an extra one from subclass was appropriate for that; do you think knowing one or two more would not broaden the core class or cause too much overlap between builds? Semi-aside: at the moment, I'm planning on the Battle Master subclass to be the "has a bunch of superiorities" subclass. Second, I wanted the Fighter to remain relatively straightforward in terms of cognitive load; not a ton to keep track of compared to some other classes. I felt more than two superiorities might enter the realm of "I have to check my character sheet every time I'm about to take an action to see what I can do."

Composer99
2018-12-24, 09:22 PM
To first, I completely spaced on that, I'll definitely be swapping the two around.

To the second, I haven't for two reasons. First, in part because my goal was for the class to have the same sort of early definition that Paladins and Rangers (the other two members of the "we used to all be fighters in 2e and it shows in 5e" triad) have where later class features build on themes introduced early. My intent was for each superiority to be its own mini-theme whose choice would aid in defining a character. A character getting to have too many superiorities in the core class, I felt, would defeat the purpose. Mind you, this is where feedback is great. I though two (one of which was determined by Fighting Style) and maybe an extra one from subclass was appropriate for that; do you think knowing one or two more would not broaden the core class or cause too much overlap between builds? Semi-aside: at the moment, I'm planning on the Battle Master subclass to be the "has a bunch of superiorities" subclass. Second, I wanted the Fighter to remain relatively straightforward in terms of cognitive load; not a ton to keep track of compared to some other classes. I felt more than two superiorities might enter the realm of "I have to check my character sheet every time I'm about to take an action to see what I can do."

Granting that it's my opinion, but I think it is one of the flaws of the battlemaster that (a) the pool of manoeuvres available for you to pick from dwindles as you gain levels, and (b) what's more, since you're going to pick the ones you like the best/want the most first, the deeper you go into the class, the worse the manoeuvres are that are left to choose from (depending on your viewpoint - optimisation, fun, closest to your character concept, etc.).

As a contrast, both paladins and rangers actually do get a suite of abilities where (a) the pool of available abilities to choose grows, rather than shrinks, as they gain levels, and (b) they get more powerful and/or versatile options as they gain levels, and not just leftovers - and that suite of abilities is their spellcasting. Ranger is certainly more constrained because it uses spells known (and gets so few of them), but at least it can swap them out over time.

Now, unlike the PHB battlemaster manoeuvres or paladin & ranger spells, your superiorities
are usable at will. When a resource is use-limited, it's easier to justify being able to achieve more with that resource as you gain levels. So I think it's quite justifiable not having a big load-out of fancy new abilities at higher levels, because weapon attacks are meant to be martials' at-will schtick. For that same reason, I think you can justify not having the superiority dice scale (although maybe going to d6 at 11th level or thereabouts is fine).

However, I also don't think it's too much to ask players to have one more thing to keep track of at higher levels - say, an extra superiority option somewhere between 9th and 12th level.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about overlap. In the first place, versatility is good, so fighters who can do more than one thing really well is a good thing - I would say that ought to be a strength of the fighter. In the second place, getting a lot of the same tricks as other members of your class is part of the design of 5e. (Mearls discusses it in his Happy Fun Hour videos, when he talks about how the wizard subclasses were designed - each subclass incentivises specialising in the spells of its respective school of magic, but you can still cast other spells and be competent at them.)

Anyway, having written all that (when I should be wrapping presents, natch), if your battlemaster is going to be the "haz moar superioriteaz" subclass, I think that would be just fine with the way you've designed the class.

What if you called them, say, exploits? That rolls off the tongue, so to speak, a little more easily, methinks?

cesius
2018-12-26, 08:34 PM
However, I also don't think it's too much to ask players to have one more thing to keep track of at higher levels - say, an extra superiority option somewhere between 9th and 12th level.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about overlap. In the first place, versatility is good, so fighters who can do more than one thing really well is a good thing - I would say that ought to be a strength of the fighter. In the second place, getting a lot of the same tricks as other members of your class is part of the design of 5e. (Mearls discusses it in his Happy Fun Hour videos, when he talks about how the wizard subclasses were designed - each subclass incentivises specialising in the spells of its respective school of magic, but you can still cast other spells and be competent at them.)

Anyway, having written all that (when I should be wrapping presents, natch), if your battlemaster is going to be the "haz moar superioriteaz" subclass, I think that would be just fine with the way you've designed the class.

What if you called them, say, exploits? That rolls off the tongue, so to speak, a little more easily, methinks?

Hmm, exploit makes me think a bit too much of rogues, but I think Combat Expertise for the feature name and it gives different types of expertise....

I think what I'd do is replace the Martial Adept feat with something equivalent: +1 Strength or Con and gain d4 superiority die and an expertise which you can use once per short rest; if you already have a class feature which grants superiority die then you just add it to your list of expertise. This would let other classes dabble, like Magic Initiate but not be as good while being an option to expand the number known for fighters without losing the entirety of an ASI for the feat.

Here's the Battle Master first draft:

A Step Ahead
Beginning at 3rd level, you gain the Maneuvering Attack expertise and you can use your Intelligence modifier to Athletics or Acrobatics when attempting to knock down or push a creature instead of Strength or Dexterity.

Maneuvering Attack. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can use your bonus action to maneuver one of your comrades into a more advantageous position. You choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you. That creature can move up to half its speed without provoking opportunity attacks from the target of your attack and gains a bonus to AC against opportunity attacks from other creatures equal to the roll of your superiority die.

