2006-04-21, 11:43 PM
New comic is up.

Overelemental
2006-04-21, 11:45 PM
Aww, how cute :) I like it.

Alchemistmerlin
2006-04-21, 11:45 PM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ;)

Nice job rich. I had a friend who used to joke about the phallic imagery of my character's sword, so this one hits close to home.

Wooo first page!

NeuroSci
2006-04-21, 11:46 PM
Poor Durkon. Why did his chance at romance have to go bad. Now he has to watch Roy, Elan and Haley...

cheseboy
When did she start to like Roy? That sounded like my friend after he learned about the wonders of fiber optics (the kind that can make you invisible (eventually(Did I just use a parenthetical in a parenthetical?)), not the kind that sets up networks).

First Page?
First First Page!

TheJet31619
Darn I wanted to find out what happened between Haley and Elan! Oh well, Rich is just building up suspense.

Martok
2006-04-21, 11:47 PM
LOL! The contemplative look on both their faces as they stare at Roy's sword was hilarious. "Naaaaaaah...." That was great!

Edit: "Thor's Taint"? That's a new one. Appropriate for Durkon, though. :)

Oh yeah: First page! :P

Melnor
2006-04-21, 11:47 PM
Hahahahaha,
Giant, that's awesome!!
I love when the realistic view is proven wrong :P
It makes my life full of so much more meaning...

ElansGroupie
2006-04-21, 11:48 PM
Love it :D Great last panel.

McBish
2006-04-21, 11:49 PM
How cute indeed. So who is Durkon going to eat with?

And yeah with the first time first page. Huzzah.

n11
When did she start to like Roy?

First Page?

I first suspected here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=284), but this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=298) was more of a hint.

Edit: Fixed second link. Also #296 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=296) shows that Elan saw it coming as well.

Ditto
Who's Durkon going to pair up with? ;D

Maybe V will take him on a 'pity' outing, and we'll see what s/he thinks about dating. I bet s/he is the cheating sort, I don't believe in this whole marriage thing... ;)

EDIT: Good simu, McBish :)

McHarty
Bwahahahaha !
The look on their faces... priceless !

GoGoHalfElfRanger
2006-04-21, 11:50 PM
Hm.... Celia saw Roy playing with his sword... awkward...

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-04-21, 11:50 PM
Bout time those two got together, been waiting ever since the trial. I was afraid it'd turn into another Haley-Elan thing...

it's kinda cute how happy Roy is about getting his sword back

EDIT: ooo, first page too; staying up late has its perks!

WeaponMasterLDO
2006-04-21, 11:53 PM
Awwwwwwwww.

Emericol
Bout time those two got together, been waiting ever since the trial. I was afraid it'd turn into another Haley-Elan thing...

it's kinda cute how happy Roy is about getting his sword back

EDIT: ooo, first page too; staying up late has its perks!

Did you mean Roy getting together with his sword, or . . .

Ooops, never mind.

wampus
Swords make you manly, its a fact of life.

phillyphil
Hey Roy ... is that a sword in your pocket or are you just happy to see us?

Wow Haley and Roy both getting a chance to break them off a piece of a little sumthin sumthin!

DragoonStar47
2006-04-21, 11:55 PM
Great comic!

CockroachTeaParty
Ah HA HA HAH AHHA HAHA HA HA HA!

Hooray! Spring is in the air! The Trouser Titan returns!

garylian
Big phallic symbols for the win!

Great comic, Giant!

Starla
2006-04-21, 11:58 PM
I just checked it before my last dose of Aloevera and then here it is! Yea!

I loved the coment about him being happier to have his sword back than being turned back into a man. LOL funny for me!

Euphemism
2006-04-21, 11:58 PM
This is why my main wields a greatsword. ;) Great strip, Giant.

Evik
2006-04-21, 11:59 PM
If it aint the sword...its gotta be da shoes!
LMAO
Perks for Roy YAY

Starla
2006-04-22, 12:01 AM
Hey does Roy have any other clothes? Or the others for that matter?

Will he have a tux? Will he borrow one?

cheseboy
2006-04-22, 12:03 AM
I first suspected here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=284), but this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=284) was more of a hint.

Those are the same link, but thanks. Now I know it's not completly random (The Celia and V shopping for Celia's mystery date aside).

Mr._Blinky
2006-04-22, 12:04 AM
Anyone else think Roy looks badass now that he has his sword back? :)

yuccadude
2006-04-22, 12:07 AM
Watch out Roy, you're gonna put an eye out with that thing...

