PDA

View Full Version : The never, ever run out of spells character?

Particle_Man
2018-12-19, 01:15 PM
This is just an idea, putting together other things I have seen on this forum.

I realize that this is in no way an optimized character; it really comes off as more of some sort of NPC, in my mind. Someone that just . . . casts all day.

Anyhow, here are some strands of the idea:

1) Diviner wizard 6 can "recycle" used spell slots when casting higher level divination spells (from any class's known spells).
2) Order cleric 6 can "recycle" used spell slots when casting higher level enchantment spells (from any class's known spells).
3) Sorcerer 2 can turn spell slots into spell points and can turn spell points into spell slots. Also, Sorcerer 3 gets metamagic, which is really sweet!
4) Warlock 2 gets back spells on short rests, and gets invocations, which is also pretty sweet!

Sooooo . . .

Start with order cleric 6 (some armour is nice, especially at low levels).
Throw in Sorcerer 2 (actually, let's go to 3 - enchantment/divination spells and subtle metamagic go together like cookies and milk). Not sure what bloodline.
Dipping Warlock 2 can't hurt. Perhaps with the fey patron to get a few more enchantment spells?
Then get around to diviner wizard 6.

So we are up to 17th level - 9th level spell slots (but alas no 9th level spells, but hey, upcasting is a thing!).

As long as one casts divination and enchantment spells (from any of four spell lists!) one can recycle expended lower level spell slots, and those could in turn either be filled with spells or turned into spell points (for subtle metamagic, or to recycle as higher level spell slots). The warlock side also give some spells to turn into points before a short rest.

I was thinking of going bard 3 (lore?) for the last three levels just to add some more variety to the spells known (and hey, get even *more* cantrips!) but that might be gilding the lily. I could also push cleric, sorcerer, warlock or wizard a bit higher.

So, what do you guys think? Leaving optimization aside, are there other things I can do with the last 3 levels to cast even more spells in a day? Should I go warlock 3 to get tome lock to get even more spells (albeit ritual spells)?

Malifice
2018-12-19, 01:19 PM
This is just an idea, putting together other things I have seen on this forum.

I realize that this is in no way an optimized character; it really comes off as more of some sort of NPC, in my mind. Someone that just . . . casts all day.

Anyhow, here are some strands of the idea:

1) Diviner wizard 6 can "recycle" used spell slots when casting higher level divination spells (from any class's known spells).
2) Order cleric 6 can "recycle" used spell slots when casting higher level enchantment spells (from any class's known spells).
3) Sorcerer 2 can turn spell slots into spell points and can turn spell points into spell slots. Also, Sorcerer 3 gets metamagic, which is really sweet!
4) Warlock 2 gets back spells on short rests, and gets invocations, which is also pretty sweet!

Sooooo . . .

Start with order cleric 6 (some armour is nice, especially at low levels).
Throw in Sorcerer 2 (actually, let's go to 3 - enchantment/divination spells and subtle metamagic go together like cookies and milk). Not sure what bloodline.
Dipping Warlock 2 can't hurt. Perhaps with the fey patron to get a few more enchantment spells?
Then get around to diviner wizard 6.

So we are up to 17th level - 9th level spell slots (but alas no 9th level spells, but hey, upcasting is a thing!).

Pact magic doesnt play nice with spellcasting. You only have 8th level spells (15 caster levels), but you also have 2 x 1st level slots per short rest.

MilkmanDanimal
2018-12-19, 01:21 PM
Three Warlock levels gets you Pact of the Tome for more cantrips, plus Book of Ancient Secrets for rituals. Sure, those aren't "run out-able", but, if you want a character with silly numbers of spells, that's a way to do it.

strangebloke
2018-12-19, 01:35 PM
I mean, it works, but enchantment and divination aren't the best schools and you won't know very high-level spells like this.

You also will run out of spells eventually. Every casting you 1 level's worth of spells, every time you "Sell up" you're going to lose several levels of spells.

You could take more levels of warlock, but at some point you're just a coffeelock.

Still, its a fun concept.

Wildarm
2018-12-19, 02:34 PM
Just a side note, Order Domain's 6th level ability has been changed in Guide to Ravnica. You don't regain slots but instead can cast enchantments as a bonus action(Wis Times/Day). So, you'd need to get permission for the UA version of the Order Domain.

You can spam spells all day long with just a single feature like that. Upcasting Hold Person and Dominate Person is your primary use of the ability. Against non-humaniods you can use Upcast Command(if they can understand you) or Compulsion.

