PDA

View Full Version : What level for overland flight spell?

Sigreid
2018-12-21, 11:59 AM
If you were to allow the creation of a long duration flight spell for travel, what level would you put it at? I'm thinking same as teleportation.

MaxWilson
2018-12-21, 12:00 PM
If you were to allow the creation of a long duration flight spell for travel, what level would you put it at? I'm thinking same as teleportation.

Yep, level 7 was my first thought. Same as Teleport. Wind Walk (which is in fact an overland flight spell) is 6th level but has some additional limitations.

nickl_2000
2018-12-21, 12:03 PM
Is this a single person or multiple people (or upcast for more people)?
Does it require concentration?
What is the flight speed?
What is the actual time?
Any restrictions on armor or weight?

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-21, 12:10 PM
For a level 7 spell, I'd probably make it some kind of Tenser's Floating Disk clone that serves as a vehicle rather than a mule.

Make it 20x20 (holds 16 people), it can carry up to 5k lbs., has a Fly speed of 100, can levitate 100 feet off of the ground. Has 20 AC, 50 HP, and is resistant to non-magical damage. Lasts 8 hours, can be cast as a ritual (Rituals currently cap at level 5). No Concentration, but it only moves from your commands while you're on it.

Call it Tenser's Portable Plane of Force. I'd say it's fairly balanced as a level 7 option, or maybe even level 6 (since it's impractical as a combat option).

Make it specific to non-combat purposes (as with Tenser's Floating Disk), and that lowers the overall power of the spell (vs. something like Fly), which gives you a little more budget when it comes to features or spell level.

Unoriginal
2018-12-21, 01:09 PM
Flight has battle applications that Teleport doesn't. With teleportation, you just travel. With long duration flight, you can have all the tactical advantages of flying in combat + travel.

So it definitively should be higher level than Teleport.

In ToA, there is a ritual that allow you to fly for several days. It's considered pretty amazing and requires hard-to-acquire ingredients. If a PC wants to replicate that, it'd be kind of a shame to make it worth nothing but a spell slot.

Sigreid
2018-12-21, 01:26 PM
For a level 7 spell, I'd probably make it some kind of Tenser's Floating Disk clone that serves as a vehicle rather than a mule.

Make it 20x20 (holds 16 people), it can carry up to 5k lbs., has a Fly speed of 100, can levitate 100 feet off of the ground. Has 20 AC, 50 HP, and is resistant to non-magical damage. Lasts 8 hours, can be cast as a ritual (Rituals currently cap at level 5). No Concentration, but it only moves from your commands while you're on it.

Call it Tenser's Portable Plane of Force. I'd say it's fairly balanced as a level 7 option, or maybe even level 6 (since it's impractical as a combat option).

Make it specific to non-combat purposes (as with Tenser's Floating Disk), and that lowers the overall power of the spell (vs. something like Fly), which gives you a little more budget when it comes to features or spell level.

This is actually pretty great.

Tvtyrant
2018-12-21, 01:40 PM

I believe in AD&D there was a spell called Cloud Chariot that basically worked like this but was made of an actual cloud, and had about 15 HP. Dies to a stiff wind but lets you bus people between locations.