Valda, Adlav and Samiam: the Jacked-Up Trinity
2006-04-22, 12:09 AM
Grrr... am I destined to forever be on the the non-first pages. Anyway, I liked this, just because I'm more of a RoyxCelia fan, as opposed to a HaleyxElan fan. I like them too, though. Durkon has a point. Roy seemed far more excited about getting his sword back than getting his sword back.

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-04-22, 12:09 AM
Okey dokey, my first reply to the "Comic" discussion thread!

Yeah, funny stuff ;D! But has anyone else ever noticed that when Celia speaks, her word bubble is all blue? Would this suggest that her voice sounds different from everybody else's?

I've always imagined it as a sorta squeaky soundin'. Any thoughts?

Eloco
2006-04-22, 12:11 AM
I just cant get the theme to the "Love Boat" out of my mind reading the last few strips.

oowatie
2006-04-22, 12:12 AM
Actually, I was thinking of "Love Is In The Air", but oh well.

Great comic, Mr. Giant ;D

TinSoldier
2006-04-22, 12:13 AM
Durkon:"THOR'S TAINT, man, will ye stop swingin tha' sword around??"
Made me think of Dies-Horribly in Goblins.

Plus, that's a dirty joke. I'm surprised!

Durkon:"What's wrong is that ye weren't this excited when I turned ye back into a man!"
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Then of course Celia comes in to prove Durkon's comment about carrying big swords around wrong. Coup-de-grace, man, coup-de-grace!

Winged One
2006-04-22, 12:17 AM
I liked the "Naaa..." ;D

Kedrot
2006-04-22, 12:24 AM
The Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah was a good part, i know my buddies have passed that one around a few times. Me: "Hey Mike, I bet you she likes you". Mike: "man what do you know?" Her: "Hey mike, gimme a call after school". Mike and I: "Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

Lilly
2006-04-22, 12:25 AM
Awwww. This one's so cute.

I've really liked these last two strips. A lot.

Gary_Howard
2006-04-22, 12:29 AM
It's great when the girls make the first moves...

Behold_the_Void
2006-04-22, 12:36 AM
The end panel just makes the entire page.

Edna
2006-04-22, 12:38 AM
Looks like Celia decided to buy the blue outfit :)

Edna

Bakta
2006-04-22, 12:45 AM
Doesn't it sounds odd that both Durkon and Roy aswer to the question was no?. Granted Durkon might be a little old, but Roy is showing a lot more maturity any male of this age group should normally.

Edit : Woohoo page 42!!

Hawkeye
2006-04-22, 12:45 AM
Looks like Celia decided to buy the blue outfit :)

Heh, I don't think she hade much choice.

One quote that I think is appropiate is Belkars from 219
"Aw, come ON! she lobbed it right over the plate, at least take a swing"
Lets hope Roy does, he deserves a bit of a break.

Vengeful_Hand
2006-04-22, 12:47 AM

Yeah, funny stuff ;D! But has anyone else ever noticed that when Celia speaks, her word bubble is all blue? Would this suggest that her voice sounds different from everybody else's?

It always struck me as being somewhat lighter than most humanoids. I pictured a more "everyday" version of Arwen's voice from when she first finds Frodo.

It's a little otherworldly, and has a whispering, wind-like quality about it, but is still basically a material plane voice, like all the other races. As far as the tone of it, I pictured a pretty normal voice.

This past week has been so tender. This is awesome, Giant.

theKOT
2006-04-22, 12:49 AM
Roy really is enjoying his sword.... Do you think he's compensating for something? People who have read origins will now what I mean.

I liked this strip because it convinced me on the Roy/Celia thing, which I had previously disliked somewhat. Still, since they are both leaving, it is more likely to be a short, cutesy backround to Haley and Elan's first date. But I could be wrong. Let's see, eh?

Oh, and be warned: I'm about to make a comparison to Harry Potter.
[Harry Potter Comparison]
I think Miko was to Roy what Lavender was to Ron. They both taught the person in question that looks and some similarities do not a good relationship make. Also, it left them ready to have a serious relationship with some depth.
[/Harry Potter Comparison]

SabreGuy
2006-04-22, 12:57 AM
He did not... NOT... just say Thor's TAINT?!?!?! ROFL! That may be my favorite line in this comic ever! :P

Railith
2006-04-22, 01:00 AM
The ladies love guys with huge weapons, big swords too.

I'm not proud of that comment, but the comic was good.

Hyrael
2006-04-22, 01:04 AM
I second that. damn, being socialy inept sucks. :-/
I can deal with people much older than myself but when it comes to people my own age...and it doesnt help that-
[ends morose rant before it gets out of hand]
anyhoo, Great Strip. Good to see the plot clipping along at a nice walking pace again, with plently of room for jokes.

