PDA

View Full Version : Questions I Never Expected.

Laserlight
2018-12-20, 11:16 PM
"Those villagers paid us with six butchered chickens, and I want the chickens to still be fresh when we give them to the werewolves. Can we cast Gentle Repose on them?"

Callak_Remier
2018-12-20, 11:26 PM
This is the core of D&D say yes and see where it goes.

Laserlight
2018-12-21, 07:13 AM
This is the core of D&D say yes and see where it goes.

Our actual answer was "You have chicken, but you want to eat the ranger's cooking? You like charred snake and boiled okra?" It was just not a use for Gentle Repose that any of use had ever heard before.

Wilko
2018-12-21, 09:57 AM
You touch a corpse or other remains. For the Duration, the target is protected from decay and can't become Undead.

Doesn't say Humanoid corpse, so i'd say its a legit if weird way of keeping your food fresh. Although if you were feeling cheeky the material components might be a little difficult;

Components: V S M (A pinch of salt and one copper piece placed on each of the corpse’s eyes, which must remain there for the duration)

While nothing says you can't strap the coins in place, it does raise the question of if the spell can target creatures with no eyes...

Sigreid
2018-12-21, 10:01 AM
Doesn't say Humanoid corpse, so i'd say its a legit if weird way of keeping your food fresh. Although if you were feeling cheeky the material components might be a little difficult;

While nothing says you can't strap the coins in place, it does raise the question of if the spell can target creatures with no eyes...

For a society without refrigeration, this would be a miracle equal to any other.

Since there is no cost listed, just use a focus?

nickl_2000
2018-12-21, 10:02 AM
First of all, it's an awesome question and one that I never, ever would have expected.

Second of all, I don't care if it's RAW or RAI it's clever use of a spell, fun, and not in any way game breaking. Let them go nuts and run with it!

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-21, 11:05 AM
I discovered this a while back in a food thread. As a DM, I'd probably allow you to even cast it on actual food. If my buddy's charred body is good enough to target with Resurrection, then my moist honey mustard ham is a perfectly valid target.

SpanielBear
2018-12-21, 11:35 AM
I discovered this a while back in a food thread. As a DM, I'd probably allow you to even cast it on actual food. If my buddy's charred body is good enough to target with Resurrection, then my moist honey mustard ham is a perfectly valid target.

I am making an official request for a food domain cleric.

Also ham.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-21, 12:14 PM

Also ham.

Worships the other dimensional being known as Chef Gordan Ramsey?

All spellcasting and incantations require swearing indescriminately and berating the intelligence and competancy of any one on the receiving end.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-21, 12:33 PM

Also ham.

I could definitely see it as a Cleric of Hedonism.

I'd like to see it almost like this:

Level 1: Healing another ally with a level 1 or higher spell with a spell slot inflicts damage to an enemy adjacent to that ally equal to your Wisdom. You can only affect one ally per turn in this way. You also gain Prestidigitation as a Cantrip
Level 2: Incentivize allies to be reckless, by creating temporary hitpoints for allies within 30ft, and these temporary hitpoints have a "thorns" effect akin to Armor of Agathys, as the Channel Divinity. THP is equal to your Cleric Level + Wisdom Modifier. At the start of your next turn, these temporary hitpoints expire and heal the ally for half of the value that expired (rounded down).
Level 6: Identical to the Level 1 benefit, except now you heal allies by hurting enemies.
Level 8: Potent Spellcasting (Wisdom bonus damage with Cantrips)
Level 17: As a Reaction, you can force a creature making a melee attack to instead target another creature within range. You must do so before the attack roll is made, but may do so after knowing what the intended target is.

Then the spell list has spells related to food and insanity (Goodberries, Heroic Feast, Confusion, Enemies Abound, etc)

nickl_2000
2018-12-21, 12:35 PM
Worships the other dimensional being known as Chef Gordan Ramsey?

All spellcasting and incantations require swearing indescriminately and berating the intelligence and competancy of any one on the receiving end.

I feel like Chef Gordan Ramsey would make for a very good warlock patron too.

The Big Bear
2018-12-21, 01:04 PM
Now I want to make a Pastafarian Warlock...

SpanielBear
2018-12-21, 01:07 PM
Now I want to make a Pastafarian Warlock...

A gooeylock

Chaosmancer
2018-12-21, 01:24 PM
To change the subject somewhat (man, I love the cleric of Ramsey idea) the question I least expected:

"Can I make a kid?"

And to clarify, this wasn't a bird and tge bees style, the player had ascended with an overload of magic and was literally asking to make a living being DNA strand by DNA strand at a time.

She ended up with twins after devouring the soul of an infant earth primordial

Sigreid
2018-12-21, 01:27 PM

Also ham.

So, the God of hobbits, er. Halflings?

MaxWilson
2018-12-21, 06:51 PM
Doesn't say Humanoid corpse, so i'd say its a legit if weird way of keeping your food fresh.

Strictly speaking, "humanoid corpse" would be redundant, since corpse = dead human. Animals leave behind carcasses, not corpses.

Tvtyrant
2018-12-21, 07:11 PM
Strictly speaking, "humanoid corpse" would be redundant, since corpse = dead human. Animals leave behind carcasses, not corpses.

It says "corpse or other remains" so chickens are still in.

This would definitely lead to a focus on very large domestic herd animals. The size of the corpse doesn't change the spell duration, so the bigger the animal the more meat you can keep per casting. And you can re-repose a body, so you could have warehouses to re-repose the meat, or have a low level caster travel aboard the ship to keep the elephants/bison/cows fresh.

ImproperJustice
2018-12-21, 07:24 PM
So, the God of hobbits, er. Halflings?

Good Point.
I ran a Halfling Cleric of Yondolla (complete with Halflinf Domain Powers), back in 3.5.

That was a fun character. When table manners, courtesy, and proper setting of the table become a religous practice.

That was a good time.

Back on topic: Definitely salute those clever players. Food preservation very much seems like it would be in the Cleric’s Wheelhouse.
I can see an enterprising Wizard working diligently on creating a mass market box that could provide that function in every home.

Galithar
2018-12-21, 07:48 PM

Not true actually. Corpse USUALLY refers to a human, but the definition is not explicit to humans.

1 archaic : a human or animal body whether living or dead
2a : a dead body especially of a human being
b : the remains of something discarded or defunct

MaxWilson
2018-12-21, 09:11 PM
It says "corpse or other remains" so chickens are still in.

Agreed. It would be ridiculous if it *didn't* work on nonhumans in fact. Just making a point about semantics.

Aussiehams
2018-12-21, 09:18 PM
Also very handy for bringing rare monster corpses back to town to be butchered/stuffed/used for spell components. It would be a good spell to have for a taxidermist or a leather worker.