PDA

View Full Version : War caster and Command

Aussiehams
2018-12-21, 05:43 AM
G’day all.
Is Command a good use of the AoO granted by Warcaster? It seems like a pretty good use of it to lock someone down, but I’m wondering if it’s a trap and I’m missing something. BB is not an option in this case.

Cheers.

Corran
2018-12-21, 06:34 AM
G’day all.
Is Command a good use of the AoO granted by Warcaster? It seems like a pretty good use of it to lock someone down, but I’m wondering if it’s a trap and I’m missing something. BB is not an option in this case.

Cheers.
Command can be a good spell, and if it is, then getting to use it with your reaction instead of your action, well, that can be a good thing. But there is not any immediate synergy between warcaster and command, since even if the enemy fails the save, command will not take effect since that enemy's next turn, as per the spell's description. So essentially the only benefit is the one that relates to action economy (basically you got to cast command as a reaction instead of as an action). But your command ''OA'' will not matter until the enemy's next turn, so no stuff like commanding the enemy to stay put for a good cc OA.

IMO this is a silly interaction between warcaster and command, and I would rule differently, but I am pretty sure that the RAW is what I said above.

Citan
2018-12-21, 07:40 AM
G’day all.

Cheers.
Hi

Command can be a good spell, and if it is, then getting to use it with your reaction instead of your action, well, that can be a good thing. But there is not any immediate synergy between warcaster and command, since even if the enemy fails the save, command will not take effect since that enemy's next turn, as per the spell's description. So essentially the only benefit is the one that relates to action economy (basically you got to cast command as a reaction instead of as an action). But your command ''OA'' will not matter until the enemy's next turn, so no stuff like commanding the enemy to stay put for a good cc OA.

IMO this is a silly interaction between warcaster and command, and I would rule differently, but I am pretty sure that the RAW is what I said above.
+1 to everything he said (FWIW, I always rule it as taking effect immediately when used on Warcaster, if anything it can make it lesser since often the creature used up its action before trying to move away).

I'd check with your DM, if he's ok houseruling it takes effect right now it's a great spell, otherwise... It can still be but at the condition you are crafty enough to anticipate what will happen next round. Can certainly be done, but much harder. :)

MThurston
2018-12-21, 02:48 PM
You can cast a spell instead of swinging a weapon. The spell must be a single target attack.

Darkstar952
2018-12-21, 02:55 PM
You can cast a spell instead of swinging a weapon. The spell must be a single target attack.

That is close but not quite correct, The actual stipulation is that it must have a casting time of 1 action and only target that single creature. Warcaaster doesn't specify that it is an attack spell.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-12-21, 02:55 PM

"The spell must have a casting time of 1 action and target only that creature", it doesn't have to involve an attack roll.

Command functions just fine with War Caster, aside from the strange RAW interaction.

Aussiehams
2018-12-21, 03:45 PM
I must have rolled a 1 on my Int check to comprehend the "on its next turn" part. I had a feeling something was up with that combo.
Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Corran
2018-12-21, 04:13 PM
I must have rolled a 1 on my Int check to comprehend the "on its next turn" part. I had a feeling something was up with that combo.
Thanks for pointing it out for me.
You can always use hold person instead of command, to replicate a sentinel OA. Though it will very rarely be worth doing so. Because even if you are not concentrating on anything else already, it would take 2 failed saves on the enemy's part for the paralysis to stick long enough so that anyone might profit from attacking a paralyzed target. Though it would take only one save for the enemy to stay where he is and lose the rest of their turn. Personally I think the cost in resources is too high for what it accomplishes, unless maybe we are talking about some edge case scenario, where for example you do that to stop a fleeing guard from ringing the alarm bell or sth along these lines.