PDA

View Full Version : Origin of your Username

Pages : [1] 2

BRC
2007-09-22, 02:44 PM
Why did is your username what it is, I'll go first.

Years ago my brother made some animations for a show he was doing ( it was to raise money for land mine removal), and as a joke in the opening titles he put Bloodyredcommie.inc. A while later I was messing around with some very basic animations and did the same thing, at some point I was doing somthing online, needed a username, and used Bloodyredcommie. After that, I was making a runescape character, and I misspelled the name Bloddyredcommie, and since then have used that for preety much everything, mostly because it's easy to remember and nobody has ever taken it. Surprisingly enough, I have only ever run into one person who has taken the name seriously.
Well, what is the origin of Your username?

bluewind95
2007-09-22, 02:55 PM
In my case, I was trying to come up with some username that fit me. I like the color blue. I'm also very shy and tend to run away from people, and much like the wind, I'll pass by and vanish and simply not get caught with anyone. So I put it together and ended up with bluewind. But that was taken. I looked up and saw a book that was titled "Introduction to Windows 95". So I added the 95 and it's stuck since then.

Winterwind
2007-09-22, 03:01 PM
Okay, that will probably sound cheesy like hell, but what the heck.

For starters, "Varilyd Winterwind" was my first RPG character ever (an elf in a medieval fantasy RPG different from D&D). I needed a byname, it fitted well into the character's backstory, and I find alliterations in names sound pretty nifty.

However, that's not the full meaning of the name. It's also a personal symbol.
Imagine you're standing upon a mountain, gazing down upon a valley, with seemingly crystalline trees and snow-white forests, with a clear cold breeze blowing through your hair. A moment of fairy-like beauty at a magical winter eve. In my personal symbolism, the winter wind represents fantasy and the yearning for other worlds which are more magical than this one.

Feel free to mock me now. :smalltongue:

Ecalsneerg
2007-09-22, 03:03 PM
Ecalsneerg is just... odd.

I play 40K, and I couldn't think of a cool name for my Tyranid hive fleet. Then I thought "What if I write greenscale backwards?"

I only realised the mistake after registering for a forum, and the name stuck.

Scorpina
2007-09-22, 03:04 PM
...I stole it from Power Rangers. :smallsmile:

wadledo
2007-09-22, 03:07 PM
...I stole it from Power Rangers. :smallsmile:
But you look good doing it, that's all that matters.

The Kirby franchise.
I find some random name and stick it on all my sign ups that month.

Wraithy
2007-09-22, 03:10 PM
because it takes one of the most fearsome incorporeal monsters and ads a cutesy twist to it.

ForzaFiori
2007-09-22, 03:10 PM
m=first initial
f=last initial
11=soccer #

Eldred
2007-09-22, 03:15 PM
Mine is the name of a character from my novel. And I've used the name before for some random D&D characters.

hippie_dwarf
2007-09-22, 03:22 PM
My first D&D character was a druid, he was a dwarf. I'm not sure where my user name came from though :smalltongue: . Though i was using this name before i first played D&D, i think. So what inspired what :smallconfused:

Ichneumon
2007-09-22, 03:25 PM
I always have some difficulty find a name that suits me.

I am interested in biology and at the time I registered I was really "into" ichneumon wasps. So, yeah. That is how it came to it.

Raiser Blade
2007-09-22, 03:26 PM
It's a play on Razor Blade.

I guess it's a cheesy attempt at making me seem as (mentally)sharp as a blade.
Or maybe it's because i like swords.

Spiryt
2007-09-22, 03:27 PM
Well, it's quite simple and dumb.

When I was about 14 I was playing Counter Strike with my friends. We were playing on some small map. It definetly wasn't serious, we were doing stupid things, and were changing player name every 100 seconds or so.

So I made Spiryt my name, and from some completely forgotten reason it is living on, and I'm using it for example here.

It's meaning... Well guess. :smallbiggrin:

Sir_Norbert
2007-09-22, 03:30 PM
No interesting story behind mind, it's just the name of my first D&D character.

rubakhin
2007-09-22, 04:03 PM
My name is highly symbolic and personally significant. It means that if you like me, you should give me rubles.

*ahem* Actually, it's part of my pen name. My real initials are SDR. I wanted to keep my initials, but I didn't want to use my last name for my literary attempts. Hence, Sevastian Davidovich Rubakhin - anyone who reads Russian should look out for my stuff, okay? I picked Rubakhin for my pen name after the character in Vladimir Makanin's short story Кавказский пленный. The reasons I did this are complicated and probably pretty disturbing, so I won't get into them here. But the short story is the most beautiful thing I've ever read ... it haunts me even now. Just to think of it stirs up an ache in my heart.

It's online in Russian here (http://magazines.russ.ru/novyi_mi/1995/4/makanin.html), and in English here (http://magazines.russ.ru/novyi_mi/redkol/makanin/kav.html), though the story is difficult to translate and should be read in the original if you've got any Russian at all.

Green Bean
2007-09-22, 04:08 PM
h_v stands for haricot vert, French for green bean. It in turn is a reference to a small scene from the wonderful book Ender's Shadow.

Traveling_Angel
2007-09-22, 04:14 PM
Mine comes from an old character idea (yay for first character user names!). I thought of an odd guy who had a deft hand with a sword and a good sprinkle of talent for magic. He had enough experience, luck, and power to stall most threats to wherever he was, but his real talent was seeing the bigger picture. Understanding both sides to a conflict, and chastising those who could not understand why the other side is doing what it does (I hate you because you hate me and vise versa). This, along with his unerringly strong moral code lead the local wizard to think he is an angel and the rumor followed him to wherever he went.

As his presence tended to calm an area down, he was almost constancy on the move. Here's a quote that I think is original: "The world's problems are there, even if I can't see them. I can not stay."

Vuzzmop
2007-09-22, 04:20 PM
One dark night, a vision appeared to me in a dream. Horrible, but great, the oily, tentacled mass spoke unto me one word that would change my life forever, "Vuzzmop", and then was lost among the writhing darkness of eternity. I dared not tell a soul about my encounter with that being, but to this day I still wear the moniker it gave me. I am Vuzzmop the great, Vuzzmop the merciless, I am Vuzzmop! Destroyer of worlds, Breaker of hearts!

The_Chilli_God
2007-09-22, 04:27 PM
Hoo, boy. Well, I've told the story before, I might's well tell it again.

This goes back to the other half of my life on the internet. I've got a series of webcomics, based on the storyline of Lego's Bionicle series. I started probably around the time OotS started, except that I had absolutely no art talent or skill back then. Just persistence.
Anyway, one of the six main characters is heavily related to fire. And I needed a quirk from him to make this a true comedy. Something random and funny. I chose an obsession over chilli. Because chilli is hot, like fire. And it's a random food. And everyone knows that random foods are key to a successful amateur comedy. Eventually, this led to the character having some form of worship over the Chilli God. Because there has to be a god of chilli.
Somewhere around Comic #100, I spontaneously decided to make myself the Chilli God in the comics and the forum it was based on. Because I needed a little ego boost, and having someone as your devout worshipper kind of works for that.
So I changed my name from what it previously was to The Chilli God. And then I kept on using that name everywhere I went.

Vondre
2007-09-22, 04:29 PM
h_v stands for haricot vert, French for green bean. It in turn is a reference to a small scene from the wonderful book Ender's Shadow.

That book is wonderful.

Anyway, my name: My brother and I at one point started a small private forum-based RPG called Unseen Earth (based on the gaming rule system called The Window (http://www.mimgames.com/window/)).

My character was created to be a bounty hunter with a moderate knowledge of hand-to-hand fighting, slightly above-average strength/agility, and a thorough education in explosives-based chemistry. He built his own weapons: shurikens with a small explosive charge in the center, suitable for scaring his targets, blasting the lock off a door, or puncturing the tires of an escaping car.

So I searched for a suitable "bounty-hunter" name, thought through vaguely Russian/German sounding things, and got Vondre Lendle.

Long explanation. Sorry!

ufo
2007-09-22, 04:37 PM
One time, I was walking past the forest besides our school yard, and two of my friends appear.

"Hey, dude, we just found out that our name 'means' ufo".

I was literally thinking "W-T-F?!", but I used it as my internet alias ever since.

My other internet alias, Gobmech (if you see it on the intarnetz, it's most likely me), originated from a time when Blizzard opened a new Battle.Net server for WarCraft III. Not long time before, they'd released the new hero Goblin Tinker, which I thought was cool. Goblin + Mechanic = Gobmech. I used that as my name on that server, and I use it everytime I need a username that must be on more than 3 letters.

Timberwolf
2007-09-22, 04:40 PM
Mine's because I love the Battletech universe and my (joint) favourite mech from that is the Mad Cat (aka Timberwolf)

Winterwind
2007-09-22, 04:44 PM
That book is wonderful.Indeed.

Mine's because I love the Battletech universe and my (joint) favourite mech from that is the Mad Cat (aka Timberwolf)Whose isn't? :smallwink:

Cyrano
2007-09-22, 05:27 PM
Do not ask where my words come from, for my mindscape is twisted and slightly uncomfortable.
Battlestar Galactica. Supporting character. Awesome.

ufo
2007-09-22, 05:33 PM
Do not ask where my words come from, for my mindscape is twisted and slightly uncomfortable.
Battlestar Galactica. Supporting character. Awesome.

It's an alcohol brand. Diana Beers.

Gaelbert
2007-09-22, 05:34 PM
My e-mail account that I never give to anyone except for forums and videogame places for their mailing is always cool(my name)[email protected]. I didn't feel like using my real name on a forum, so I put in gael, from gaelic, because I like to think I'm Irish. As for the cool, I had gotten so used to typing it into my e-mail, that I accidentally used it here and didn't notice it until it was too late.

Cyrano
2007-09-22, 05:34 PM
Oh hoh, aren't we clever! But no, Diana Beers is my alter ego, a DnD mage who can only cast spells whilst under the influence of alcohol.

ufo
2007-09-22, 05:41 PM
Oh hoh, aren't we clever! But no, Diana Beers is my alter ego, a DnD mage who can only cast spells whilst under the influence of alcohol.

You're giving me frightening and terrible ideas that may or may not become the end of the world.

Vaynor
2007-09-22, 05:50 PM
First D&D character, a gnome druid. He rode a wolf, IIRC.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-09-22, 06:03 PM
Bor = my first name, but backwards.

Barbarian Monk = an impossible multiclass that represents the contradiction that is me. My sig started out with the phrase "It takes dicipline to be this chaotic." Alas, "Be well" became a part of all my posts, so it was all but demanded that I sig that instead.

How am I a contradiction? Well, it's like this...I hate people. I hate people because I care about them. If I could care less, I'd like them more. Wrap your head around that one if you can. :smalltongue:

Logic
2007-09-22, 06:09 PM
I was hungry at work one day, and complained to my boss about not getting lunch after being on shift for almost 9 hours. A coworker responded by saying "You don't need to eat. You feed off of logic."

I was working the nightshift, so when time came to make an alias for myself, I settled on "Logic Vampire" which was shortened to just plain ol' "Logic" after the board migration of '06.

ufo
2007-09-22, 06:14 PM
"You don't need to eat. You feed off of logic."

