PDA

View Full Version : Two-handed Eldritch Knight Rules Clarification

SteelArcana
2018-12-20, 07:18 PM
If an Eldritch Knight ends his turn holding a two-handed weapon with one hand, are they still able to cast the shield spell as a reaction or take an attack of opportunity?

Some supporting information:

1) The PHB errata says "Two-Handed (p. 147). This property is relevant only when you attack with the weapon, not when you simply hold it". This would lead me to believe that making an attack action with a two-handed weapon can cause your character to switch from a one-handed grip to a two-handed grip. It would therefor follow (at least intuitively) that the same would hold for an attack of opportunity.

2) https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/02/2-weapon-casting/ Where Jeremy Crawford seems to indicate that switching between one and two hands is considered a non-action.

I'm just trying to make sure I'm interpreting the above correctly. There always seems to be debate about what is and isn't required for spellcasting, and I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to build an Eldritch Knight without the Warcaster feat.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-20, 07:26 PM
Emphasis on #1, an attack only lasts as long as the attack itself, so you're only holding your weapon with both hands so long as you're attacking. This is to disqualify it from shenanigans with things like Bladesinger or something.

Unless there's some oddball situation like when an enemy uses their Ready action to attack you while you're attacking, there should be no event where using a two-handed weapon disqualifies you from using your Shield spell.

Tanarii
2018-12-20, 08:21 PM
EKs can hold their 2H weapon in one hand at any point except when actually attacking within. Furthermore it's seems the intent is individual attacks, not for example "Attack Action".

One reasons 2H is IMX* by far and large the most popular EK style.

*IMX is a no feat campaign. No War Caster which might have a smidgen of influence when it comes to 2H vs S&B. :smalltongue:

HappyDaze
2018-12-20, 11:34 PM
One reasons 2H is IMX* by far and large the most popular EK style. [/SIZE]
It's fairly common with quarterstaves and spears in the hands of spellcasters too.