PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Spheres of Power/Might] Bloodrager Help

EldritchWeaver
2018-12-20, 02:44 PM
I've got a player who wants to use the Sphere Bloodrager archetype with the Abyssal bloodline on a tiefling, trading out spell-like ability to get the Dark sphere and trading away general feats to get SoM combat progression, as well trading away proficiencies for a martial tradition. The plan is to use a bastard sword. The current chosen talents (for level 8):

SoM:

Equipment

Armor Training
Duelist Training
Fast Draw
Craftsman

Gladiator

Master of Fear

Duelist

Defensive Strike

SoP:

Enhancement

Energy Weapon

Destruction

Energy Blade

Alteration

Fiendish Transformation
Protean Mastery

So I've had a look and a talk with her, but aside of noticing that being a Low-Caster kinda invalidates some choices already, I'm somewhat at a loss. What talents would you recommend, given her goals (which are: must be a Tiefling, bloodrager with abyssal bloodline and uses bastard sword)?

digiman619
2018-12-20, 04:22 PM
Well, I get that she needs to be a tiefling bloodrager, but will she accept going from Full BAB to 3/4th? Because the Stormlord stacks with the Mystical Scion (which is superior to the base Sphere Bloodrager in most respects) and they will get to use class level as CL for destruction as long as it's one specific energy type.

EldritchWeaver
2018-12-20, 05:27 PM
How would you deal with the loss of BAB? And what talents would you recommend?

digiman619
2018-12-20, 07:40 PM
Actually, looking at the archetypes again, it's the Stormlord archetype (that grants an Adept combat talent progression) that reduced BAB, not Mystic Scion, so you could keep full BAB. As for talents, Alteration is fine; at 8th, all you're losing by being a low caster is duration and an additional trait to Blank Form. Destruction is full if you're only doing one energy type (might as well get energy focus as a drawback for an extra talent at that point). Enhancement's probably not worth it, though. A lot of Enhancement's effects scale on CL. I'd suggest War and picking up the Martial Magic feat to have a CL in the sphere equal to BAB, though.

EldritchWeaver
2018-12-21, 12:17 PM
Actually, looking at the archetypes again, it's the Stormlord archetype (that grants an Adept combat talent progression) that reduced BAB, not Mystic Scion, so you could keep full BAB. As for talents, Alteration is fine; at 8th, all you're losing by being a low caster is duration and an additional trait to Blank Form. Destruction is full if you're only doing one energy type (might as well get energy focus as a drawback for an extra talent at that point). Enhancement's probably not worth it, though. A lot of Enhancement's effects scale on CL. I'd suggest War and picking up the Martial Magic feat to have a CL in the sphere equal to BAB, though.

I did talk about your combined suggestions with her and she decided to take Stormlord because of the class features. This removes the requirement of taking Energy Blade and Spell Adept, as far as I can see. Alteration has the problem that many talents are intended to be used hostile or grant or enhance natural attacks, the former sucks to low saves and the latter isn't supported much by SoM because of the focus on standard actions. Enhancement I agree with you. War might be interesting, but I have to look more into the various option. There is momentum and squadron stuff, too.