PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spellcraft Skill Check DC

mehs
2018-12-19, 11:30 PM
My party has two magic items, from the same source. One is some kind of artifact armor, the other is some sort of probably malevolent sapient gauntlet. The gauntlet is probably an artifact as well but I can't tell since apparently the aura of the armor is blinding.

The gauntlet did a short range (10 ft) teleportation effect to save the wearer from an avalanche, and I used a custom magic item with the specific intended effects of recording magic effects for later observation

When I tried to study the record, I got a 43 on spellcraft (identify)

Result: It seems supernatural. And familiar. and ingrained into my soul.

Question, is my gm ****ing with me?

Crake
2018-12-20, 05:20 AM
My party has two magic items, from the same source. One is some kind of artifact armor, the other is some sort of probably malevolent sapient gauntlet. The gauntlet is probably an artifact as well but I can't tell since apparently the aura of the armor is blinding.

The gauntlet did a short range (10 ft) teleportation effect to save the wearer from an avalanche, and I used a custom magic item with the specific intended effects of recording magic effects for later observation

When I tried to study the record, I got a 43 on spellcraft (identify)

Result: It seems supernatural. And familiar. and ingrained into my soul.

Sounds like your GM doesn't want you to know everything with just a roll of the dice and wants you to figure it out through playing the game. He probably has a twist or some kind of plot hook coming around.

Malphegor
2018-12-20, 07:35 AM

Always. :smallsmile:

Seriously though, that much ominous ominousness is probably a plot hook for later.

Florian
2018-12-20, 07:57 AM

Depends. You're a couple or something?

Ok, more on the serious side, note that Spellcraft works on spells, not (SU) abilities. I guess your gm was rather charitable and hinted at what it might be instead giving you a blank no can do on your check.

Psyren
2018-12-20, 05:14 PM
Depends. You're a couple or something?

Ok, more on the serious side, note that Spellcraft works on spells, not (SU) abilities. I guess your gm was rather charitable and hinted at what it might be instead giving you a blank no can do on your check.

Spellcraft does work on items though. Sure his GM doesn't necessarily have to provide the item's entire genealogy/backstory, but I would at least provide some kind of hint as to why a roll that high isn't providing more details (or any details, really.)

denthor
2018-12-20, 07:06 PM
In 3.5 detect magic gives you power level

you need a pearl for the 1st level identify which only gives you one power the strongest

3rd level spell arcane sight will give you all of the different auras but will not tell you what they do. Beyond arcane or devine and will tell you the schools of magic.

6th level analyze demeanor spelling is wrong gives you everything in seconds. Sometimes even when the enemy is holding the item.

Which one did you use?

Deophaun
2018-12-20, 09:50 PM
Which one did you use?
He used the one with the [Pathfinder] tag.

denthor
2018-12-20, 10:40 PM
Same spell list. 3.5 and pathfinder shared the platform one of the major changes was the god list.

Let him answer the question.

The pearl is not needed house rule to get better identify powers.

Jeraa
2018-12-20, 11:45 PM
My best guess would be the items aren't identifiable normally. If they are indeed artifacts, most spells won't help identify them. This isn't listed in the Spellcraft skill, but in the individual identification spells (except detect magic, which is probably an oversight. Either that, or they have a very high caster level and you simply failed the check to identify.

Notive the [Pathfinder] tag. He isn't using 3.5 D&D. Pathfinder detect magic allows you to attempt to identify magic item properties by making a Spellcraft check.

you need a pearl for the 1st level identify which only gives you one power the strongest

No it doesn't. 3.5 version automatically tells you all the items properties, not just the strongest. And while the Pathfinder version just gives you +10 on the Spellcraft check to identify, that check still reveals all properties not jut the strongest. Also again, [Pathfinder]. No pearl at all.

3rd level spell arcane sight will give you all of the different auras but will not tell you what they do. Beyond arcane or devine and will tell you the schools of magic.

Guess what? Yeah, [Pathfinder] tag again. This spell also lets you attempt the identification using a Spellcraft check.

6th level analyze demeanor spelling is wrong gives you everything in seconds. Sometimes even when the enemy is holding the item.

At least you are correct about one of them.

Same spell list. 3.5 and pathfinder shared the platform one of the major changes was the god list.

Same spell list, but not necessarily the same spell effects.

Psyren
2018-12-21, 02:08 PM

Let him answer the question.

The distinction does matter because Spellcraft works differently in 3.5 and PF. In 3.5, you can't identify item properties with Spellcraft, only auras/schools. In PF you can. Check out the Identify spell in both editions to see the difference clearly.

mehs
2018-12-21, 07:53 PM

Which one did you use?

...dude. I said which one I used in the original post. Identify.

School divination; Level alchemist 1, bard 1, psychic 1, sorcerer/wizard 1, summoner/unchained summoner 1, witch 1; Domain magic 1; Bloodline arcane 1

CASTING

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S, M (wine stirred with an owl’s feather)

EFFECT

Range 60 ft.
Area cone-shaped emanation
Duration 3 rounds/level (D)
Saving Throw: none; Spell Resistance: no

DESCRIPTION

This spell functions as detect magic, except that it gives you a +10 enhancement bonus on Spellcraft checks made to identify the properties and command words of magic items in your possession. This spell does not allow you to identify artifacts.

Florian
2018-12-21, 08:01 PM
"This spell does not allow you to identify artifacts."

... and that's the entire point, at least when the info in the OP are true ans were talking about two artifacts.