Amotis
2006-04-22, 01:10 AM
Awwww. This one's so cute.

I've really liked these last two strips. A lot.

Me toooooo! ;D So cute.

I've printed out these last two to save. They're great!

Anyway...what is Roy gonna wear?....

Vaarsuvius_Prime
2006-04-22, 01:15 AM
Today's Poor: Roy...

Eternal-Darthness
2006-04-22, 01:16 AM
"Naaaaaaaaaaaaa"
So much for those that didn't think Roy+Celia would work in any sense.

If Roy were ever really that concerned with his masculinity he should just have gone and had a syrup bottle drinking contest with Durkon. "I am all that is Man..."

Here's hoping Durkon's date, if any, has no beard.

Edit: does Roy HAVE something nice to wear?

TinSoldier
2006-04-22, 01:18 AM
Edit: does Roy HAVE something nice to wear?Yeah, a Great Sword! ;D

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-04-22, 01:20 AM
That's it! My next character will be a greatsword-wielding half-elf bard entirely obsessed around this aspect. Yes, it's worth blowing Martial Weapon Proficiency for, just to roleplay it.

Hmmm....
What if Belkar's next disguise is something... Compatible with Durkon?

Fillbert
2006-04-22, 01:22 AM
If Roy were ever really that concerned with his masculinity he should just have gone and had a syrup bottle drinking contest with Durkon. "I am all that is Man..."

You know how he gets all antsy in the pantsy when he gets that syrup in him.....

Rainee_Sue
2006-04-22, 01:25 AM
I'd forgotten what it meant, so I looked it up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taint_%28slang%29).

God bless you, Giant. That DOES sound like a Dwarvish swear, doesn't it?...

Bronzeevil
2006-04-22, 01:32 AM
Rainee, I REALLY wish I did not click that...

I saw this right after watching the Narnia movie again. I was reminded of when Peter first got the sword from Santa :P
Great strip.

Leeroy_Jenkins
2006-04-22, 01:39 AM
I wonder what are the chances that, in sprawling Azure City, the two couples will end up IN THE SAME RESTAURANT??!?

I wonder.

It would be like "Three's Company," only with fireballs, and stuff.

cuibono_219
2006-04-22, 01:45 AM
Hmm... quite unexpected, I say.

Redwizard26
2006-04-22, 01:47 AM
I ve missed it by 3min and im on the 4th page ...gawd... great comic

Edit: wrong time zone... sorry

Bitterbadger
2006-04-22, 01:49 AM
Hmm... quite unexpected, I say.

Which means that it will absolutely positively 100% for sure happen.

Nightfall
2006-04-22, 01:50 AM
Cute comic. Poor Celia hasn't got a chance. Roy's more interested in swinging his sword than interpersonal relations. And no, that's not code for anything.

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-04-22, 02:26 AM
*crying through the laughter* OMG! Thank you, Rich.

"Naaaaaaaaaaaaaawh"

LOL

Leo_Forestclaw
2006-04-22, 02:35 AM

HERE, HERE!

Leadies of the Message Board take note: 99 out of 100 times, taking the lead is both sexy and hot! ;-)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-22, 02:48 AM
Thor's Taint!?! :o

A little more than I expected from OotS, but it did make me spray milk & cereal all over the monitor, so that's a perk. ;D

Nerd-o-rama
2006-04-22, 02:54 AM
Best.
Swear.
Evar.

Watch though, now the Giant is going to post some BS about how he "didn't know what that meant," like with Evan's Spiked Tentacles or the various Japanese names.

Also, <3 Celia. <3 Celia dearly.

team56th
2006-04-22, 03:09 AM
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I hate big weapons-it reminds me some sucking(maybe ONLY for me) characters... Well, it seems like Roy's greatsword is not THAT big and he couldn't do his best with his club, I think I can understand Roy's feeling. Hurray for the greatsword.

Flak_Razorwill
2006-04-22, 03:14 AM
Splitting off into small groups?

That ensures a couple dozen strips made of sitcoms material. Cool.

Hithrome
2006-04-22, 03:30 AM
Anyway...what is Roy gonna wear?....

Well, there's always that floor-length number he was wearing when evading the assasins. I wonder if he still has the mop...

I had to read "Thor's Taint!" several times before I actually believed what I was seeing.

5tephen
2006-04-22, 04:00 AM
Oh, NICE!
So we're gonna have a whole SET of Romantic tete a' tets, eh?