That's logical.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-09-22, 06:26 PM
Honestly? I was thinking up names for a character. Not the elven bard-barian you know and love (or not), but some character for something else. The character was never made. But eventually when I came to these boards, I needed a name...normally I use Shrapnelwolf (coincidentally, what that other character ended up being named) but I decided I needed something more fantasy-roleplayish. And the rest is history and such.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-09-22, 06:32 PM
My name originated many years ago, back when I was a young internet whelp. I was about to make a Xanga blog account, because a girl I really liked told me to make one. I of course obeyed, and for many minutes I sat there trying to think up of a username. For whatever reason, I decided upon CockroachTeaParty. First of all, I like cockroaches and various other insects. Cockroaches are special, though, because most everyone hates them, and I find them inspiring. I was also trying to be witty, and the thought of some cockroaches holding a nice little tea party amused me. And so, my username came to be. I've been using it ever since. Oddly, my original xanga site died because of a girl I really liked. And so I came full circle, wiser, void of a stupid blog that nobody read, but wielding a username that no other human being on the internet had ever come up with. And final victory was mine.

Interestingly enough, my xanga existed a considerable time before OOTS, and when the demon roaches came along I was giddy. Then came the faithful day when THIS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0474.html) happened, and I rejoiced inwardly.

Prophaniti
2007-09-22, 06:47 PM
The name of a Daemon (at the time a Daemonhost) that was introduced and subsequently destroyed in one chapter in a superb WH40k novel. Liked it, took it, only been beaten to it on a few forums/websites.

wxdruid
2007-09-22, 07:11 PM
wx for weather

druid because druids get a lot of really cool weather spells.

and it's on my license plate now.

Nibleswick
2007-09-22, 07:45 PM
Well, my name comes from the book The Vicar of Nibbleswicke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vicar_of_Nibbleswicke), by Roald Dahl, about a dyslexic vicar, I am rather fond of the story, and it sums me fairly well (thank goodness for spell checkers).

A Rainy Knight
2007-09-22, 07:51 PM
I do enjoy rainy nights (unless they make the power go out). And I'm also fond of knights. Thus, a pun was born! :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-09-22, 08:18 PM
In the book "The Merlin Conspiracy", there was a sort of welsh death god called Gwyn ap Nud. I adopted the name, bacause i luurve anything like that. I recently found out that name means 'The Blessed Dark'. Fitting.

However, the Gwyn in my mind has gravitated alot. Now he's tall, with ivory white skin, and black hair. His eyes seem all black, and he dresses in a white loose vest, over some light black chain. He rides a horse that is white with black skeleton marks. He also has a sword with a white blade, the furrow's black, as is the blade. It has an ebony handle, and a diamond on the pommel.

No idea what the original looked like.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-09-22, 09:16 PM
Lord Iames Osari is the name of an important NPC in my campaign setting and the novel based on it. Admittedly, he's a bit of a Mary Sue, but :smalltongue: *phbbbbbbbbt* to all you MS-haters.

Xyk
2007-09-22, 10:54 PM
Mine is actually almost always my name for rpgs and anything actually. it used to be endokryne (after the gland). I was just thinking of names and zeke is a cool name even if i don't know anyone by that name. I also thought misspelling was cool at the time. this was the most outrageous misspelling i could think of in 5 minutes.

it is actually pronounced like zeke.

Extra_Crispy
2007-09-23, 12:25 AM
Lets see fried in a car accident when I was 18. Fire and electricity leaving large amounts of burns. The name is fitting but I did not get it untill a friend of mine was talking about another Steven (my first name) and I kept pestering him with stuff like "no i did not, that was not me" etc. So he got tired of it and said "Fine he is original recipe and you are extra crispy" So now when we are both gaming in the same game we are identified by either our character names or steve o, for him (short for steve original) and EC for me.

I have a interesting sense of humor so when my friend said that I laughed very hard and then when I joined this forum I decided to continue the joke. Plus like I said it is descriptive and thus it is fitting

Castaras
2007-09-23, 01:57 AM
Random letters put together.

And then 8 months after first using it I find out its a spanish town. :smallannoyed:

Oh well. If you see a Castaras on forums/mmos then its probably me.

Emperor Ing
2007-09-23, 04:19 AM
I was juggling stuff together, trying to get a decent name. It took me 10 minutes before this came up.
Its based on the nickname I gave my father. Randomperson.

Ashtar
2007-09-23, 05:06 AM
It's the name of the God of Time and Famine in my home-brew three hundred page campaign setting.
Born from the unwilling union of the nature goddess and the god of agriculture. Ashtar and his brother Garm were prophetically described as the anti-thesis of their father.

So Ashtar is famine and Garm is the chaos of war.

And bla bla bla, it goes on and on and on! Why doesn't it stop, why?

PlatinumJester
2007-09-23, 07:08 AM
I had a really cool pendant of Jester made of gold. However the name goldenjester didn't sound as good as PlatinumJester.

Zephra
2007-09-23, 10:10 AM
Zephra, derrived from Zephyr, greek god of the west wind/sea breezes.

Ted_Stryker
2007-09-23, 10:56 AM
I got it over Macho Grande. I choose not to divulge any of the details, because those wounds run pretty deep.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-09-23, 11:16 AM
[Insert Interesting Reason Here]
Hmm . . . apparently bracketed text doesn't count for the character limit.

Voidhawk
2007-09-23, 11:22 AM
Mine comes from The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, one of the best writers i've read. In it voidhawks are giant sentient spaceships created by humans using genetic engineering.

I just loved the image of a massive completly living creature soaring through space.

ufo
2007-09-23, 01:59 PM
Mine comes from The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton, one of the best writers i've read.

Oooh.. I'm nearly done with reading Pandora's Star, though I haven't read any of his other books. One of my personal favourite characters is the High Angel, surely.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-23, 02:18 PM
Mmmm....... well, my Otaku friends were goofing around a babynames webpage while talking on MSN. I logged on and she asks me what my Japanese Name would be. After looking arund the webpage, I found Haruki.

As some of you might know, Japanese people place honorific titles after a person's name, unless they are extremely close to each other, and the honorific for a male around my age is "-kun", so there it is. Haruki-kun

Haruki is a Japanese name meaning "Shining Brightly".

Ishmael
2007-09-23, 02:26 PM
Well, I made my account shortly after I read Melville's epic, and for some reason, I equated myself to being the protagonist of that story. Which, in some ways, fits. I am not an old Israeli prophet who killed the idol-worshiping king, Ahab. Alas.

I should maybe I should have titled myself Jim, after Lord Jim. Hmm...

Catch
2007-09-23, 02:27 PM
Holden Caulfield meets Joseph Heller.

And it's brief.

Timberwolf
2007-09-23, 02:27 PM
Oooh.. I'm nearly done with reading Pandora's Star, though I haven't read any of his other books. One of my personal favourite characters is the High Angel, surely.

It's good. I got a friend hooked on that series and refused to answer any of his questions.

*snicker*

Pepz
2007-09-23, 02:28 PM
my name is not at all that interesting to be honest :) My real first name is Pepijn, and I needed a cool internet nick

so I took the last three letters from my real name and added a really cool internet-z ;) Pepz was born ;)

it sucks that a lot of people seem to use it on forums tho :smallconfused: but I think I've got the best reason to use it :smallsmile:

Semidi
2007-09-23, 02:31 PM
I made it into a harcore Diablo II character, a hammerdin I think(He died to a lightning enchanted monster at level 45, I still remember). Thirty days later I started to Add Roman Numerals to the end of his name. I thought the name sounded cool so it stuck.

Leon
2007-09-24, 12:57 AM
Its my SCA name.

and i tend to now use it for anything that i'd rather not have my actual name on

ufo
2007-09-24, 07:49 AM
[OUT OF CONTEXT]My real first name is Pepijn:[/OUT OF CONTEXT]

That's probably the most awesome name ever. +1 charisma!

Dhavaer
2007-09-24, 08:06 AM
I made it up.

banjo1985
2007-09-24, 08:09 AM
I tried to put my username as just "Banjo" but inevitably someone had already taken it. So combine it with a number showing my age and this is what you get!

Fleeing Coward
2007-09-24, 09:00 AM
Needing a name for my bow using elven ranger + more than a couple of drinks = My name.

Haruki-kun
2007-09-24, 09:01 AM
I tried to put my username as just "Banjo" but inevitably someone had already taken it. So combine it with a number showing my age and this is what you get!

I knew it! You're 1985 years old!

banjo1985
2007-09-24, 09:05 AM
Yep but I don't look a day over 80 :smallwink:

falconslayer
2007-09-24, 09:20 AM
Falconslayer is my online Identity, I use the name whenever I play an online game. my e-mail ended up being [email protected]... the guy with [email protected] is an actual bird hunter... ew...

Googlywirdo
2007-09-24, 09:59 AM
Well, When I was in 5th or 6th grade I was obsessed with googly eyes and I couldnt spell weird for the life of me. So I used googlywirdo for a user name and I'm to lazy to think of a new name to use for internet things. I wish I had a cooler story.

Jacklu
2007-09-24, 11:32 AM
The story of my name is a long and complex one. It is a tale of love and loss. One of hope and temptation, of dreams and sorrow. A story unlike any other, both in its depth and its cultural impact! To tell this tale would take a very long time, in the time it would take to speak even the prologue of my story, a thousand cosmos would arise and collapse as countless eons went by.
Long story short, It is a corruption of my real name that came about as a result of an IM session spar that I had with a friend. The name stuck and I've been using it ever since. I even use it in RL.

Youngblood
2007-09-24, 12:32 PM
Youngblood is my business name at the tattoo/piercing studio I work at. When I first started working there, I was the youngest person they had ever hired and they hadn't had a new up and coming artist for awhile, hence the nickname "Youngblood".

eidreff
2007-09-24, 02:20 PM
Its a corruption (one of my favourite words) of my day to day nickname.

Arameus
2007-09-24, 03:35 PM
The story behind this name is long, sordid, and highly regrettable. And I'm not just saying that; would that I had never gone by this damnable pseudonym those few years ago.

Retroactively, however, I am using this name- which I have since fleshed out to Capt. Arameus Gashraf Halloway- as a character in one of my more ambitious stories; look for it on the site in the near future.

Edit: No, I can't tell you.

Supagoof
2007-09-24, 03:38 PM
My name comes from over 16 years of devotion to collecting and leanring about the character Goofy by Walt Disney.

Aside from a collection of 300+ Disney Goofy items, I started down the path of following this cartoon character due to my family being so obsessed with the mouse. And I have a large family, so you can only imagine where we've spent many a vacation and the most popular brand of things bought as gifts. Well, I took the path less wandered and devoted myself to not the mouse, but to one of the mouses well known companions. So this lead to buying shirts and hats and socks and all sorts of other things with Goofy on them, leading my friends to calling me "Goof" as it became very apparent that I was never to far away from something with his image on it.

Now take that nickname and begin to re-iterate it for fun's sake. I've been called Goofy, the Goof, Da Goof, Goofimus, Goofdawg, Sir Goof's a Lot, and of course, Supagoof. Also because of this my nickname has found it's way into pop music around my friend. Da Goof is on Fire (Fire Water Burn) and Goof-Dawggy-Dawg (Instead of Snoop Dawg) are the two popular ones.

So I took that one for my online stuff. E-mails and so on so forth. When I joined into GiantITP forums, it was naturally the one I chose.

