PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for Help with my Build.

alteil
2018-12-19, 07:29 PM
Hi

Were about to start a new campaign over the Holidays and based on the rest of our party ( squishies/less experienced players) i have to decided to go with a combat focused Favored Soul.

My Goal is to be a Frontliner with decent combat capabilities/ survivablitiy and spells to help out if things start going south.

I have looked around and found several builds involving Knight of the Raven, Fist of Raziel, various Paladins and Ordained Champion PrCs but i cant quite figure out which one would be best suited for what i would like to do.

I liked the PRC Paladin/Fist Builds that still got 9th level spells but no clue what kind of Feats i would be shooting for outside of Prereqs since i usually dont play melees.

Anyone kind enough to give me a little bit more insight on feats/Key spells i would be shooting for?

Doctor Awkward
2018-12-19, 08:46 PM
Ideally you would want to go with Crusader over Paladin. Crusader is everything a Paladin should have been (minus spellcasting).

If you want to keep your spellcasting consider a Ruby Knight Vindicator build.

Something like Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Contemplative 5 is fairly standard. You get 9th level spells, 6th level maneuvers, you are better at melee than most other classes who call themselves melee.

If you want to be more tanky, Cloistered Cleric 1/Crusader 3/Ordained Champion 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator 7/Ordained Champion +4/Contemplative 4. This loses even more spellcasting (you only get 7th-level spells), but you do get War Domain spontaneity, auto-quicken on War domain spells (like Flame Strike, Blade Barrier, and Divine Power), and RKV's ability to sack your turn attempts for more swift actions on your turn.

For feats Practiced Spellcaster is a must to keep your caster level up. Divine Metamagic Quicken can be useful. Also consider standard tripper stuff (Combat Reflexes, Expertise, Improved Trip) or something like Stand Still (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#standStill). When combined with the Crusader stance, Thicket of Blades, you are probably the most effective front-line "tank" you can be in D&D short of a Knight that can actually force enemies to attack them. Thicket of Blades causes any movement from an enemy within your threatened area to provoke an attack of oppoturnity, at which point Stand Still will force the enemy to a halt after only a single square. With Righteous Might and a big enough reach weapon, you can prevent all enemies from charging or tumbling past you to get to your allies. You will also have access to other maneuvers that buff your allies AC, making you a more tempting target.

alteil
2018-12-19, 10:13 PM
Snip.

Sounds good but i stayed away from crusader because a potential player was considering it and because i personally prefer the Pala/FS/Cleric fluff over that of a crusader but ill toy aroud witht he idea.

Thurbane
2018-12-19, 11:06 PM
Knight of the Raven is pretty great for a Favored Soul.

A dip into Sacred Exorcist is nice to pick up turning, which can fuel divine feats.