HAHA!

Brasswatchman
2006-04-22, 04:08 AM
Oh, boy. I see where this is going to go. They're going to end up going to the same place as Haley and Elan... sitcom antics assumes.

Then Xylon's army shows up and firebombs the city.

You heard it here first.

battleburn
2006-04-22, 04:16 AM

There have been discussions before about color coded word bubbles. There were theorys about them belonging to certain allignments.
I think that still stands, even after the being of pure good's red bulbe, because it was only his father after all.

mossfoot
2006-04-22, 04:21 AM
Ah, it'll never work between them... he's a PC fighter and she's an NPC sylph from the elemental plain of air ;)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-22, 04:40 AM
There have been discussions before about color coded word bubbles. There were theorys about them belonging to certain allignments.
I think that still stands, even after the being of pure good's red bulbe, because it was only his father after all.

Personally I believe that the bubbles are belonging less to alignment and more to...I don't know, how do you say...sort of WHAT the creature is. Undead and Xykon have a very evil and sinister voice, being dead, so their bubbles come up black. The fire beings in Dorukan's Dungeon had red bubbles, symbolizing that they were fiery and such. I think the BoPLaG's red bubble was just to make him sound more menacing and antagonising.

retnuhytnuob
2006-04-22, 04:50 AM
Gah!

Taint: Corruption/Spoilage. That's what it means to me (and will work in context). Wish I didn't just learn its other use... (I like learning new things daily... but that was a little more than I wanted to know.) Took a word that had been reasonable in my mind and tainted(corrupted) it. The word will now be tainted(spoiled) in my rememberance.

Also: Is is just me who is surprised that the blacksmith is/was female? I've seen several asian males who wear their hair the way the blacksmith's is. This blacksmith also lacks the typical female indecator used for stick comics. In addition, Smithing takes a good deal of strength to forge well... and strength is typically thought of as a feature found more commonly in males.

Oh well. My mistake (apparently)

Nikolai_II
2006-04-22, 05:06 AM
Oh well. My mistake (apparently)

Yep. Especially since Rich came out and said that she was female in the discussion thread about that comic ;)

And I was also along the line of "corruption", and I think I'll stick to that ;)

retnuhytnuob
2006-04-22, 05:31 AM
Interesting. I think I failed a spot check... For an entire thread.
I may have a decent excues though... 'twas busy at the community theatre I act in and was entertaining guests at home that weekend. Anyway:

The blacksmith is a woman. Just because she's not falling out of her clothes doesn't make her not female, folks. Check the face and breasts.

I'm not sure how that looking at the face works for stick figures though (all have roundish heads, hair length isn't a great indicator, etc)... looking back on the comics she was in, I see one area that might be breasts, but could just as easily be a shoulder.

^_^ my perspective. The Giant's overrules.

Saithis Bladewing
2006-04-22, 05:36 AM
You can identify the difference between males or females given the shape of their back (unless they're wearing superheavy robes, like V and a few other wizards we have seen...)

Males have square bodies. Females have a rounded back and bottom in addition to their less than square chest. ;P

mossfoot
2006-04-22, 05:46 AM
Cute comic. Poor Celia hasn't got a chance. Roy's more interested in swinging his sword than interpersonal relations. And no, that's not code for anything.

Hey, he wasn't just interested in Miho's katanas ;)

Elurindel
2006-04-22, 06:18 AM
I first suspected here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=284), but this (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=284) was more of a hint.

You do realise that those are exactly the same links, don't you?

Great comic, as ever. And remember kids, a big sword doesn't make you a man. So Cloud has a tiny trouser titan :P

Shara_Littlebottom
2006-04-22, 06:24 AM
Funny comic!

I found the swords angle/positioning very symbolic in this strip. It's down when he's being scolded by Durkon, up when Celia walks in. Don't know if it was on purpose or my tainted mind. ;)

Sc00by
2006-04-22, 06:26 AM
Someone explain 'naaaaaaaaaaah' to me... I don't get it :(

Blaznak
2006-04-22, 06:50 AM
I'm just proud that we are on page Six and no posts of what paladins would or would not do and how it would be unpaladinny of them!

Anyways, This is one of the bridge strips for me that leads me to believe we are waiting for the pay off.

Maybe not, maybe its just a cutesy strip, but it feels like a set up for something... bigger... for me.

LATER!

mossfoot
2006-04-22, 06:58 AM
Someone explain 'naaaaaaaaaaah' to me... I don't get it :(

Assuming you're serious, Nah means "No way". Note Roy and Durkon looking at his sword in the previous panel, as if maybe IT was responsible for the invitation to a date.

