PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me designing a gnomic steam punk country

Selion
2018-12-19, 03:32 PM
Hi guys, I need some ideas for a country inhabited by gnomes, I already introduced to my players a gnomic troop on an airship and some technological items coming from there.
Geographically the country it's located on an archipelago and it is governed by an artificial intelligence (called the Slave King).
There is a gnome king (The Actual King), but he just execute the orders from the AI, it's a very boring job from a gnome point of view, so kings abdicate very often and the new one is selected randomly. The AI, for reasons, is scared of invasions and acts in a paranoid way, having developed a sophisticated intelligence to deal with foreigners.
There are a lot of thing that i need to detail, it's welcome online content I could use for inspiration.
In particular:
1) I need a system of laws that matches the cold thinking processes of the AI with the wild nature of Gnomes. For example:
- Thievery is forbidden, unless the thief leaves to the robbed an item of similar emotional value in exchange (this may happen even if the robbed is unaware of the trade)
- It's strictly forbidden to refuse giving food to a hungry gnome
- The main punishment for crimes is adventuring: gnomes that are unfitted to live in society are sent in extremely dangerous missions
2) I need filler short steam punk adventures to entertain my players if they are in the mood to go exploring
3) There will be a war, the main mission of my players may be infiltrating during the battle to deactivate the AI (if they decide so), I wish to give them different options, but I'm short of ideas.

The AI is composed of three cores:
One is responsible of identification and categorization (Called Stranger)
The second is responsible of strategy (Called Father)
The third is responsible of giving objectives (Called Mother, it is the emotional one and it is the one paranoid of gnomes safety)

I thought a way to stall the AI could be finding a legendary chess champion to overload the second core, but I'm not satisfied with the idea.

I know that all of it seems extremely stereotyped, but i don't care, on the contrary I'm happy with it.
I put so many things in the fire, help me! :)

Melcar
2018-12-19, 05:51 PM
I would seriously look into the forgotten realm nation of Gond!

Also I’m reminded of an old PC game Dark Earth! Pretty grimy but super cool. Maybe look into that too!

Hope it helps!