PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Parting Gift for an Alchemist?

Palanan
2018-12-19, 04:26 PM
For an upcoming session in my game, each of the party members will be receiving a small magical gift from someone they've helped, à la Galadriel, to assist them as they continue their journey.

I have items selected for everyone in the party except the alchemist, and here I'm at a loss. I'd like a minor item that's both functional and memorable, and which is especially well-suited for someone in the alchemical line. Useful, thematic, something they'll appreciate. But I'm stumped.

So, advice welcome. I'm open to all first-party Paizo material. Any suggestions?

Eldonauran
2018-12-19, 05:37 PM
Perhaps giving us an idea of what the others received will give us a better idea of the sort of target you want to hit in the functional/memorable department?

Calthropstu
2018-12-19, 09:26 PM
A comb. Get it? It parts their hair? So it's a parting gift...

No? Ok...

Rainshine
2018-12-19, 10:54 PM
Bountiful Bottle? Formula Alembic? Volatile Vaporizer? Hybridization Funnel?

Firest Kathon
2018-12-20, 07:33 AM
I think the Formula Alembic (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/e-g/formula-alembic/) is a great suggestion.

Malphegor
2018-12-20, 08:12 AM
A D&D-ified version of the Elder Scrolls' White Phial?

Any fluid placed in it will 1/day be replenished, effectively giving the alchemist infinite of 1 concoction they make.

They can reset what its contents are by attempting to fill it with something new.

Palanan
2018-12-20, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Rainshine
Bountiful Bottle? Formula Alembic? Volatile Vaporizer? Hybridization Funnel?

Originally Posted by Firest Kathon
I think the Formula Alembic is a great suggestion.

The Formula Alembic is perfect, thanks. Hits the mark exactly.

Originally Posted by Malphegor
A D&D-ified version of the Elder Scrolls' White Phial?

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not familiar with this item, nor anything from Elder Scrolls, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind for later.

Florian
2018-12-20, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not familiar with this item, nor anything from Elder Scrolls, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind for later.

It basically would be the equivalent of a Pearl of Power for Extract-using classes.

Ellrin
2018-12-20, 12:20 PM
The only hang ups on the formula alembic are cost (it’s one of the cheapest non-consumable magic items in the game, so in a game where magic item shopping is pretty much unrestricted, it’s easy to get one for yourself) and opportunity (if the game doesn’t go into town much or magic item shopping is heavily restricted, and new types of potions in loot are rare, there aren’t going to be a lot of chances to use it).

If the value/ease of obtaining such an object in your campaign is similar to your other gifts, and potions are relatively common, you can ignore all that.

Lord Torath
2018-12-20, 12:25 PM
I was going to recommend a custom beaker/alembic that either decreases the time required to brew a potion or gives a bonus to the crafting test to brew one. Or both.

I gave the PCs a similar reward in a gave where they rescued the Titan of Smithing. He rewarded them with a magic hammer that made it easier to craft metal magic items.

Ninjaxenomorph
2018-12-20, 01:00 PM
The Bountiful Bottle (http://aonprd.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Bountiful%20Bo ttle) is a nice one, as mentioned above. It can duplicate potions without expensive components, and you don't have to by mythic to use it. It's a smallish item, but since its mythic, it's still difficult to craft.

Slithery D
2018-12-21, 01:48 PM
A comb. Get it? It parts their hair? So it's a parting gift...

No? Ok...

What if the Alchemist sold their hair to buy the Magus a gift?

Andry
2018-12-23, 07:47 PM
What if the Alchemist sold their hair to buy the Magus a gift?

Wow an O. Henry reference mixed with Pathfinder. Bravo sir Bravo!