Lightman
2006-04-22, 08:17 AM
Who's Durkon going to pair up with? ;D

Maybe V will take him on a 'pity' outing, and we'll see what s/he thinks about dating. I bet s/he is the cheating sort, I don't believe in this whole marriage thing... ;)

EDIT: Good simu, McBish :)That depends...it's possible s/he is a man and is thinking more along the lines of a drinking night....

Great comic, Giant!

Delgarde
2006-04-22, 08:34 AM
Well, there's always that floor-length number he was wearing when evading the assasins. I wonder if he still has the mop...

Except that the 'floor-length number' was Elan's cloak, used as a wrap. I assume Roy no longer has it.

Ronald_saveloy
2006-04-22, 09:16 AM
'naaaaaaaaaaah' - one of the best punchlines ever.

I think that Celia felt for Roy when the Order de-petrified her. You know, this "Brave-Knight-in-bright-Armour"-thing.

nick012000
2006-04-22, 09:26 AM
One night stands for the win.

We all know that's how it's going to end. ;)

whmice
2006-04-22, 09:40 AM
whose next?
V and durkon? :D

RemoJr
2006-04-22, 09:54 AM
THOR'S TAINT!!!!!!!! LMAO

Daracaex
2006-04-22, 09:57 AM
What about Miko and Belkar?

Also:
Chicks dig big sticks!

I mean, err... pointy things?

*(Disclaimer: This statement does not reflect my actual views. It is a pole-vaulting joke that I felt fit well with this comic.)*

ArcaneAnarchist
2006-04-22, 10:22 AM
Great comic. I giggled for ten minutes straight.

Sc00by
2006-04-22, 10:48 AM
Assuming you're serious, Nah means "No way". Note Roy and Durkon looking at his sword in the previous panel, as if maybe IT was responsible for the invitation to a date.

Yes was being serious - missed that completly...

I'm off to go and slap myself about a bit for being thick as 2 short planks...

TinSoldier
2006-04-22, 11:02 AM
I never thought of the meaning of 'taint' being corruption in this context because I don't see how Thor would be corrupted by anything. Or would cause anything to be corrupted. Or whatever.

The other meaning, however... off-color but funny!

Solmage
2006-04-22, 11:12 AM
I loved this strip, thank you. :)

And I'm like Roy gushing over the fact he has his sword back! Yay him! 8)

Darasen
2006-04-22, 11:28 AM
My question is since Roy has his primary weapon back (finally) could he beat Miko in a fight now. I assume Roy has better bonuses with his sword, specialization maybe?

Serina_Spellbinder
2006-04-22, 11:36 AM
whose next?
V and durkon? :D

That idea makes me want to do like the Beholder in the guest strip and try to put out my own eyes, lol!!

theKOT
2006-04-22, 11:42 AM
My question is since Roy has his primary weapon back (finally) could he beat Miko in a fight now. I assume Roy has better bonuses with his sword, specialization maybe?

That is a question that won't be answered right away, but I would think probably not. She is high level and does seem to do very well in a fight. If she had her horse, she would beat Roy. Otherwise it would depend on the circumstances.

DOOM2099
2006-04-22, 12:09 PM
Heh.. Who can beat who?

I think Rich made it clear at some point that if the plot required it, character A can beat character B etc...

Apparently, it all depends on the plot.

So, Roy can beat Miko, Miko can beat Roy, etc etc...

PS Im glad to see poor Roy finally get his sword back.

BlythraB
2006-04-22, 12:14 PM
I have a working theory, but I'm going to put it all in spoiler text.

Elan is being dragged out of a resteraunt by Hayley and H litteraly runs into Celia/Roy.
E- Hi Roy! Hi Celia! what are you doing here?!
C- Uh... well...
R- having dinner
last panel
E- something funny (no, he does not really say "something funny")
H- where's the rest of the party?
not exactly like that, but something where Hayley speaks and Rich keeps us geussing about which secret she told.

DragoonStar47
2006-04-22, 12:21 PM
Great comic. It was a bit confusing about if Celia really liked him or not. So even more romance. :P

n11
2006-04-22, 12:58 PM
You do realise that those are exactly the same links, don't you?

Great comic, as ever. And remember kids, a big sword doesn't make you a man. So Cloud has a tiny trouser titan :P

I meant to link #298 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=298) for the second link. I'll go fix it.
Also, #296 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=296) shows that Elan saw the potential as well. The rule for OOTS seems to be that it is easy to spot when a woman is interested in another guy, but no when a woman is interested in yourself.