Yes, I've used it in D&D games.
Yes, I'll respond in public to hearing the name Goof.
Yes, I've left it for restuarants to call my name when order is finished or the table is ready. :smalltongue:
Yes, I still collect Disney Goofy stuff.
Yes, you can send me Disney Goofy stuff in the mail. :smallwink:

Shrukan
2007-09-24, 07:38 PM
My name comes from my character I made up last year, named Shrukan. I made him about this time, September, and I have kept him ever since. Did really use his name until a few months ago, after I worked up his character and such..

reorith
2007-09-24, 09:49 PM
reorith is the name of my greatsword wielding paladin.

it came from http://rinkworks.com/namegen/ and i kinda like it.

daggaz
2007-09-24, 10:03 PM
It's the name of my drow enchanter on the mud Toril. I chose it to piss off all the rogues who didn't think of it first. (they have to use daggers or other light weapons on that mud).

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-24, 10:21 PM
My nickname is Em, my first name being Emily, and I have a brother on these forums, named Krimm_Blackleaf.

Em Blackleaf. :smallbiggrin:

de-trick
2007-09-24, 10:39 PM
my real name is derek and one day in auto body class I was looking in a magazine and a friend saw the name derick, So I was used that name for a Day(hardcore gansta name LOL) then I added Detrick then to DE-Trick, I don't think anyone took my name yet

Jasdoif
2007-09-24, 10:50 PM
One morning, a few years ago, my co-worker/boss went to type a login for a server at work, and his hands slipped (for reasons I can't recall) and fifteen or so random letters appeared on the screen. And right there in the middle of the jumble was "jasdoif", which looked almost pronounceable. And I decided it sounded cool, and added it to my list of pseudonyms.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-09-24, 10:54 PM
As I suspect most people here already know, "stupid fat hobbit" is what Gollum calls Sam in the movie version of Lord of the Rings.

I didn't put more than a second or two of thought into choosing this username when I signed up here. It doesn't really have any staggering cosmic meaning for me; it was just an amusing name that came to mind. Sam is a good character, though. Not so much in the book, but really outstanding in the movie.

Bitzeralisis
2007-09-25, 12:34 AM
Erm... Bitzeralisis... hrm...

Ehh...

Hmm...

Umm...

Oh. Right.

Bitzeralisis is one of my more major antagonists, only matched by Derkith and Corax, and that sword guy whose name I can't remember, and that other lightning guy, and that huge eye monster, and that demon, and the first enemy who refused to die around seven times, etc etc.

Okay. Maybe Bitzeralisis isn't that major.

I liked the name Bitzeralisis. He's a web hacker in the future. He managed to virtualize himself into the internet, summon monsters with his laptop, and all that good stuff. He wreaked havoc on a single planet, which is comparable to a pinprick on a huge, colossal dragon.

Anyhow, the main anti-hacker on that planet, whose name I forgot, tried to do everything he could to stop Bitzeralisis, to no avail. Bitzy shriveled up and disappearedm however, in an epic battle that seemed pointless because everyone knew that Bitzeralisis was going to win anyways but since the story was told from Bitzeralisis' point of view nobody knew that that goodguy person had a trick up his sleeve: a ring. The ring was magic; it bound itself to Bitzy and sent him permanently to who-knows-where.

Now the reason that Bitzeralisis is my name?

I think it sounds cool. It's my universal forum name... I could've gone with some wizardy thing, but no! *hits self*

Ah well. I can't draw an OotS robe anyways. Or can I!?

Nu
2007-09-25, 12:45 AM
"The Mystery of Life" Volume 841 Chapter 26:

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...

This is the truth! This is my belief! ...at least for now.

From the video game Chrono Trigger. Nus were weird, blue monsters that were awkwardly shaped, and had an attack that would either do 1 damage to you or reduce your HP to 1. They also served as NPC characters on occasion. I have no idea what the above passage, found in a random book in a floating city, was about, but it sounded cool at the time.

TheOOB
2007-09-25, 12:55 AM
My username (properly pronounced The O O B) is the result of a silly inside joke that shouldn't be half as funny as it is.

During a rousing game of Tekken (a game of which I am not very good at) one of my friends remarked that I was playing like, and I quote, "Old Balls". It was later after losing 10 some odd matches in a row that during the score entry screen they had me enter my initials as OOB, standing for the original old balls. The name stuck, and I eventually adopted it as my user name.

As for our online clan name, the Lay-Z-Boys, thats a story for another time, one that may not be entirely appropriate for these forums ;)

Triggerhappy938
2007-09-25, 12:59 AM
Ahh, an explanation I've had to give many times in the last decade or so. Mostly, it is due to the fact that my first online experience was not through a web browser, but through a first person shooter. Quake, to be specific. My brother, whom introduced me to FPS games, thought the name appropriate when I posed it to him, for my tendency to simply hold down the fire button on my mouse through the majority of a match. I actually took the name off of a villain from double dragon. The 938 was added later due to the fact that despite only ever encountering two other individuals directly who shared my username, Triggerhappy is taken in nearly every system requiring a username ever. 938 was the first 3 numbers of my student ID in high school, so I used that. I've been known to use "Triggerhappy911" from time to time, and "Triggerhappy" when I think to check and see if it is already taken. Oh, and one more thing...

Mine's because I love the Battletech universe and my (joint) favourite mech from that is the Mad Cat (aka Timberwolf)

I'll take my Swordsworn Atlas over your Timberwolf any day. :smalltongue:

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-25, 01:22 AM
Back when we could change usernames by ourselves, I had found an avatar someone made of a Zergling, which was a yellowish-orange. So, I adopted it, and changed my name to fit. When the board changed software, I just decided to stick with it.

Darkforge
2007-09-25, 06:34 AM
Long story really...

Throughout both my schools and my sixth form I had the same nickname which I used for forums and online games. Then I moved to uni, and people called me by my real name and after a few years when my Uni friends outnumbered my school friends then they started to ask why I had this (slightly insulting) nickname, so I decided to change my online handle.

After a couple of years of using my real name I started hanging on forums again and needed a new nickname.

About the same time I started LARPing and my first character was the brother of one of my friends characters (whose surname was Darkforge), unfortunatley my character greatly outlived my friends and became quite highly ranked and is now known as Sir Darkforge.

so long story short, I used my favourite LARP characters name.

Aeyamar
2007-09-25, 07:01 AM
My name originates from the name of a character I created for a novel my girlfriend is still currently writing. I liked the name I came up with so much I started using it for all of my usernames. This laptop that I am curently typing this on is even named "Aeyamar's laptop".

Gygaxphobia
2007-09-25, 07:16 AM
He just scares me... he really does...

reorith
2007-09-25, 10:11 AM
Long story really...
no this is a long story
http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext97/bwulf11.txt

Rex Idiotarum
2007-09-25, 10:39 AM
Rex Idiotarum was a phrase I made when looking through a latin dictionary for insults. I later drew a picture in paint of a guy in a tank shooting giant bullets at something. I labeled it with the phrase "O! Rex Idiotarum", mocking the idiot in the seat of the war machine, and placed it as my desktop background. Later, when I switched over to Broadband, I decided to get a new username for AIM, and chose the one on my desktop, "Rex Idiotarum." Meanwhile, I was reading the Dark Tower Series, I know I got the seventh book on 5/5/05, since it was also the day of my drivers test. So, my new title had to correspond something with the books I just read, and so Rex became a multiversal traveler, Similar to the Crimson King, who I felt wasn't the challenge he deserved. ((Main BBEG of the book, and @#$%in' Lobstrocities did more damage and had more of a show.)) Of course, as I developed his tale, he turned into a more pwntastic Man in Black with the overgod as the Crimson King...

So, there you go, you have Rex Idiotarum, multiversal traveler. But what about the rest of my characters? Mutacca was created when playing a friend in Smackdown vs. RAW and he complained about my overuse of the King of the Idiots. Marsarah was a general concept, I knew Rex had a reason for traveling, it's because he's in sane and his girl died. Tragic lost love in a place where ressing isn't common. Fenix and Ace 2 are really old characters. Fenix is from the fifth grade, when I started to learn about D&D. A traveling Elf-Sage, or was he? As it turns out, he's actual a fire elemental and protector of a certain Fire Elf that was heir to the throne of the fire plane, but they ended up fusing at some point when the kid was about to die. Ace 2 is even older, remember playing as him as a kid, a secret agent, a smart techy and rebel. He designed robots and prosthetics, but was called to work for the government because of who he is, one of five genetically enhanced superbabies. Tough, strong, fast, and has a really powerful mind.

I guess I got a bit distracted, and wrote the origins behind most of my characters...

Tamburlaine
2007-09-25, 11:01 AM
After the titular unstoppable conqueror from Christopher Marlowe's (awesome) play, Tamburlaine the Great.
It kind of appeals to my ego:smallredface:

sktarq
2007-09-25, 06:19 PM
I think I mentioned last time that I need to save this little speech on my laptop somewhere for Cut and paste reasons.

S and K are my initials
Tarq is short for Tarquin (hence the Q sounds like a K like in Iraq) who was the last Etruscan Govenor of Rome and was the name my father wanted for me but was vetoed by my mother. However some of my pals found this out and soon Tarquin, Tarq, Tarky, Tarko, (amoungst others) were added to my plethora of nicknames I had at the time. I sort of liked Tarq and kept it as an internet moniker ever since.
So yeah my name would actually be said Ess-Kay-Tark but since I can't let hear you mess it up I'll let it slide.

Jack Squat
2007-09-25, 06:50 PM
I'll eventually just get around to taking a pic of me with my shirt on, and that'll explain everything. But for now, I'll just type it again.

I have a shirt that has a name tag printed on it that reads "Hello: My name is Jack Squat don't expect too much" that I wore in gym class often. someone who didn't know my actual name called me Jack and thus Jack Squat became my nickname for a little while.

I have many more interesting nicknames, however this one's probably my favorite.

Hawriel
2007-09-29, 10:33 PM
Hawriel is my middle name. It was my great grandfathers name. He came to the US from Poland during the russo-japanies war. He lived neer the border of Poland and Russia. That made him elagible for the zars draft :smallamused:. I also used the name for my ranger character in D&D. not to be full of myself but because Im not very good at coming up with names that I dont think are totaly dumb. Ive never heard of any one els who used this name. maybe back in Poland and Russia it has more use. Ive use it for all of my forum names. As well as a charcter in an MMORPG I might be playing. Even if its not for the main character on such games. IF some one in BF2 or BF2142 shot you with that name it was me.

Oh forgot. It is Polish/Russian for gabrial. Cant remember witch language. The W is pronounced as a V.

Winterwind
2007-09-30, 06:59 AM
Oh forgot. It is Polish/Russian for gabrial. Cant remember witch language. The W is pronounced as a V.Must be Russian, then, for the Polish version of that name is "Gabriel", and I have never heard this one.

Dispozition
2007-09-30, 08:07 AM
Mine is technically stolen from a friend. His old username on games and that was D!$p0z!t!oN and I used that for a little while, then I changed to a normal Dispozition. I also use Synopsis, Legendinhislunchbox (my steam name) or...Human Condition. Took me a while to remember that last one...

truemane
2007-09-30, 08:46 AM
One day I wrote a story that started thus:

"Sir Christopher Arthur Truemane had been on the same quest for the last ten years, and altough he often felt that he would never live to see its ending, he had never felt his courage or his faith fail him, until this very moment. He had also never seen a dragon before, until this very moment. He could not help but feel that these two events were somehow related."

