PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sylvan Half Plate

JNAProductions
2018-12-19, 10:38 PM
Sylvan Half Plate
Legendary Armor (Half Plate), Requires Attunement

This finely made armor is woven from bark and leaves, and yet is somehow stronger than steel. This magical +1 Half Plate has a host of other effects.

-You may increase the max your Dexterity bonus can apply by two (usually to +4). Alternatively, one can use their Charisma in place of their Dexterity modifier for AC while wearing this armor, but if that is done, the bonus only increases by one (usually to +3).
-You may cast Pass Without Trace once. This ability recharges every midnight. In addition, even while not under the effects of the spell, one wearing this armor does not leave trails in natural areas unless they wish to, and have no penalty to Stealth checks from the armor.
-You gain resistance to poison damage, and may cast the Poison Spray cantrip, with Charisma as your casting stat.
-Any club or quarterstaff you use is automatically under the effects of Shillelagh, with Charisma as your casting stat.
-You may cast Entangle once every hour, with Charisma as your casting stat and centered on yourself. The armor uses itself as the needed plantlife.
-You may cast Tree Stride once. This ability recharges every sunrise.
-You may cast Transport Via Plants once. This ability recharges every new and full moon.

Arkhios
2018-12-20, 01:15 PM
Sylvan Half Plate

This finely made armor is woven from bark and leaves, and yet is somehow stronger than steel. This magical +1 Half Plate has a host of other effects.

-You may increase the max your Dexterity bonus can apply by two (usually to +4). Alternatively, one can use their Charisma in place of their Dexterity modifier for AC while wearing this armor, but if that is done, the bonus only increases by one (usually to +3).
-You may cast Pass Without Trace once. This ability recharges every midnight. In addition, even while not under the effects of the spell, one wearing this armor does not leave trails in natural areas unless they wish to, and have no penalty to Stealth checks from the armor.
-You gain resistance to poison damage, and may cast the Poison Spray cantrip, with Charisma as your casting stat.
-Any club or quarterstaff you use is automatically under the effects of Shillelagh, with Charisma as your casting stat.
-You may cast Entangle once every hour, with Charisma as your casting stat and centered on yourself. The armor uses itself as the needed plantlife.
-You may cast Transport Via Plants once. This ability recharges every new and full moon.

You might want to rephrase the bolded part. Currently it looks weird. I get what you're trying to say, but it seems somewhat convoluted.

Otherwise, the item seems fine.

MagneticKitty
2018-12-20, 02:09 PM
Sylvan Half Plate

The recharge is clumbsy... and the main race that really wants this (druid that wants heavy armor but can't because metal) isn't a cha caster. Charisma doesn't fit a nature theme..
The first ability needs a heavy reword, I actually don't understand it as is.

The recharge is all over the place, chose one time of day, or your players get whiplash trying to keep track.

Thematically interesting. But needs work

Edit: oh this is medium. I always forget medium armor exists. Disregard my confusion

Ninja_Prawn
2018-12-20, 02:14 PM
Charisma doesn't fit a nature theme..

That's because he's going for a fey theme. :smalltongue:

I, for one, like the intent with the recharge times, but it probably is too much bookkeeping. A charge-based system would be cleaner.

Galithar
2018-12-21, 09:42 PM
I disagree with all the naysay about recharge times. Yes, it's bookkeeping but 5e is already bookkeeping light comparatively so I don't think adding one item with complexity is an issue unless the player it's given to can't handle it.