BigT
2006-04-22, 01:00 PM
Heh heh heh, a proven fact that women love the big weapons... Naaaah.
Great comic, although it wouldn't surprise me if Celia's intentions did not lean to the romantic side, it just gave a nice punchline to this comic

Nasrudith
2006-04-22, 01:07 PM
Great comic, exposition and humor roled into one.

theKOT
2006-04-22, 01:14 PM
Great comic, although it wouldn't surprise me if Celia's intentions did not lean to the romantic side, it just gave a nice punchline to this comic
But we know from comic 300 that she is trying to get some guy's attention.... I would be very suprised if her intentions were anything but romantic.

SpoonlessJedi
2006-04-22, 03:09 PM
I hate big weapons-it reminds me some sucking(maybe ONLY for me) characters... Well, it seems like Roy's greatsword is not THAT big and he couldn't do his best with his club, I think I can understand Roy's feeling. Hurray for the greatsword.

I would make an inappropriate comment... or twelve, but it's so obvious it insults my intelligence.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2006-04-22, 03:21 PM

It's like the easiest thing to notice. In fact The 2 dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=52) speak in orange.

Great comic as always

BlythraB
2006-04-22, 03:28 PM
It's like the easiest thing to notice. In fact The 2 dragons speak in orange.

those aren't dragons. And, what indication do we have that Celia's intentions aren't romantic? we have plenty that they are.

Smoke_Rulz
2006-04-22, 04:22 PM
Well it looks like both Roy and Elan are gettin' some.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-22, 05:03 PM
I am morbidly curious as to what sort of "something nice" is both within Roy's taste and his ability to procure...

Truthseeker
2006-04-22, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure how that looking at the face works for stick figures though (all have roundish heads, hair length isn't a great indicator, etc)... looking back on the comics she was in, I see one area that might be breasts, but could just as easily be a shoulder.

^_^ my perspective. The Giant's overrules.

How looking at the face works: The eyes of female characters are positioned lower than males', making them look "cuter."

As a trivial aside (and to save the time of anyone who thinks it'll make a difference in V's Gender Debate), I seem to recall reading that Vaarsuvius' eyes are mounted in a gender-neutral position between the norms. ;)

redmind0
2006-04-22, 06:53 PM
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=phallic+

AyuVince
2006-04-22, 07:36 PM
Woo, 8th page! I've never been so close to page 1 before!

Awww... how cute! We finally get to know on whom Celia has a crush! Although it isn't like most of the people here didn't suspect or wish it was Roy. New Year's is such a great time to start a relationship.

Hey.. I wonder if.. Durkon will be their priest should R/C or H/E ever choose to marry? Just a thought.

Fireball.Man.Guy.
2006-04-22, 08:43 PM
The love is great. Roy'll have someone to write letters back to. Or maybye Celia will start adventureing with her new boyfriend. Then Durkon can marry them!

tothecornfield
2006-04-22, 08:49 PM
has anyone else ever noticed that when Celia speaks, her word bubble is all blue? Would this suggest that her voice sounds different from everybody else's?

The way I always hear the colored word bubbles in my head.
Xykon's black bubble=very deep with strong reverb similar to Darth Vader without the respirator sounds

BoLG's red bubble= Loud and booming like the voice of God in the original 10 commandments film

Celia's blue bubble= almost musical sounding like two voices in harmony

this is all just speculation though unless this strip ever gets animated.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-22, 09:13 PM
The way I always hear the colored word bubbles in my head.
Xykon's black bubble=very deep with strong reverb similar to Darth Vader without the respirator sounds

BoLG's red bubble= Loud and booming like the voice of God in the original 10 commandments film

Celia's blue bubble= almost musical sounding like two voices in harmony

I imagine everyone's voice as really high. Even Xykon and the BoLG illusory voice.

I think it's because of the art. I can't credit stick figures with especially deep voices.

Hyrael
2006-04-22, 09:15 PM
hmmm, I always thought if Xykon sounding like Skeletor, with a high,cold voice. he doesnt strike me as a vader-type. he's too loose. Someone with a vader voice doesnt gloat and cackle about sacrificing minions, they just do it, in a humorless fashion. just my perception.

the colored speech bubbles are just to illustrate that the speaker doesnt have a 'normal' voice, and it is somehow strange, with different harmonics or something. the actual voice is whatever the reader thinks sound best.

infiniteviking
2006-04-22, 09:21 PM
Well, there's only one thing to say to that.

ROY + CELIA YAY! If only for an evening of friendly conversation.... Roy needs some non-party-leader time (jail doesn't count).