And since then I've had the name stuck in my head. I've attached it to dozens of characters, both in creative writing and RPG's. There was a stretch of years when my players would wait for the truemane to show up, because they knew one was coming eventually.

Also note the lower case 't'. I'm sure that's important for some reason. I just don't know why.

rubakhin
2007-09-30, 10:52 PM
View Post
Oh forgot. It is Polish/Russian for gabrial. Cant remember witch language. The W is pronounced as a V.

Russian hasn't got W, and it hasn't got much of an H, either. I'm almost certain that's a Polish romanization of a Jewish name.

Don Julio Anejo
2007-09-30, 11:04 PM
Рубахин превед =Р

My username is pretty simple.... It's my favorite kind of tequila!

Hawriel sounds like a Polish version of Gabriel (pronounced Gavriil in Russian). In Polish "H" is the same as "X" in Russian so it's probably not a Jewish name. There probably wouldn't have been that many Jews on the border of Poland and Ukraine/Belarus (Russia never actually had a border with Poland).

Vot predlozhenie, kotoroe vy naskoro probezhite glazami, a yesli reshyte vchitat’sya, to navernyaka zapnyotes’ cherez paru slov, i uzh tochno budete bez ponyatiya, kak vsyo eto proiznositsya.
Ффсе прекрасно понял и нифига не запнулся! С тебя сто рублей.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 01:37 PM

Bushwhacker all the way.

Also, "Fax Celestis" is Latin for "meteor". I picked it as I had a penchant for using my Latin dictionary as a method of character name acquisition at the time, and it stuck. People call me Fax IRL now, its become so prevalent.

Lolzords
2007-10-13, 03:37 PM
It sounded like a good idea at the time... :smallfrown:

STupendous
2007-10-13, 03:43 PM
Well, I wanted a username, and the ones I had in the past didn't suit me. I saw a friend of mine, named Sam, using Super Sam, so I looked for some adjective starting with S (because my name starts with S :smalltongue: ), so I came up with Stupendous. Since Stupendous Stephen was too long, I just shortened it to STupendous.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-10-13, 04:17 PM
My username is the name of my first 3.0 character (originally Lord Lorac Silvanos), an arrogant elven evoker specialist later turned necromancer.

I used it on the WotC boards, so I simply used the same when I signed up here.

As it is, it is mostly a tribute to my lack of creativity when it comes to finding suitable names for my own characters. :smallfrown:

A lot of people probably recognize me by my avatar anyway. *shrug*

DraPrime
2007-10-13, 04:20 PM
I think I've explained it before, but I'll do it again because I'm not sure. Back when I played Runescape I was trying to make a name that involved dragons, but that didn't have numbers in it. I had recently watched the Chronicles of Riddick, and there was a planet there called Helion Prime. I put Dragon and Prime together, and TADA! Now I use this name on several forums, and it's surprisingly un-used.

thubby
2007-10-13, 05:07 PM
mine comes from a character i made a while back that was a troll fighter/barbarian, he became the super character of our group. if their was something a 10ft absurdly strong troll could do, hes done it. he won the hearts of my friends, and really took on a life of his own. to this day we still talk about him "hey, remember that time Thubby..." he was even written into the campaign setting's history, and makes token appearances from time to time in one form or another.
i use this name in his honor.

Hell Puppi
2007-10-13, 06:53 PM
I think I already did the origin of this nickname a while ago, but I'm honestly thinking of going back to my old nickname, The Bunni.

Ah well I guess I can say it again how I came up with this nickname. A while back my friends and I went to a LAN store, because we were bored and it was cheap. When we sat down to play DoD, I couldn't think of a name. Then (for some reason) I thought of the Gorrilaz album and how it had a slogan on there "Pink Bunny shoots to Ill", so I named myself Pink Bunni (think the 'i' was a play off everyone spelling the word 'boy' 'boi' at that time). I played a sniper. I shot a lot of people in the head. At one point someone even stood up and yelled: "WHO THE #@%$ IS THE BUNNI?!?"
Me in a corner: "Hehehehe...."

And so for years I had the moniker 'The Bunni'.
(or Sniper Bunni or Gun Bunni)

I changed it to Hell Puppy in an effort to be less girly, but my friends got angry about it and complained "that it didn't even end with an 'i'", so it got switched to 'Hell Puppi'. Now I'm thinking of going back to 'The Bunni' because the name had stuck so bad that I receive bunny statues, bunny t-shirts, ect., to this day.

Vella_Malachite
2007-10-13, 08:44 PM
Mine's pretty simple.

I was going through a phase about the name "Morvella" at the time, and I love semiprecious stones, especially malachite, which is green. Therefore, I got "Morvella Malachite". Unfortunately, there was too many characters, so I shortened "Morvella" to "Vella", hence, "Vella Malachite".

Cade Shadow
2007-10-13, 08:50 PM
Name of a character. The name was actually Dark Cade, but that name was already taken at the place where I first used this.

TheLoveInterest
2007-10-14, 01:16 AM
Well, whenever I'm in a roleplaying game I always end up being the "love intrest", at first it ticked me off, than It became a joke :smalltongue:

But this isn't my typical username though, normally I go under "Azure Artist" because in school I often get bored and I always seem to have a blue pen on hand that I use to doodle up my arm (or more like from my finger tips to my elbow).:smallredface:

Hannes
2007-10-14, 01:34 AM
My real name >_>

Machete
2007-10-14, 01:42 AM
Once, when having a very deep talk about the human soul being likened unto a tool one person described themselves as a sword.

Although similiar, I am, more like a machete.

Reinboom
2007-10-14, 05:32 AM
My real name is Reina Aleen Sweet. Reina is pronounced Ray-ee-na .. people tend to get that wrong.
I've gone by in the past (for screennames): SZG [Twisted Girl], BunnieRein [I won't explain], Epicenter [Prime focus of uncontrolled power], Rain [Rain is beautiful to me], Rayne [Ditto], Rayn [Ditto], Rayna [Ditto], Rein [A Reign of the Rain - and a reverse play on Reina], Rain of Tears [Logic vs Emotion descript], Goddess of Tears [Mover of emotions], Soul of Tears [Ditto], and Mouse [Mice are cute!...].

Since Rein is more from "reign of the rain (of tears)", it's more from that than my name and Sweet fits both my name and an interesting line all in all.
"A Sweet Reign of the Rain of Tears".

Morchaint
2007-10-14, 08:20 AM
My name is elvish ( found it in a Tolkien elvish book ) for Shadows cast by light.
My regular nickname is Shadow, but that is so frequently taken...:(
Why Im called shadow: I am a huge clutz. I bang into things, dont watch where Im walking , and stub my toes etc more times than anyone could count. However, many years ago, I went to a girlfriend's home, for some... recreational noctural activities... at midnight. my girlfriend's mother, sister, and two dogs, all light sleepers.. I parked my car several blocks away, snuck in the backyard, went in through a window, and well.. ( enter more activities here ) and left a few hours later. I did this so well, quietly, and perfectly, that I had to convince my girlfriend that what had happened was NOT a dream, as she could find no trace of my passage either in or out. she gave me the nickname, later on, after I had explained the situation. that was multiple years ago, and Ive kept the name ever since. I use it every now and then for characters and other stuff. the avatar only matches, in how he wears a white priests cassock, yet runs around with all manner of weapons.

Maxdibe
2007-10-14, 08:20 AM
MaxDibe is simply a contraction of my name (Massimo) and surname (Di Benedetto).
Quite simple, but unique. I find that in the internet, 99% of Maxdibe accounts are mine. There are 2 or 3 which aren't mine (like Massimiliano Dibernardo) but I think I have the monopoly.

Other username I use around the internet are:
Hyoga (the original name of Saint Seiya character of cygnus <-- the best imho)
Ipno (greek god, son to the Night, brother to Tanatos [death])

BlackStaticWolf
2007-10-14, 08:27 AM
Mine is part of a family theme for AIM SNs. We've all got (color)(pseudo-energy descriptor)(animal).

I just happened to like mine, so I use it for other things.

Dullyanna
2007-10-14, 10:41 AM
All I can remember is that I needed a unique name for something. And Pollyanna popped up in my head (Why? I haven't a bloody clue). So I switched the Poll with a Dull , to go for a kinda-sorta not-really opposite type of thing. Since no one else has come up with it, I plug it in whenever I need a user name.

SMEE
2007-10-14, 12:42 PM
Mine comes from my university days. I used to wear a bandana and glasses, and then my friends started to call me "SMEE" as in Smee, Captain Hook firstman.
The nickname stuck so hard that even the teacher knew me by it. Few were those who knew my name, but almost everyone knew Smee. :smalltongue:

At that time, I hadn't came out of the closet yet. I know wish I did.

Rogue 7
2007-10-14, 01:32 PM
Star Wars, Rogue Squadron, Callsign #7- I'm a Star Wars nut, and the name's stuck.

Kiwi Queen
2007-10-14, 09:59 PM
My D&D character is the Queen of the Kiwis. (long story.) And the Godess of the Kiwis. She worships herself. :smallcool:

hyperfreak497
2007-10-14, 10:18 PM
My friend made it up for my AIM screenname when I was eleven (I had a knack for being quite hyper/freaky) and I've used it for practically everything since.

lordbrocktree
2007-10-15, 12:58 AM
my favorite charecter and book from the redwall series

Raiser Blade
2007-10-15, 01:30 AM
Redwaaaaaaaaaaaaall!

Salamandastroooooon!

I <3 Cluny the scourge! :P

Mizerchute
2007-10-15, 06:02 AM
*comes out of the shadows*

I was making an Earth2025 account a couples of years ago. "Think, Jason, think! What's a username that encapsulates who you are in the space of a few characters?" And I had my eyes screwed up in concentration. Eventually my powers of introspection and creativity came up with... your eyes are shut.

My Eyes Are Shut.

Micershut.

Mizerchute.

Yeah, it didn't really turn out as intimidating as I wanted. Not much like 'Machete' or 'TheLoveInterest' (now that's terrifying...)

Swordguy
2007-10-15, 06:07 AM
I direct fights for film and stage. This most often involves getting to play with swords. Hence..."Swordguy".

Griemont
2007-10-15, 07:48 PM
My brother yelled this at me once when we were playing 007 Nightfire back in our younger years. This being my username. I had to ask him how to spell it, though.

Halna LeGavilk
2007-10-15, 07:53 PM
This is the name of my level 56 LeShay character.

Tussy the Druid
2007-10-15, 07:55 PM
I took it from my cousin because when I tried using my usual aliases (Argrek, Burnakai, Irish Monkey) were all rejected.

And he still hasn't forgive me :D

(he even made a thread on the forums)

hylian chozo
2007-10-15, 08:21 PM
video games. in the legend of zelda series, the setting is almost always hyrule and the people are called hylians (link is usually hylian). in the metroid series, samus's adoptive parents and caretakers were a birdlike race called the chozo.
it's fairly simple

Chaotic Bob
2007-10-15, 08:29 PM
Wanna know where my name came from?
Do ya?
It came from my mind.
Ooh, how novel. :smallamused:

But slightly more seriously (only slightly) this name was the product of sheer whim, nothing more.
I don't even like bunnies.