You might want to dip Bard 1 just to get access to Dissonant Whispers or Wizard 1 for Sleep as both of those spells provide a somewhat flexible upcast as well. You can almost treat them as a cantrip if you don't have much that you regularly do with your highest level slots.

I would not bother dipping more than 1-2 levels and definitely not in Warlock which loses you spell slot progress which is amplified by the spell slot recovery.

Assuming you can cast enchantments all the time your spell slots goes to something like this(@20)

4/3/3/3/3/2/2/1/1

22/18/15/12/9/2/2/2/1

The underlying problem with all of this is that pretty much every good enchantment spell you have access to as an Order Domain cleric requires concentration. That's why I recommend the wizard or bard dip to allow you to spam an upcast a non-concentration spell. I particularly like the bard dip to effectively get Dissonant Whispers as a cantrip.

If you can somehow get your DM to agree to the UA Order Domain and the Ravnica Rakdos Guild background you can gain access to DW without even dipping.

JNAProductions
2018-12-19, 02:36 PM
Another issue is that you recover EXPENDED slots, so you'd have to cast a 1st level spell, then a 2nd, then a 3rd...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can recover slots higher than 5th.

Wildarm
2018-12-19, 02:40 PM
Another issue is that you recover EXPENDED slots, so you'd have to cast a 1st level spell, then a 2nd, then a 3rd...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can recover slots higher than 5th.

You're right. Forgot that caveat. Updated the caster progression in the post. Expended spell slots isn't a big deal. You're going to be using a mix of spells so you should often have a 1st to 5th level slot to recover.

Guy Lombard-O
2018-12-19, 02:55 PM
Well, you do have a lot of castings. But you're 17th level!

Or you could just go straight Wizard. At 18th level, you truly do become the all-day caster with Spell Mastery.

Wildarm
2018-12-19, 03:39 PM
Well, you do have a lot of castings. But you're 17th level!

Or you could just go straight Wizard. At 18th level, you truly do become the all-day caster with Spell Mastery.

Unlimited Shield/Absorb Elements/Misty Step is nice for sure. At 18th level, not much else I'd really care that much to have an unlimited amount of without the option to upcast.

MaxWilson
2018-12-19, 04:07 PM
Unlimited Shield/Absorb Elements/Misty Step is nice for sure. At 18th level, not much else I'd really care that much to have an unlimited amount of without the option to upcast.

Unlimited Unseen Servant is lots of fun. Arguably more fun than unlimited Shield, in practice, unless you're literally fighting an army (in which case just swap out your Spell Mastery temporarily).

You can flood the world with Unseen Servants, each a Medium creature (os creature-analogue) with 1 HP which can not only drop grease/caltrops/whatever but also prevents hostile enemies from moving through its space unless they are Huge+. Plus they can wash dishes and mop floors.

You won't really cast hundreds of these, but you could with minimal effort give each of your companions a half-dozen Unseen Servants at all times. People make a big deal of the effect familiars have on action economy and soaking hits, but Unseen Servant is almost as useful.

Disguise Self, Alter Self, Detect Thoughts, Suggestion, Invisibility, Levitate, Phantasmal Force, and Web are also worth considering. Notice what they mostly have in common: you don't usually use them in ways that make action economy or concentration an issue (i.e. not in combat) so the opportunity cost is low.

Dalebert
2018-12-23, 07:04 PM
Unseen servant at will could be a lot of fun. I've made the case for it. That said, it is not a creature and does not block spaces anymore than a spiritual weapon does.

The way to make at will US useful is to make several per character and give each one standing orders that are useful, E.g. "follow the fighter and reload the fighter's crossbow." Or "follow me and pick up any ball bearings within five feet of me. Put them in this bag."

MaxWilson
2018-12-23, 08:17 PM
If you really, seriously want a never-run-out-of-spells character, cross Warlock with 5 levels of Gloomstalker or 3 levels of wizard, for Rope Trick. For extra fun, include a bunch of monks and Moon Druids in your party, so you never run out of ki or wildshape either.

All of this of course assumes that you are murderhobos who don't care about calendars or what happens to NPCs or the game world while you are taking a mandatory chill pill. In practice it won't be "never runs out" but it will still be pretty good.

Furthermore, a party of all druids doesn't really need the Rope Trick. You could rely on Meld Into Stone or wildshape to largely the same effect.