..Ahem.

*wonders cynically whether there is any right way for the guy to make the first move*

Elnaith
2006-04-23, 02:43 AM
*wonders cynically whether there is any right way for the guy to make the first move*[/sup]

Baseball bat? Just knock em out and drag them away ^_^.

Great page once again.. Hope that the four lovebirds will be happy.

P.S. First post ever! :P

Zann
2006-04-23, 11:03 AM
*quibble*

There's an 'It'sjust' wiht no space, line 2, square 4.

Sailcat
2006-04-23, 11:57 AM
The comic is outstanding Rich. Very few comics make me laugh out loud except for yours.

Thanks again.

Bilbo27
2006-04-23, 12:36 PM
We never did see Roy get his sword back from the smith. When did that happen? Roy and Celia sitting in a tree....... HAHA Love it Giant
Keep up the funniness!! iS THAT A WORD?

Back to 8th page after my 1st 1st page.

Muwahhh Muwahhhhhhh

Blackbird
2006-04-23, 01:40 PM
Great comic Giant, it's nice to see Roy get some happiness, he's deserved it. And the date with Celia is nice too ;)

We never did see Roy get his sword back from the smith. When did that happen?
Actually, it happened in this one (http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=298).

Zann
2006-04-23, 03:44 PM
Wow! I just realised something! Roy is going to be dressed in something different!

That hasn't happened since that flashback to his infancy.

AyuVince
2006-04-23, 04:09 PM
Yes! Oh my god. Roy in a tuxedo? I mean, we have already seen an OotS character in a tuxedo. Hilgya's husband. (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=83)

LurkerInPlayground
2006-04-23, 04:53 PM
Personally, I don't think Roy felt diminished by the absence of his sword as a "phallic" symbol of his masculine power, I think it's more like he's a fighter. As such, it is the single most important tool that confirms his identity.

He's heavily invested in the idea of being a smart and articulate warrior and this concerns him more than his issues of masculinity. His sword is his heritage (Greenhilt), and it is also the validation of his decision to go to Fighter College against the wishes of his father.

Ravens_Wing
2006-04-23, 08:26 PM
Love the look on their faces as they look at roys Sword....
Naaaaaaaaaaaaah...... Love it! Keep up the good work! ;D

Eternal-Darthness
2006-04-23, 09:17 PM
hmmm, I always thought if Xykon sounding like Skeletor, with a high,cold voice. he doesnt strike me as a vader-type. he's too loose. Someone with a vader voice doesnt gloat and cackle about sacrificing minions, they just do it, in a humorless fashion. just my perception.

My conception of him is more like Jack Nicholson. Redcloak I think of more like Simon Pegg or John Cleese.

Holy_Knight
2006-04-23, 10:57 PM
Wow! I just realised something! Roy is going to be dressed in something different!

That hasn't happened since that flashback to his infancy.
Well, maybe... but does Roy even have something different? And since he's supposed to meet Celia in half an hour, he doesn't have time to buy anything. I suppose he could ask V to cast an illusion over his normal clothes, and hope Celia fails her saving throw...

n11
2006-04-23, 11:34 PM
I suppose he could ask V to cast an illusion over his normal clothes, and hope Celia fails her saving throw...

If the illusion makes him look sharp, she may choose to accept the spell.

V: I'd be too afraid to walk by an antimagic field.

Solmage
2006-04-23, 11:54 PM
If the illusion makes him look sharp, she may choose to accept the spell.

He can go naked with the illusion over him, that way it's a win-win 8)

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2006-04-24, 01:09 AM
He can go naked with the illusion over him, that way it's a win-win 8)

And if anyone disbelieves the illusion, he'll be invisible to them!

bosssmiley
2006-04-24, 08:34 AM
Rah! Go Roy.

It's all true! Chicks dig both giant robots and a guy with a mighty chopper. ;D

Zalathar
2006-04-24, 08:43 AM
Thor's Taint...bwahahaha

Kanashimi
2006-04-24, 09:22 AM
OMG

Best dwarven curse ever

Thor's Taint Bwa ha ha!

Great comic

Doug_Lampert
2006-04-24, 10:52 AM
Ah, it'll never work between them... he's a PC fighter and she's an NPC sylph from the elemental plain of air ;)
They Fight Crime!

Glorfindel
2006-04-24, 12:39 PM
It seems that Durkon denies the existence of swords of this type:

Longsword of the Leader
This +4 longsword gives the wielder a +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma.