Raiser Blade
2007-10-15, 09:12 PM
I don't even like bunnies.

Blasphemy!

Chaotic Bob
2007-10-15, 09:43 PM
A certain undead, sociopath sings a lovely song called "Slaughter Your World" that has a line I rather liked.
"I kill kittens
And puppies
And bunnies...."

And don't forget
"You see a wife?
I see a widow...."

See my general mindset? I don't really fit the bill for a bunny lover.

Icewalker
2007-10-16, 01:01 AM
I have a relatively large number of possible usernameness I go by.

First off is Jerdan, the first three letters of my and my brother's names, which we ended up using for our WoW account because it'd be obvious to remember. I don't use that one much, usually only if there is a separate character name from username.

Icewalker is my WoW character, first I got to 60. No real reason, I just decided on the name, and kept it.

Razax, or Razax the Scalpel is a name I came up with for a zerg cerebrate I was going to put into a custom campaign I was going to make, who was the one that controlled the hunter zerg, and was still around and trying to reunite the zerg after the Overmind is destroyed.

Lastly, a very recently acquired one, which I got out from the book Snow Crash, is Ultima Ratio Regum. Latin for "The last argument of kings" which is used to mean war. King something XVIII carved it into all the cannons in the England's navy. I plan to use it as a guild name in WoW, for a raiding guild.

Midnight Son
2007-10-16, 11:08 PM
I come from Alaska, the land of the midnight sun, so it's fitting in that sense. The other reason for it is that I was born late at night(actually around 2:00am, but the Twoam Son, just doesn't have the same ring). Also, I tend to be a night owl.

Soups
2007-10-17, 12:03 AM
Mostly from my last name (can you guess it?)
I was teased alot for it as a kid, but it grew on me after a while, kinda like it. Not too shabby. Sadly Soups seems to be a very popular screen name where ever i go, so it is usually SoupsMan. But on Fark BOTH were taken, so I thought I would take a fun spin on the CtrlAltDel screen names i see once in a while: AppleOptionEsc

(I own a mac, No one i have met online knows what that key combo does, unless it is a tech forum)

Sage of Laputa
2007-10-17, 08:55 AM
My username is from Gulliver's Travels. The wonky scholars who lived on the flying island (which was called Laputa) stuck in my memory. They were always intensely focused on their thoughts. Math, science and music were the main activities of the island. They would focus so intently, you would have to bop them on the head with a balloon on a stick to get their attention. And when they finally tried to apply their mathematics and science to a practical purpose, the results ended up being a little... fuzzy.

And flying islands held up by magnets are awesome. :smallbiggrin:

kamikasei
2007-10-18, 01:08 PM
It started out as a Quake handle for playing among friends in secondary school (high-school-equivalent). At the time I had just read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson, and so the name is my incredibly poor attempt at a pun in the handful of Japanese words I had gleaned from those books; it was supposed to mean something like "God of Mars" or "Spirit of the Fire Star" or similar.

I started using it in other places online where I wanted a distinct identity simply because it was never already used there. I would rather not think on how many people probably just assume I can't spell kamikaze.

Superglucose
2007-10-18, 09:09 PM
Well, in keeping with various traditions...

Whenever El Perezoso is not taken, I like to use that, a nod to my favorite online game on earth and it's creator.

ZombyWoof is for when I'm going for just an awesome factor. And it's funny when everyone refers to me as a 'Zombie' (which Zomby is not) and 'Wolf' (which Woof is not). It happens to be not only friggen awesome, but generally untaken, and a nod to one of my favorite songs ever, Zomby Woof by Frank Zappa.

Superglucose probably has the best story of all of them, as it stretches back to freshman biology in High School. I was always really (REALLY) good at biology, and was bored senseless by bio. Well one day we were making models of molecules, various sugars, etc... when one member of our lab group said, "Galactose... that sounds like the name of a super villain. Like, "Oh no! Here comes Galactose, to try and take over the universe!"" So then from there we invented an entire comic book world about Galactose and various molecules (in the downtime after our rediculously easy labs) and drew up stories (that I wrote). Water molecules were citizens, amino acids were cannons, it grew to be pretty in depth, and we needed a super hero/side kick.

Well, 'Fructose' kind of sounded like a great name for a side-kick, and it was kind of built like a fat side-kick with a cowboy hat (at least, the way we outlined him), which left the last monosachride (at least that we made), Glucose.

Since Lactose (or is it Sucrose, I forget, it was like five years ago) is Glucose + Galactose, we decided that Glucose was Galactose's siamese twin, and they were split apart by a horrible event that left Galactose permanently scarred. From there, Galactose was fought by Superglucose, protector of the cells.

So SuperGlucose is a superhero.

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-10-18, 09:18 PM
David Bowie's epic song "Ziggy Stardust" about Ziggy Stardust, the alien rocker. And i'm his roady!

Glawackus
2007-10-18, 09:22 PM
The Glawackus is a local mythical beast (specifically, the woods around Glastonbury, CT). It's supposed to be somewhere between a cat, a dog, and a wolverine.

It actually has its own (albeit brief) Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glawackus), and the Glastonbury Historical Society sells Glawackus t-shirts in the summertime to make a little extra cash. They sell out super-fast, though, so I haven't gotten one yet. :smallfrown:

So yeah. I usually go by "Mike Danger" (a nickname that came out of a joke during a standardized test at school, and a comic book that's pretty much impossible to find now), but I wanted a fantasy-y and unique name. So there you go. My Christmas present to myself is going to be to request a Glawackus avatar on the art thread. :smallsmile:

rashambo
2007-10-18, 09:37 PM
South Park reference....misspelled

Leliel
2007-10-18, 09:40 PM
During an excursion on Wikipedia, I came across the entry for the Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

One of the angels that most interested me was Leliel, a 2D beast with a 3D shadow, weird as that sounds. Needless to say I was interested.

I found out that Leliel was named for the angel of night in mythology. In fact his name, translated from Latin, means Jaws of God. Desiring a unique screen name that properly conveyed my personality and interest in myths, I decided upon that one.

Plus, makes for a nice sig, huh?

Grimfist
2007-10-18, 09:42 PM
Grimfist was the surname of my first D&D character, a half-orc monk.

Cruxador
2007-10-18, 09:56 PM
I used to be Crusader, when I was yea high, but that's all over the place, tons of people have it. so I just looked at the apparent origin, and re-engineered it in the Latin equivalent.

Dryken
2007-10-18, 11:27 PM
...I just was struggling for something to come up with and that popped in my head.

I mean...I named it after...a...book. Yes. About pirates. And gold.

Sgilti
2007-10-20, 07:53 PM
When I started playing Guild Wars, I wanted to make a ranger and then needed a name that would fit him. I'm a big King Arthur fan and in one of the Welsh epics, "The Winning of Olwen," there's a list of some 300 members of Arthur's court. I looked around for some ranger-ish names and came upon the description of three brothers. One could out-run any man. The next could out run any beast if he made it past a certain distance. And the third would always run along the tops of trees or the peaks of mountains and if he stood on grass, the blades would not bend beneath his feet. This was Sgilti Yscawndoerd, or Sgilti Lightfoot. I've used the name since then, simplifying it to sgilti here in the forums.

Also...

1) This is an Bean reference? Loved Ender's Game, but haven't read any of the other books.
2) Because your avatar looked like Albert Einstein, I always thought h_v was some reference to physics, with h being the Plank constant and v being the variable for the frequency of light. Silly me :smallbiggrin:

Sgilti
2007-10-20, 07:59 PM
...From there, Galactose was fought by Superglucose, protector of the cells.

So SuperGlucose is a superhero.

Didn't see this when I first posted, but that... is... AWESOME!

Reploid Knight
2007-10-20, 08:12 PM
Mine is from a (sort of) tabletop RPG my friend made up, where I picked Reploid as my race (yes, ripped off from Megaman X) and styled myself as a chivalrous broadsword fighter. A juxtaposition of ancient and futuristic archetypes, if you will.

Naihal
2007-10-20, 08:55 PM
N is the last letter of my last name, and Aihal is the name of a character in a book I'm reading now.

kpenguin
2007-10-21, 05:26 PM
The "k" actually stands for "killer". It's a reference to a certain easter egg in the first Zoo Tycoon game.

I also love penguins.

stryker
2007-10-21, 06:26 PM
Mine's pretty simple really, It's stryker because I'm addicted to speed and have really good reflexes.

topher
2007-10-21, 06:31 PM
My name is chris, nuff said.

xanaphia
2007-10-23, 05:07 AM
Obviously, all the good names are taken. Eltred=Eltrad Ulthwan in 40k...

Xanaphia is my character's name. How unorigional.

Xefas
2007-10-23, 05:22 AM
I played in a PbP game in which all the players got to be Gods and shape the universe however they wanted all the way from scratch.

My character's name was Xefas, God of Evil and Love. He tried to only allow evil people to know love...but *sigh* it didn't work out. Stupid meddling kinfolk!

They're all "No! That's not fair! These people are working their asses off to be good and virtuous! Why should their lives have to be sad and meaningless?"

And I'm all "Because good people are dumb! And I'm the God of Love, and I say you have to kick puppies and gut people from behind for no reason if you ever want to love someone!"

And then they're all like "That's stupid. We're combining our powers to thwart you!"

And then it's all like "NOOOO! :smallfurious: "

Kriel
2007-10-24, 12:17 AM
I got mine from Nuklear Age by Brian Clevinger. I figured I'd make my own demigod, so I chose Kriel, Harbinger of the Storm. I just shortened it to Kriel, just 'cause it sounds cool.

EspressoJet
2007-10-25, 11:02 PM
So ummmm.... at this school i go to, i got the nickname "espresso" but whenever i try, the name is always taken! then i combined it with part of another username i used to use..... yeah ummm... thats... alllllllllll...theres no reason to keep reading this post!...stop reading this post....NOW!!!!!!!!! there is nothing important!!!! (hello sam! ill see YOU in school) especially not the importance of the fact that the school is a private school for " :smallsigh:gifted kids :smallyuk: " named dunham academy!!!! of course there's nothing important!!! actually, there is one thing! Anybody who is reading this is obviously:
(a) a nerd
(b) a geek
(c) a dork
OR (d) all of the above!

if you chose answer (d) then congradulations! youve won two million dollars!!!! you can claim your prize by saying the password to me in real life or by texting the word HELP! to the following number!!!! the following number is: 9-1-1!!!!

Have a nice day! warning: side effects may include itching, scratching, lack of sleep, serious liver damage, pregnency, spontaneous combustion, death, hallucinations, blindness, deafness, becoming mute, and/or serious brain damage! erections lasting longer than four hours...

Kyros
2007-10-25, 11:07 PM
Basically it's just the name of my first D&D character and it's been the name of several other characters of mine.

Yeah.

lumberofdabeast
2007-10-25, 11:12 PM
Mine came from a bumper sticker on the car I was born in.

Yoritomo Himeko
2007-10-25, 11:48 PM

Years ago my brother made some animations for a show he was doing ( it was to raise money for land mine removal), and as a joke in the opening titles he put Bloodyredcommie.inc. A while later I was messing around with some very basic animations and did the same thing, at some point I was doing somthing online, needed a username, and used Bloodyredcommie. After that, I was making a runescape character, and I misspelled the name Bloddyredcommie, and since then have used that for preety much everything, mostly because it's easy to remember and nobody has ever taken it. Surprisingly enough, I have only ever run into one person who has taken the name seriously.

