PDA

View Full Version : Help on a thematic choice

Dankus Memakus
2018-12-19, 07:30 PM
Hello! So I am playing a dwarf wizard who specializes in earth magic and I'm having a problem picking a cantrip. So, I am only taking a single attack cantrip for RP reasons so I wanna know which one you guys think is more thematic. Poison spray or toll of the dead. I know poison spray is the worst element but I just want a super thematic choice. (If you think some thing else is better please lay it on me)

Unoriginal
2018-12-19, 08:00 PM
Did you take Mold the Earth already?

Galithar
2018-12-19, 08:08 PM
How open is your DM to modifying spells to fit a theme? I might suggest, if allowable, modify Firebolt into the following

Hurl Rock
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You hurl a large stone at a creature or object within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 bludgeoning damage. A breakable object hit by this spell suffers an automatic critical hit if it isn't being worn or carried.

At higher levels: This spell's damage increases by 1d10 when you reach 5th level (2d10), 11th level (3d10), and 17th level (4d10).

Edit: Other then that fluffing Poison Spray as a spray of small stones, that still inexplicably deal poison damage, is probably your most thematic choice.

LudicSavant
2018-12-19, 08:11 PM
Hello! So I am playing a dwarf wizard who specializes in earth magic and I'm having a problem picking a cantrip. So, I am only taking a single attack cantrip for RP reasons so I wanna know which one you guys think is more thematic. Poison spray or toll of the dead. I know poison spray is the worst element but I just want a super thematic choice. (If you think some thing else is better please lay it on me)

Toll the Dead will probably keep you happier gameplay-wise. Poison Spray is really hobbled by its 10 foot range and, as you already mentioned, the Poison element.

Also, take Mold Earth.

rel
2018-12-19, 08:22 PM
You can just re-fluff firebolt by changing the name to Magma Missile and leaving the rules text unchanged.

Another option is to just not pick an offensive cantrip. I played a wizard with no offensive cantrips and managed pretty well just plinking away with a crossbow for the first few levels.

Dankus Memakus
2018-12-19, 09:38 PM
I do have mold earth for everyone who was asking and I do really like the magma missle idea.

Edit: my campaigns are super combat heavy and I worry without a combat cantrip I'll be severely handicapped

Crgaston
2018-12-20, 01:38 AM
You can just re-fluff firebolt by changing the name to Magma Missile and leaving the rules text unchanged.

Another option is to just not pick an offensive cantrip. I played a wizard with no offensive cantrips and managed pretty well just plinking away with a crossbow for the first few levels.

^^^
Winner.