PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Saves -- How to Expand or Improve

Max_Killjoy
2018-12-20, 10:17 AM
So, simple question I hope.

Is there a way, other than repeatedly taking the Resilient Feat, to expand which Saves a character has Proficiency with?

(I've seen the high-level Monk ability that IIRC gives Proficiency on all Saves.)

On a related note, I've seen "major" and "minor" Saves mentioned, as a 3 / 3 split of the 6. Does this just reflect how common it is for those Saves to be called on? And what's the actual split?

TIY.

nickl_2000
2018-12-20, 10:27 AM
Proficiency no, your choices are resilient (and the monk ability you mentioned). There are ways to give a bonus to saves though.

Bless Spell gives all in it +1d4 to all saves
Paladin Aura gives all PCs within it +paladin's char mod to all saves
Warlock Fiend Dark One's Blessing
Bardic Inspiration

Eärendle
2018-12-20, 11:44 AM
Seven levels of either Samurai or Gloom Stalker will grant proficiency with one mental save.

hymer
2018-12-20, 11:59 AM
I've seen "major" and "minor" Saves mentioned, as a 3 / 3 split of the 6. Does this just about how common it is for those Saves to be called on? And what's the actual split?
Here's how I see and recall it:
Con, Dex, and Wis are quite common saves. Wis often has very annoying results when failed, such as hold, fear, and charm. Con is usually a little less annoying in debuff terms, but it is also used by some damage effects, most notably poison. Dex is usually less annoying to fail (though there are some restraining effects), but it is the go-to save vs. damage spells.
For the 'minor' saves, Str gets called on about as much as the big three, but often it's a save to avoid being knocked down or shoved aside - rarely disastrous, and rarely (if ever) dealing direct damage. Int and Cha are targeted noticeably less in currently published stuff, though a failed Charisma save can be just as annoying as a failed Wis save. Int gets targeted more with psionics currently in development, but otherwise sees some use with illusions (though often as an ability check rather than a save).

Floogal
2018-12-20, 12:15 PM
Is there a way, other than repeatedly taking the Resilient Feat,
Strictly RAW, you can't take a feat more than once, unless it gives special permission (like Elemental Adept). The Resilient feat does not give permission.

Also to add to the list, Rogue 15 gives proficiency with Wisdom saving throws.

strangebloke
2018-12-20, 12:27 PM
Many Martial subclasses grant proficiency in a mental save or two.

Gloomstalker gives WIS or a different one if you already have that
Samurai is the same as Gloomstalker
Monk gives all.

Outside of proficiency though, there's a lot of ways to boost saves.

Danger sense gives advantage on saves against traps.
warcaster gives advantage on concentration-related saves
Shield Master for Dex saves (gets crazy if you have a +3 shield or better)
paladin aura gives +CHA to all saves.
bless gives +1d4 to all saves.
Gnome Cunning gives advantage on saves against magic

And there are also ways to make yourself resistant to the types of things normally associated with saves.

Immunity to fear and charm effects can be had by Beserkers. Devo paladin give immunity to fear and charm effects. Ancients gives resistance to spell damage.

hymer
2018-12-20, 12:35 PM
Gnome Cunning gives advantage on saves against magic
Aren't you thinking of Yuan-ti purebloods? Gnomes only get this advantage on the mental saves, IIRC.

Malifice
2018-12-20, 12:38 PM

Is there a way, other than repeatedly taking the Resilient Feat, to expand which Saves a character has Proficiency with?

You can only take Resilient once.

Rogues, Samurai fighters, Gloom Stalker Rangers all get proficiency in Wisdom saves (so they all wind up with 3 good saves, 4 good saves if they also take resilient).

As someone who has DMd to high levels, saves arent the issue I thought they would be. Many classes have things like indomitable, slippery mind or similar save boosts built into the class (Paladins and Monks get the best ones) plus paladin auras, the bless spell and bardic inspiration are all pretty awesome features that just keep on giving.

LudicSavant
2018-12-20, 12:43 PM

(I've seen the high-level Monk ability that IIRC gives Proficiency on all Saves.)

Yes. For example, Samurai gets Wis proficiency to saves at level 7.

Also, you can only take Resilient once.