8)

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-04-24, 04:59 PM
Personnally i foudn Roy's greatclub to be more phallic than his sword is

Priest_Of_Banjo
2006-04-24, 05:01 PM
Meh. i want to see what happens on the 2 dates.

I have a vague idea though.....

Yobgod
2006-04-24, 08:55 PM
*sigh*

Yes, yes, the romantic subplots are lovely and heartwarming, but this is still life based on a roleplaying game and you all seem to have forgotten your RP basics.

1) Never split up the party.
2) Never let your guard down just because it seems safe.
3) Never split up the party.

No good will come of this, you'll see. You'll all see! *shakes cane*

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2006-04-24, 08:57 PM
That was very cute.

Bisquick_Avenger
2006-04-24, 08:59 PM
*sigh*

Yes, yes, the romantic subplots are lovely and heartwarming, but this is still life based on a roleplaying game and you all seem to have forgotten your RP basics.

1) Never split up the party.
2) Never let your guard down just because it seems safe.
3) Never split up the party.

No good will come of this, you'll see. You'll all see! *shakes cane*

Excellent points, although a bit repetitive (and redundant)(also says the same thing twice)(maybe also emphasizing one point kinda heavily).

If I had a cane, I'd shake it. As is, I only have this nice 3.5e D&D Adamantium Greatsword of Flame to shake, and I don't think that'd end well...

Great comic, giant!

(also, WOOOOOO 10th page!)

Ivellios
2006-04-24, 10:27 PM
Ok, I have to agree with Durkon. I don't see why a big sword would be attractive to women. But, if a sorcerer kills 20+ monsters with a single spell, that might be. (a sorcerer's enormous charisma score might help too.)

The Giant
2006-04-24, 10:55 PM
Running a little late, the comic should be up before 1:00 am.

Ozmandious
2006-04-24, 11:46 PM
Hey, no fair! Now all those cheaters in Europe don't have to stay up late for their OOTS fix! Just for that I'm going to go over there and set their clocks ahead by 12 minute's, devalue the Euro, and deport all the Prussians. That'll show 'em!

Or maybe I'll hold my Thog dolly and wait like a good little boy. Decisions, decisions... ;)

The_Snark
2006-04-24, 11:48 PM
I'll bet Roy/Celia and Elan/Haley end up in the same restaurant.

TheWanderingLlama
2006-04-24, 11:56 PM
Hey, no fair! Now all those cheaters in Europe don't have to stay up late for their OOTS fix!

Don't forget west-coastererners (what is the word?) like me! 10:00 pm is kinda late, but not compared to 1:00.

ARMOURERERIC
2006-04-24, 11:59 PM
I'll bet Roy/Celia and Elan/Haley end up in the same restaurant.

And promptly discover they all like Big Mac's

ElfLad
2006-04-25, 12:01 AM
Excellent points, although a bit repetitive (and redundant)(also says the same thing twice)(maybe also emphasizing one point kinda heavily).

If I had a cane, I'd shake it. As is, I only have this nice 3.5e D&D Adamantium Greatsword of Flame to shake, and I don't think that'd end well...

Great comic, giant!

(also, WOOOOOO 10th page!)

The first rule of etiquette is that you do not talk about redundant rules.
The second rule of etiquette is that you do not talk about repetitive rules.

And really, splitting up the party is a great thing to do during, like, cutscenes. Splitting up the party always reveals the backstory of at least one character.

Melnor
2006-04-25, 12:06 AM
Meh. i want to see what happens on the 2 dates.

I have a vague idea though.....

*sings the song "Making Love" to himself*

Haha, no, alas, this is not Questionable Content :P

It's okay though, Giant, we love you anyway ;D

Yay for Dwarvishness!

Adeptus
2006-04-25, 12:14 AM
Hey, no fair! Now all those cheaters in Europe don't have to stay up late for their OOTS fix! Just for that I'm going to go over there and set their clocks ahead by 12 minute's, devalue the Euro, and deport all the Prussians. That'll show 'em!

Or maybe I'll hold my Thog dolly and wait like a good little boy. Decisions, decidions... ;)

Hey, it's even worse here in Europe. For me, in Finland, it is 7 AM the next day by the time it is 0:00 for Rich. Sometimes I can catch the comic on early in the night when Rich is early with the posting, usually it's the following morning.

Bilbo27
2006-04-25, 12:24 AM
Heck, Australians get to wake up with a brand new comic, they suck worms!

Ozmandious
2006-04-25, 12:31 AM
Heck, Australians get to wake up with a brand new comic, they suck worms!

Don't worry, I plan on installing hydrolic lifts on all of their kangaroos. That should learn the little blighters!