PDA

View Full Version : Sorlock help

Imaginedragons
2018-12-20, 02:43 PM
I'm interested in building a character that uses ranged attacks with some versatility in skills or spells. Iooked at several archer types from fighter, ranger, and rogue. I've played 5e for about three months so I may not be familiar with all the options.

I am considering going with a sorcerer x/ warlock 2 or 3. Eldritch blast plus agonizing invocation would be my main damage dealer. I'd use some spells for aoe and utility. I could use sorcerer spell slots for hex to add some damage. Not sure whether hex is worth it compared to using quickened spell.

I'd prefer to not use the darkness for triple advantage. Seem to hurt fellow players more than the enemy. Would familiar or pact of the chain do the same thing when combined with eleven accuracy.

How does this compare with archer classes for dpr?

If I missed any tactics in this build please share them.

Keravath
2018-12-20, 04:11 PM
Sorlock can deliver decent single target damage. It compares well with most ranged single target damage options. In a typical round it can be outdamaged by a ranged crossbow expert/sharpshooter if they can land every attack with the sharpshooter bonus ... however, assuming the archery fighting style and maxed attack stat. The sorlock will have a +3 to hit relative to a character using sharpshooter.

However, the sorlock has the option to quicken a second eldritch blast which will typically outdamage most archer builds on the turn it is used. Combined with hex for additional damage on each hit. (This assumes that you have the agonizing blast invocation).

Keep in mind that two levels of warlock will set back your sorcerer spell progression (so at level 5 when others in the group might have 3rd level spells you will be getting second level spells - plus the warlock features).

Also note that darkness+devils sight works in many situations when you are attacking from range without affecting your party. You can stand 15' away from the party, be in darkness and receive the benefits on ranged attacks against attackers that can't see you without impacting the party in any way. This will significantly increase your chances to hit and it is worth considering. In addition, the darkness spell itself is a good counter to a number of gaze attacks so it can be worth having for that reason if no other.

P.S. Familiar help action only assists one attack so possibly only the first blast if using eldritch blast. Hide is similar. However, Eldritch blast has a duration of instantaneous ... so although each beam can be directed to different targets they are fired simultaneously .. so your DM might rule that you have advantage on all of the beams if fired against a target where your familiar was helping or from whom you were hidden.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-20, 05:43 PM
Kerevath covered a lot of good parts.

On the note regarding Darkness, there are a few things you can do with it that don't involve hindering your allies:

Place it between the enemy's front and back line. Your allies will still have something to attack, and in order for the enemy's back line to break out of the darkness, they'd have to engage in melee combat. While all of this is happening, you're attacking their back line with advantage.
Put it on an item that you throw to make it mobile.
Same as the last option, except cast it on your Imp familiar.
Worst case scenario, your blinded allies make their attacks as normal (since Attacker has Disadvantage to attack and Defender has advantage to be attacked, it balances out to be a normal attack roll).

FringeJacket
2018-12-20, 05:53 PM
Go for an archfey patron cast faerie fire and the quicken your eldritch blast

Keravath
2018-12-20, 10:08 PM
Kerevath covered a lot of good parts.

On the note regarding Darkness, there are a few things you can do with it that don't involve hindering your allies:

Place it between the enemy's front and back line. Your allies will still have something to attack, and in order for the enemy's back line to break out of the darkness, they'd have to engage in melee combat. While all of this is happening, you're attacking their back line with advantage.
Put it on an item that you throw to make it mobile.
Same as the last option, except cast it on your Imp familiar.
Worst case scenario, your blinded allies make their attacks as normal (since Attacker has Disadvantage to attack and Defender has advantage to be attacked, it balances out to be a normal attack roll).

Depending on your DM ... placing darkness between the opponents front and back line won't do much since it is effectively the same as your blinded allies scenario. You can't see them, they can't see you ... advantage and disadvantage cancel leaving a straight roll. That's how it works RAW anyway ... depending on whether the DM thinks the opposing forces can hear each other well enough to target each other.

Galithar
2018-12-21, 01:07 AM
Depending on your DM ... placing darkness between the opponents front and back line won't do much since it is effectively the same as your blinded allies scenario. You can't see them, they can't see you ... advantage and disadvantage cancel leaving a straight roll. That's how it works RAW anyway ... depending on whether the DM thinks the opposing forces can hear each other well enough to target each other.

Unless the Sorlock has Devil's Sight and then can see the enemy backline just fine.