Well, the first part of my name is from the game, "Legend of the Five Rings". I've always like the Mantis clan, so I adopted the name, "Yoritomo". The second part of the name is just a Japanese girls's name that I liked. It means "Little Princess". I thought it was cute, not that I think of myself as princess or anything like that. :smalltongue:

Iudex Fatarum
2007-10-26, 01:38 AM
Well this is the sign on name I first had, Of course this was the old board system where my display name was Iudex_Fatarum, one of my favorite and first DnD characters. An aquatic elf monk who was LN to a T, almost LE. He regarded law as absolute in the universe and nothing should change that. He disliked the sun and set a record for being the only character any of us had seen keel haul himself (He was traped in a desert for 3 days and then teleported to a harbor and ship) he also had white skin and was albino but his parents got creeped out by his eyes so had a sorceror prestedigitate them when he was a kid but instead of just turning part black they were wholely black but still white skin and hair. I've revived him on a number of occasions. his name is from latin showing his pretentious ideology "Judge of the Fates" (ah good times thinking you are the main servent of a god while only lvl 10)
My current name is based on two things, one that my name is dull. and two that I graduated college last year at age 18 (i guess that makes me odd)
so combine the two, dull_oddity (I like the irony as well)

Alyorbase
2007-10-26, 09:14 AM
Well what can I say I still lol at the "All your base are belong to us!" video about the video game Zero Wing (which unfortunately I've played as well :smallmad: ). So my user name is a play on that line. It is also the name of my first World of Warcraft character, so I've kinda stuck with it. :smallbiggrin:

BrokenButterfly
2007-10-26, 09:30 AM
A Broken Butterfly is a magnum in Resident Evil 4.

I enjoy the game, and the gun's strong but I just like the way the two words flow together.

Muz
2007-10-26, 10:44 AM
"Muz" is a nickname I've had since high school. (WARNING: Long yet dull story to follow!)

A bunch of us were over at a friend's place, and his mom's boyfriend was a substitute teacher whose last name was Barnes. He'd recently subbed for a 1st grade class, and one little girl liked him enough to where she drew a picture for him that was hanging on the fridge. In the picture she'd written "I like you, Mr. Barnes!"

...At least that's what she meant to write. As little Tabitha was only in 1st grade, her spelling wasn't so hot, so what she wound up writing was "I liki you, Mesr Brne!"

Well we all thought this was endlessly hilarious, and as my friend's last name was Brown, we started calling him "Mesr Brn." (No E in Brown, you see. We were very logical.) Soon enough, they decided to tweak my own last name (Munz) in a similar fashion--removing all vowels but one and an important consonant--and I became Mesr Muz. It carried on to college, where the Mesr got dropped, and I was just...Muz.

I'm out of college now, and few people call me that anymore, but hey, works for a good screen name, I figuer. :smallsmile:

Now aren't you all glad you sat down and read that? (And no, you can't have the last 60 seconds of your life back.) :smallwink:

There's another Muz out there on the Interwebs somewhere, 'cause the name is already taken on Battle.net. I know not who he is, but he is an impostor, says I! :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2007-10-26, 11:57 AM
i got my nickname when I wend bowling with some friends and we all thought of cool bowling names mine just stuck and is used in many games and websites across the internet

MCerberus
2007-10-26, 12:10 PM
My GM name on a PbP site preceded by my first initial because it was taken.

Maerdred
2007-10-26, 12:40 PM
I've posted in at least two of these posts previously, but I like the story, so I'll type it up again.

I have a few specific criterion for making a name in any setting, whether it be a forum or a game. First is Characters from songs. Such as Harpua from the song by Phish, or Millie Grace from the song Fee by Phish. Another is names from my favorite books, mainly anything Stephen King has written. Usually I take a first name from one and a surname from another. Or I look for a name that works as a solo name, or one that already is.

When I first got World of Warcraft, I tried a few of each and the one I finally set upon was "Mordred Deschain" from the Dark Tower. Mordred was taken. Deschain didn't sound right, so I tried to think of something that was similar to Mordred.... I started with Mordulous. It started out the same way, and sounded WoWish... After about a month I decided to move on to a new character, and Maerdred was what popped into my head. It sounds and looks almost the same as Mordred, and it's different enough that it confuses people. Even those who know that the original name (and character) was stolen from Arthurian legend.

RelentlessImp
2007-10-26, 12:54 PM
I once played a Gnome Warrior in EverQuest named Xtis Cee. I met a Wood Elf Ranger girl named Teneel in Highpass. Apparently, my antics prior to level 20 reminded said ranger girl of an Imp, so the nickname "Imp" stuck.

The Relentless part came when I learned "Imp" was a fairly common handle in certain places, and the fact that I was relentless when it comes to certain things.

So, The Relentless Imp, shortened to "RelentlessImp" where appropriate.

(PS, said ranger girl eventually became my best friend, girlfriend for about six months, then best friend again, in case anyone was wondering :P)

captain_decadence
2007-10-26, 01:25 PM
Well, I am not completely sure why my username is what it is, but to the best of my recollection it was something like this.

A friend of mine was talking about the Seven Deadly sins with me and we made all of our friends name what they would be. Strangely enough, we got all of them in exactly 7 people. We decided that we should combine our sin powers, like Captain Planet, except...not. We decided the name for this person would be Captain Decadence. It's kinda stuck as an internet handle and some of my friends call me Captain in real life.

Ossian
2007-10-27, 01:02 PM
Ossian, from the wiki

In early Ireland, fianna (singular fian) were small, semi-independent warrior bands who lived apart from society in the forests as mercenaries, bandits and hunters, but could be called upon by kings in times of war. They appear in Irish mythology, most notably in the stories of the Fenian Cycle, where they are led by Fionn mac Cumhaill.

Oisín (Old Irish, pronounced "uh-sheen"), son of Fionn mac Cumhail and of Sadb (daughter of Bodb Dearg), was regarded in legend as the greatest poet of Ireland, and a warrior of the fianna in the Ossianic or Fenian Cycle of Irish mythology. He is the narrator of much of the cycle.

I lived in Ulster for 4 months in 2000, and took literature at college. Yeats and the Wanderings of Oisin were opened before me, and it was love.

O.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-10-27, 01:22 PM
My name's just Finnish for "Songs of Emptiness."

Quirinus_Obsidian
2007-10-27, 01:33 PM
I was a long time Roman history major; before I got into computers. The given name is a result of that. Quirinus_Obsidian is not only my original DnD character name, it is also the name of an early Roman god (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirinus). There were also later Saints of Quirinus; some whom were reported to be vampires (still searching for information).

The surname (Obsidian) came out when I started playing DnD. He was a descendant of a mining crew that was killed and raised by Necromancers. The undead created by these necromancers took the name 'Obsidian 6' (reports of their destruction are pure speculation). He was raised by a tyrant leader of the Necromancers; the oldest of 2 children. Quirinus Obsidian was raised until the age of 4 in an Evil monastery. One night, he was taken from this place by his birth mother and taken to a town called Cauldron. There he was raised in the light; but his heart was always one in darkness. He became as Neutral as possible. The story goes on and on...

cykessa
2007-10-27, 02:19 PM
When I first met our DM, he didn't tell me that he played or that he was DM of his group. We were friends for several months before he told me that he played. (He was afraid that I would react badly, since his current girlfriend didn't like that he played and he was enjoying our friendship).

Anyway, he had created what was supposed to be an NPC. Shortly thereafter he told me about his group and the campaign.

I had played before and was interested in trying again, but I didn't know the new rules. So he invited me to come to a session and play this new NPC. He told all about her. If I liked it, I could keep her and play or roll up my own character.

I played. I liked it. I liked the character. I kept her. Being a little oblivious at times, it took about a month for me to start seeing similairities between the character as created and me. I innocently said something to the DM.

He pointed out all the similairities and told me that the character was based on me. This started a very interesting conversation. We have now been together 5 years and have been married for a little over two.

I have been using the name ever since.

I know. It's corny, but it's true.

roy_greenhilt
2007-10-27, 02:24 PM
It's kinda obvious where my username came from.

D-Force-Fan020
2007-10-27, 11:07 PM
I'm a fan of the band Dragonforce.

Dave Rapp
2007-10-27, 11:14 PM
It's... kind of my real name.

Dendric
2007-10-28, 02:54 PM
Dendric was a name a came up with to be a minor character in a story I'd written, but I ended up not needing the character. I liked the name, so I decided to use it as a forum name and for characters in various MMORPGs.

†Seer†
2007-10-28, 03:19 PM
Seer comes from a variety of experiences in life.. Started when I made an offhand guess at what'd happen with my friends new gf and it was 100% right, then during jeopardy in a high school class, I heard 3/4 of the question and threw out an answer that was correct (math question nonetheless).

The largest reason is from Ultima Online though. During events on the Baja shard, two sides (Royal Guards and Partisans of Chaos) went head to head to see who'd win, and I was the head of the Partisans. Had gathered a group of dedicates and the 4 of us (there were others in a few events but for the most part was us 4) beat the 7+ guards at every event except one. My character's name was 'The Unholy Seer', and everyone just called me Seer, so I took it on as an alter ego :P To those wondering...yes I put on a cape and go fight crime.

Purple Cloak
2007-10-28, 03:47 PM
well mines probably obious but never mind,

i wanted somthing OotSish, and i think redcloak is cool,

i like purple so it seemed like a good idea at the time........

smellie_hippie
2007-10-28, 05:43 PM
I've always been known as "hippie" amongst my friends. It makes for a nice nickname, easy to use email account, etc...
smellie_hippie...... I grabbed it back in the mid 90's as an email account on yahoo (yes you all now know how to email me) and the name stuck. It was nice because I was able to avoid all that username615 and other random letters that bug the hell out of you. Who emails Chris83465?? :smallconfused: honestly....

so yeah.
I'm a hippie. :smalltongue:
I don't smell. :smallyuk:
I'm smellie_hippie. :smallbiggrin:

Bobert
2007-11-18, 06:03 PM
Hmm... I believe the exchange went something like this:

DM: What do you want your character name to be?
Me: Bob. Definitely Bob.
DM: What? No! You can't be Bob!
Me: Fine. Robert.
DM: No.
Me: 'writes Bobert on character sheet when DM isn't looking'

Falconer
2007-11-18, 06:14 PM
I've always thought falconry was awesome, so there you are.:smallsmile:

Lyesmith
2007-11-18, 06:22 PM
:smalltongue: Read Good Omens, and loved the character. I've also got no imagination and had been reading aforementioned book a bunch last december.
Oh, and Falconer? I love your sig. So hard i'm stealing it for use on MSN.

feghoot
2007-11-18, 06:27 PM
A feghoot is basically a shaggy dog story that ends in a pun. I learned about them while flipping through the dictionary.

Pwenet
2007-11-18, 07:26 PM
About six months after World of Warcraft came out, I got back into the crack habit, err, WoW habit and wanted a new username. At the time I was reading RA Salvators Drizzit books, and took the name Pwent and modified it slightly, and started using it regularly since then.