Student of Violence
By 6th level, your continued studies of combat have given you a broader level of expertise in a variety of combat techniques. You gain an additional two expertise of your choice.
You gain an additional expertise at 10th level and at 14th level.

Maestro’s Touch
Starting at 10th level, once per round you can add your Intelligence modifier to the result of your superiority die roll.

Know Your Enemy
Beginning at 14th level, you can analyze the attacks and defense of an opponent to look for openings. As an action, make an Intelligence(Insight) check opposed by the target’s Charisma(Deception). If you win, you gain a bonus to damage and AC against the target equal to your Intelligence modifier (to a minimum of 1) for one minute. The target can use its action to make a Charisma(Deception) check opposed by your Intelligence(Insight) in order to end this effect.

Technique Distillation
18th level, blah blah. You can use two expertises you know that share an action at once. For example, you could use Lunging Attack with Evasive Footwork, both movement, or use Precision Attack with Disarming Strike, both an action using a weapon attack. If attacking, roll to hit once and for damage once, roll both the superiority die for each separately.
You can use this ability twice. You regain all uses with a short or long rest.

Ninjadeadbeard
2018-12-26, 09:22 PM
I very much like what's here so far. I just wanted to throw out a couple ideas.

1) For Unarmored Defense, why not go with the Barbarian version? Dex+Con+Shield would fit the Fighter neatly, especially since your Fighter also emphasizes their physicality later in the class.

2) I don't like the name for Graceful Restrain. Calling it Presence is actually pretty cool imho.

3) As cool as your rework is, I am curious how you will handle other Fighter concepts, such as the Samurai, Cavalier, and Eldritch Knight archetypes.

cesius
2018-12-28, 12:11 PM
1) For Unarmored Defense, why not go with the Barbarian version? Dex+Con+Shield would fit the Fighter neatly, especially since your Fighter also emphasizes their physicality later in the class.
Two reasons, the first of which I think the is most straightforward: I didn't feel like that level of crossover between Fighter and Barbarian was appropriate. I've always interpreted the Barbarian Unarmored Defense - because of how abstracted AC and hp are - as being tough enough that minor hits and scratches are not actually a threat to fighting ability; i.e. an attack has to 'hit' (Dex to AC) and then be an actual 'threat' to this leathery bear mountain of a person's fighting capacity (Con to AC). I don't feel like core Fighter should have a similar feel. I don't feel Strength fighters running around without armor is appropriate to what (I think) they're suppose to represent. At the same time, I do think they should be better at defense out of armor than other non-martial hyper-focused classes. I think it makes sense from a narrative perspective. At the same time, I didn't want to add more power to the Fighter class or break up the dual nature of most Fighters: does one go Strength or Dexterity? 5e really seems to stress each as a distinct style with the way Finesse weapons work and Dexterity and Strength interact with different armors. Trying to go hard in both is something of a fool's errand without some very lucky stat rolls. So a Dex fighter is basically where they were when unarmored and a Strength fighter gets a bit of a boost at times when unexpected violence breaks out and they won't flip out because they're not in armor. One could view this as the fighter realizing that without armor they have to focus more on covering the line of attack with their own strikes or what have you. D&D isn't simulationist and I think most fighter players and DMs could role with it.

2) I don't like the name for Graceful Restrain. Calling it Presence is actually pretty cool imho.
I agree and made the change. I've gone with Martial Presence, but I'm can't make up my mind if Presence actually needed the adjective or not.

3) As cool as your rework is, I am curious how you will handle other Fighter concepts, such as the Samurai, Cavalier, and Eldritch Knight archetypes.
I'll put them on the short list for work ups.

cesius
2019-01-14, 05:50 PM
Two things happened here. First, I split the vestigial 3.5/4th edition mounted combat angle off into its own subclass (that'll be part 2). Second, I conversation I had with some friends gave me an interesting angle for subclasses: historical warrior types. So I give you the Huscarl.

Bodyguard’s Expertise
By 3rd level, you have developed a sense of danger to yourself and those you are watching over. When you make an ability check using Insight or Perception to assess a possible threat to you, add the result of rolling your superiority die.

Unwavering Mark
at 3rd level, you can use your bonus action to mark a creature. While a you are adjacent to the marked creature, it has disadvantage on any attack roll that does not target you. If the marked creature deals damage to a friendly creature with any attack or spell that does not include you then you gain advantage on attacks against them until the end of your next turn.

Warding Maneuver
At 7th level, you learn to interpose yourself between strikes directed at other creatures nearby. If an adjacent friendly creature you can see is hit by an attack, you can roll your superiority die if you’re wielding a weapon or a shield. Roll the die, and add your proficiency bonus and Constitution modifier (minimum of one). The damage is reduced by that much.
You can use this feature three times and regain all expended uses of it when you finish a long rest.

Sentry’s Conditioning
At 10th level, you can stand watch for up to four hours with it still counting as light activity. In addition, you can double your proficiency bonus when making Insight or Perception skill checks.

Shoulder-to-Shoulder
At 14th level, when you use the Help action, all of your ally’s attacks against the target before your next turn have advantage. When you use the Dodge action, all friendly creatures within 5 feet of you gain a +2 bonus to AC and Dexterity saving throws.

Hold The Line
At 18th level, you can make attacks of opportunity without using your reaction. When you use this feature, your attacks of opportunity reduce a creature’s movement to zero if they are hit
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum of once) and regain all expended uses of it when you finish a short rest.