The one thing I am horrible at is creating original names :smallsigh:

Methedras
2007-11-20, 09:31 AM
Blatant thievery

Methedras
(S. 'end-horn') The southernmost peak of the Misty Mountains, that lay above Isengard in the valley of Nan Curunír.

GuesssWho
2007-12-25, 07:42 PM
When I was way younger, I thought the image of someone trying to guess who, out of everyone in the whole frigging world, I was, to be hilarious, and now I'm stuck with it, as I'm too lazy to come up with something better.

Read that again and it will make sense. I promise.

Crimmy
2007-12-25, 08:10 PM
I started a while ago with the comic "8 bit theatre" and i loved both black mage and red mage, so i thought "what would come out of mixing black and red mage?"

and that's where the magic started

BizzaroStormy
2007-12-26, 12:36 AM
My and my friend would draw comics in math class to get rid of boredom. one day, we drew a pirate ship with a captain that had a jesus beard. Now, this was on the back of my homework, I used a sharpie which leaked a 0 onto the back of the paper right above the pirate's head. When I got it back, my teacher had written "Pirate Jesus?" with an arrow pointing at the stick figure.

Thanatos 51-50
2007-12-26, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure if I've posted it on this forum before, but I have posted it before.

"Thanatos" is the name of the Greek God of Death. I first ran into it while reading "On a Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony.
My initials are DEF, or "Deaf", when I was a younger child, this was a very well-known fact, and my friends would often call me "Deaf". However, us being small American children as we were, "Deaf" was often mis-pronouced "Death", and I acquired a bit of a complex.
I researched the Greek Dety a bit, and well -liked him, he has since become my favortie Diety.

"51-50" is radio code used by (at least some American) poolice forces to mean "Crazy" or "Insane". I used to liken myself to a crazy guy, simply becasue thats what I did - this was back in my sophomore year of High School, when I first used this username on a seperate message board.

To me it meant "Lunatic Death", "Death - Crazy", or other such permutations of that, I've used it ever since, occasionally just using "Thanatos" or "Than", depending on the situation.

Its actually caught quite alot of attention, from people asking my if I was Greek, people being mad at me because I used a Greek word in my online name, and from people thinking I was making a Resident Evil or Persona referance.

The Bushranger
2007-12-26, 09:54 AM
Way back when I signed up for my first online forum, it was one specialising in the NASCAR Busch Series (think racing's version of Triple-A baseball). At the time I was a bit obcessed with Australia, and so a terrible pun was formed in my mind, and I became The Buschranger.

I've used other aliases at times, but recently I've returned to being The Bushranger, since anywhere else the pun would just make people think of beer. :smallwink:

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-26, 06:39 PM
Its actually caught quite alot of attention, from people asking my if I was Greek, people being mad at me because I used a Greek word in my online name, and from people thinking I was making a Resident Evil or Persona referance.

He's telling the truth.

I pmed him in the first place because I thought he was Greek like me.

But he isn't. :smallfrown:

(btw, thanatos is not only god of death, but Death in greek)

Lady Tialait
2007-12-26, 06:45 PM
My name is one of my Favorate (not to mention my players) Favorate NPC...a level 20 Druid 5 Heirphant...who is married to a PC's Palidan and is a moody preggo

WrstDmEvr
2007-12-26, 06:47 PM
I chose my username because I am indeed the Worst DM Ever!

TheLogman
2007-12-26, 08:47 PM
It all started when I was searching Random articles in Wikipedia. I went to the Foster's Home for Imaginary friends article, and found out the latest episode contained a reference to this old show called "Twin Peaks". I was bored, so I read it. Later, through clicks A la this (http://xkcd.com/214/), I found out about a game call KoL. Since I thought Twin Peaks was pretty cool (Having just read the article), I created the account The Log Man, the The Log Lady, cept a guy. When it came time to create an account for this site, it seemed obvious to use the same name.

Squidmaster
2007-12-26, 09:05 PM
Because The Squidmaster sounded to formal:smalltongue:

Acctually, it is partly because I like Zoology, and partly because I like Obscure usenames.

(Also, Mind Flayers are awesome BBEGs)

Teh_Doon
2007-12-26, 09:41 PM
In highschool a lot of my friends and I were into Donny Darko. We would write "Where is Donny?" everywhere we could. One day I wrote "where is Doony". It quickly became my nickname and then my forum name.

jmaccabeus
2007-12-26, 09:47 PM
Originally "Judas Maccabeus". Immediately, I took it from a piece of music by 18th century composer Georg Friedrich Haendel. It's very good, perhaps a bit hard to find, but if you can I recommend listening to it. I'm a big devotee of Baroque period music, so that was an easy choice for me (I use the name at many other places, as well).

Ultimately, it comes from the Latinized version of the name of a 2nd century BC Jewish military leader, whose exploits inspired the festival of Hannukah. That wasn't in my mind at the time, though.

Sneak
2007-12-26, 09:49 PM
Hrrmmm, don't think I've posted in this particular username thread yet. :P

Anyways. I like sneaky stuff. I like rogues.

Sneak.

I understand if you don't really get it, it's kind of complicated.

Mando Knight
2007-12-26, 10:06 PM
Pretty much all my life I've been interested in both sci-fi and medieval fantasy...

In case any of y'all didn't know, Mando, short for Mandalorian, is the name for a society of shock troops in Star Wars... Boba and Jango Fett from the Star Wars movies each had their stints as leaders of said culture in the SW EU...

Also, I like Arthurian knights, with their monster-slaying, princess-saving skills... hence, a Mandalorian knight.

The Bunny
2007-12-27, 02:53 AM
Got the name because of my dietary habits (yeah I'm a vegetarian, no I'm not going to rant about it).

Alarra
2007-12-27, 09:10 AM
At the time when I joined gitp, Alarra was the name of the main character in a book I was writing. I've since changed her name because Alarra has become synonymous with me and as such, it would be weird to have a book about 'me' that's not about me.

Exachix
2007-12-27, 09:35 AM
Exachix was a string of Letters I got for a Secondary Character in an MMORPG. And it was his second name.

The First Online name was Coll1000. Some of you who still have my old address on MSN will notice that name =D.
He was my first character in Runescape. And My Main in Anarchy Online.
It came from my shortened first name (Coll__ to Coll) and adding a number as 'Coll' Was taken.

'Exachix' Was originally 'Coll1001' Yay For imagination.
I changed it to Exachix because 1) That's boring. and 2) I wanted a name with an x in it =D.

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-27, 09:48 AM
Hrrmmm, don't think I've posted in this particular username thread yet. :P

Anyways. I like sneaky stuff. I like rogues.

Sneak.

I understand if you don't really get it, it's kind of complicated.

Ewww:smallyuk:

You people are sick.

Honestly, who likes rogues?:smallconfused:

sapphail
2007-12-27, 10:00 AM
I'm getting a distinct whiff of threadomancy. Doesn't this topic pop up every few weeks?

Kyroswolf
2007-12-27, 11:46 AM
When I was in college I joined a service club (read as a frat on a school that didn't allow Greek organizations). Kyros is a great warrior from that clubs mythology. I was playing DiabloII a lot at the time, and the LoD expansion had just came out. I made a Druid and named him Kyroswolf....been using it ever since. Odds are if you know a kyroswolf on any board or video game it is likely me.

Diva De
2007-12-27, 01:20 PM
My 2 best friends and I in high school one day had a discussion about if we had super hero names and abilities. (We had to create each others', not our own.) My name is De, and because of my love of music/dancing/karaoke/nightclubs, they decided I was Diva De! I even had a theme song..."Sweet by day, smart by night, Diva De by disco light!" (I know, cheesy!)

When I created my first email account, I decided to use it. 21 has been my number in organized sports my whole life, so it got added to the end since DivaDe was taken.

Crimmy
2007-12-27, 02:36 PM
He's telling the truth.

maybe that's why he was participating in "Colors in the playground" as black

Ewww:smallyuk:

You people are sick.

Honestly, who likes rogues?:smallconfused:

Ask FoE

Mauve Shirt
2007-12-27, 02:42 PM
I clicked "random item" on TV tropes and this seemed appropriate. :P

ObeeKris
2007-12-27, 03:17 PM
I've been a Star Wars geek for decades. I was working at a Kinko's around the time Episode 1 came out. There were about 4 of us in that store who were all around the same age and SW fans and gave ourselves SW nicknames. I got stuck with Obi-Chris (since Chris is my real name). I decided to adjust it to make it a little more my own.

And any refence to ObeeKris you'll find online will be to me.

hanzo66
2007-12-27, 04:28 PM
Long time ago I was playing Samurai Warriors and was watching Kill Bill. Ever since then I used Hanzo as a basic username for boards. I have since either taken to abridging the name into Hanz or used other names for it (most people on the net tend to call me Hanz).

Aristeidis
2007-12-27, 05:33 PM
My Username is actually my name. Two words constitute this Greek name:
Aristo- = "perfect"
-eidis = "kind" or "son of "
Aristeidis means "perfect kind" or "son of he who acts perfectly"

I'm da Rogue!
2007-12-27, 05:46 PM
^ Are You Greek? No Kidding, Are You Greek?

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-12-27, 08:36 PM
My user name is based on throwing out two letters of my real name to get "Altair" (a rather interesting star (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair), and the name of the first home computer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_8800)), and my customary epithet: "the Vexed".

Now, "the Vexed" comes from the time I was signing up for my first email account. Despite my unusual spellings of my (real life) name, which Google still insists is unique in the world, it took me several goes on Yahoo and Hotmail to get a unique email address sorted out, by which time, I had become vexed.

Crimmy
2007-12-28, 12:31 AM
nice, i like stars too,and computers.
if you know Altair, then you must know It's constellation, Aquila.

anyhow, neat username

SpiderKoopa
2007-12-28, 07:41 PM
Ah, mine has just been my internet name for so long, it's just stuck.
Although, I believe that I took Spider from Spider-Man (I used to be a huge fan, now I'm just a moderate one :smallwink:) and Koopa from Bowser Koopa of course. I still place Bowser on my top favorite 10 villains. :smallbiggrin:

mockingbyrd7
2007-12-28, 10:49 PM

Were you tired when you made this post? :smalltongue:

I kid, I kid. Actually, I don't. But what I'm getting at is that I mean no offense.

I actually get my username from my parents. As long as I've been around, for email accounts and MMORPG subscriptions and such they've always used some variant of "mockingbyrd" or "mockingbird<insert number here>". Naturally, I caught on, and have used it somewhat consistently ever since.

I also know how they started using mockingbird in the first place; at our old house, there was a mockingbird who lived in the area. It would reproduce every noise it heard. This bird learned to perfectly imitate the "BBBBBRRRIINNNGGG!" of the house phone, and always had us running to the phone, etc. My parents, though slightly irked by this, also admired and appreciated the bird and its music and started using it as their username.

GryffonDurime
2007-12-28, 11:53 PM
Oh deary...I'm not too proud of this, but my name originated from my very Roleplaying character...well, non-videogame roleplaying character, anyway. It was a Harry Potter thing on Angelfire, and the character was supposedly a distant relation of Godric Gryffindor who ended up, appropriately enough, in Ravenclaw and resented the fact that his family put so much stock in their bloodline that they named him Gryffon.

The Durime bit is just a bit of Franglish: du = of, and rime is of course an English word meaning frost or ice. So Gryffon Durime.

The name later stuck and I took it with me, reinventing it a couple times...as roleplayed characters on a game called Graal, and on a forum RPG I once played.

I've never made a DnD Gryffon Character, though.

Phae Nymna
2007-12-29, 12:28 AM
Admiral came form my general love for military titles. (no pun intended)
Walrus came from sheer humor value between a friend and I. So technically, it's an inside joke.

Which means you should feel very alienated.
And cold.
And alone.

Premsyl
2007-12-29, 02:54 AM
I modified the name Premysl which refers to a dynasty of Bohemian kings. The first character who wore it was an evil high-elven mage who after his master was taken out of the picture stood a strong chance at taking over the region.

ARMOURERERIC
2007-12-29, 03:22 AM
I'm a professional armour maker, been making it part time as a hobby since 1983, full time in 1992, and also since 2005. I was the first ever armoury to start an ebay store in mid 2000, and recently had my first serious film gigs; I sold 20 pieces for the background extras in the Tudors and made all the longcoat arms and those big nasty brass shoulders for Kathleen Robertson in Tin Man.

Eric Joseph
James River Armoury
San Diego

Arioch
2007-12-29, 03:49 AM
Arioch is a demon of vengeance. I tried other demons, but they were all taken.

Groundhog
2007-12-29, 03:42 PM
Mine comes from the fact that my birthday is on Groundhog Day. The 22 is because that's the date of Groundhog Day (Feb 2nd) and when I first registered for a site (it was msn games) plain "groundhog" was already taken. And I just used the same name for all subsequent sites that I joined, to avoid confusion.

Zombie pixe
2007-12-29, 06:24 PM
think of how useless a Zombie Pixe would be!! that kind of reflects upon how i look at myself

and also the spelling mistake is intentional pixe (well, it was after the first three times. besides, no one ever has this name now:smallbiggrin: )

Admiral Squish
2007-12-29, 06:52 PM
My name comes from the strange, aimless depths of my mind. I have no idea how or why, really. It used to be captain squish, but I decided it was time for a promotion.

Lord_Asmodeus
2007-12-29, 06:57 PM
Its the name of the Lord of Baator, the King of Hell, the Master of Devils from D&D (obviously) My username used to be I3rigand, and before that it was Bloodhawk91, but I like Asmodeus alot, plus Brigand was often taken (hence the I3) While Lord_Asmodeus is almost always free.

Cruxador
2007-12-29, 07:16 PM
For a while I was Crusader, but that was almost always taken, and kind of cliche.
So all I really did was go back to the origin of the word, in its Latin form.

Keris
2007-12-29, 07:38 PM
Keris Rain (middle name Jonathan) was a character I made for a friend's Call of Cthulu game. Keris was a name I pulled out of nowhere, Rain is stolen from Rain Jewlitt, and Jonathan made him sound more cultured (he had a stupid amount of cash).
I was the best RPer in the group, we were sent to investigate a haunted house, I 'gaurded' the car.

I've used it as an alter ego ever since, along with a 'younger brother' alter ego, Bel. (Originally a demonic familiar)

Kneenibble
2007-12-30, 05:56 PM
Cruxador, I'm a Latin nerd and the word doesn't look familiar to me. Where did you draw it from?

Anyone ever play Ultima Underworld? On the fifth level there were a couple of ghouls with ghouly names. Shanklick, Eyesnack, Marrowsuck, and Kneenibble. The last was my favourite.

EvilElitest
2007-12-30, 10:09 PM
A brief explanation of elitest
normal elitist are guys who think themselves better that other people based upon their many stunning accomplishments that give them the right to judge others
Elitests are just egotistical jerks who act like there better than other people but have nothing to their name

however, all elitists and elitests are evil

Basically, i am An EvilElitest not an Evil Elitist, very important difference
from,
EE

ChomZ
2007-12-30, 10:38 PM
In grade 12 jazz band, it was my nickname, the first week of res. in U Waterloo (southern Ontario Canada) my roomy in SJ was called Chops (on account of his huge chops). I say, cool! last year I was ChomZ. Now it's all I go by in certain circles (some guys in the basement don't even know my first name).

KerfuffleMach2
2007-12-30, 11:07 PM
It all started with a math assignment.

Back in 11th grade, as an extra-credit assignment, my teacher handed out a sheet with some words and told us to find the definitions. They were some strange words, like juxtapose. One of the words was kerfuffle. The definition is chaos. As soon as I found that out, kerfuffle became my favorite word.

The next year, I had to get a new email address, because something happened with my old one, and it wouldn't work. So, I immediately thought of kerfuffle. But that sounded boring by itself. After some time of thinking of ways to make it sound better, I came up with KerfuffleMach2.

HalfDragonITP
2007-12-31, 01:25 AM
My favorite DnD character was a half bronze dragon, and I used halfdragonbronze (wanted to mix it up, I dunno) on a few other forums. I wanted to use a similar thing here but figured I'd throw ITP on the end.

SexyOchreJelly
2008-01-01, 08:12 PM
There's just something horribly arousing about oozes, don't you think?

That's how my username came about.

Goats_o_Mjolnir
2008-01-01, 08:14 PM
:smallbiggrin: I just like Nordic fantasy

Warshrike
2008-01-04, 12:15 AM
Eh, I'll do every name I use on the intertubes these days...

Warshrike- Stolen from Terry Brooks and the Shannara series.
Fleshman- I got booted from a game of Starcraft. It was about Zombies. I wanted to get back in. Zombies eat Flesh. Eventually, Fleshman became a superhero in my group.
E-Wakka(KBH) My old Starcraft Name. A mixture between an Ewok, And Wakka from FFX. I don't know why I invented this, but it involes Exile by Spiderweb Software somehow. KBH comes from my old Alien Versus Predator1 Clan.
Fleshrike/Fleshshrike- Combo of first two for when both are taken.
Emeran Takeshi- For some reason, this is the name I have in my dreams.
Lady Sharas- My Elven/Archon Wizard Queen in Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, among other such customisable games.
Malaki- The first name I used in a roleplay.
Andalath- I needed a name for a Baldurs Gate character.

SomethingElse
2008-01-04, 12:24 AM
I used to be called Pseudopod, but people kept making fun of it :) so I made a thread on RPGnet asking for a new username. I listed four possible options, and the fifth was "something else," as in, someone else would suggest someone. Someone said, basically, your first four options suck, you should call yourself "Something Else." and so I did.

h2doh
2008-01-04, 02:00 AM
A combination of the formula for water and The Simpsons

SomethingElse
2008-01-04, 02:07 AM
A combination of the formula for water and The Simpsons
Nice! :D I wish more people would use puns in their usernames...

Groundhog
2008-01-04, 05:10 AM
The problem with puns is that not everyone gets them. That's why I didn't call myself PunxsutawneyPhyllis.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-04, 06:32 AM
He's telling the truth.

And I'm still really, REALLY sorry about that.

maybe that's why he was participating in "Colors in the playground" as black

In fact, it was one of the arguments I used in My Ultra Campagin Speech of Overwhelmingingly Undelwhelming and Mild Doom.

NotAboutBalance
2008-01-04, 10:39 AM
There's really two reasons behind my username. There are

1. In one campaign I played a character who was all about the Balance of Good and Evil. But I'm not very good at playing non-Insanely Good-Aligned characters. However, my brother played a supremely evil character. So when he told me I was being too Good-Aligned for my Neutral character, I said I was counter-balancing his character's evilness. Long story short: My username is a jab at my brother.

2. I used to only post in the Town, and my first character was a cleric who was more of a, "GOOD FOREVER!!!! SMITE ALL EVIL!!!!" kind of person than a, "The Balance must be restored! Good and Evil must be equal!" kind of person.

Oblomovism
2008-01-05, 01:20 PM
Mine is a refernce to Russian literature (uh-oh!).

There's a (relatively) classic novel by Ivan Goncharov entitled 'Oblomov' in which the main character (Oblomov) spends his time basically dreaming of the past and not doing anything useful (because he dislikes modern society so much). (It's actually a very good book despite what it may seem).

At the end when a friend is asked the reason for Oblomov's tragic life he replies 'Обломовщина' - commonly translated as 'Oblomovism'.

North
2008-01-06, 02:38 AM
I picked mine because usually on the web I live more north then anyone else. And its really cold up here. I heard once that Edmonton is about as north as Siberia or something.

Tinel
2008-01-06, 12:27 PM
I used this name for my second dnd character. :smallwink:
Tolkein's elven. I just played with words.
TIN - spark
EL - star

Shadouken
2008-01-06, 12:57 PM
Well to be honest, the origin of my name was made in a dark mysterious place where time has no meaning and where things that are lost are usualy found and then later lost again............................................. ...................................

ok it come from street fighter Hadouken and i just put a S infront of it

Omicroncubed
2008-01-06, 01:03 PM
There's a game called Timesplitters Future Perfect. I was picking out a name for my net play character. I ended up with Lambdaomega, lambda from half life and omega from Final Fantasy. I then became suddenly interested in the Greek alphabet. It became many things, like my youtube account. My friend also made a youtube account (I'm not sure why, he already had one...) and he needed a name for it. I reccomended something... So I picked up a random letter from the alphabet that wasn't used or that was less used in mathematics and put added the word cubed and it became omicroncubed.

Basically I gave him that idea, he used it, but then I found GITP and needed a username. Of course, Lambdaomega would've been first on the list, but I decided to go with Omicroncubed.

So yeah... That's the story or how it came to be.

Jalor
2008-01-07, 06:02 PM
I first used "Jalor" for an MMO called Asheron's Call. I needed a name that was easy to type, and one I liked the sound of. I used the first two letters of my real name, and added three more.

It's pronounced "juh-LORE", and nobody ever seems to get it right.

Crimmy
2008-01-07, 07:14 PM
In fact, it was one of the arguments I used in My Ultra Campagin Speech of Overwhelmingingly Undelwhelming and Mild Doom.

I always do those kind of speeches, but instead of "Mild Doom", it's "Infinite Doom"

BanjoTheClown
2008-10-08, 04:13 PM
Thread Revival! :smallbiggrin:

Yeah anyways, i got my name from OOTS if you didnt already know.

Mr. Mud
2008-10-08, 04:17 PM
Mine was originally said by my highschool football coach, after 2 a days in the rain I'd be covered in Mud, form the days hits, dives, tackles, and blocks (I'm a tailback/fullback)

Hence, Mr. Mud. :smallamused:

InksGuy
2008-10-08, 05:02 PM
Mine came from when Jibar suggested I join the forum as I was doing art for him. Cat-Muffins... I was hence his Inks Guy.

The other reason was that we were trying to put together a comic at the time. Again, I was the Inks Guy, because I did the Inks. Duh.

That never really took off, partly 'cause I have too great a workload to balance a comic with it, but mostly cause Lines Guy is a lazy bum, who said he'd draw up the lines for the comic... 6 months ago. If there's no lines, there's nothing to ink. He still hasn't done it. Lazy bum. :smallannoyed:

memnarch
2008-10-08, 06:39 PM
Name is from this guy (http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/CardDetails.aspx?&id=51054).

Favorite card of mine and I really like artifacts.

Swok
2008-10-08, 07:55 PM
Abbreviation of my name for Warcraft 3, SomewhatOkay. So chosen because of the hilarity when it's a lie.