PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Spell Selection for Sorlock

Ihazturtlez
2018-12-21, 12:59 PM
Hi. I am gonna be starting a campaign tonight at level 3, Shadow Sorc 2/Hexlock 1 as a half-elf. My stats will be 8 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, 8 INT, 12 WIS, and 17 CHA after racials and point-buy.

I don't play full casters much, if at all, and I know I'm gonna have a rough time picking out my spells tonight, so that's where you will come in. The obvious choice for my first cantrip would be EB, yes, but beyond that I'm not sure what to choose. I'd rather not be a EB spammer, but delaying my spell progression in the name of story is gonna hinder my choices to start.

I plan on wearing medium armor, and using my sword as needed, or if that's my best option due to the fact that arcane magic is considered wrong in my setting. Any input is appreciated.

Teaguethebean
2018-12-21, 01:11 PM
I recommend getting mostly utility cantrips like Minor illusion, mending, prestidigitation, the like and for spells I would recommend shield, sleep(swap this out for a different spell when you can get 2nd level spells), and thunder wave from the sorcerer side and perhaps hex, and armor of Agathys from the warlock side. Also on a side note do you plan on getting elven accuracy to pair with the darkness from shadow sorcerer?

Ihazturtlez
2018-12-21, 01:25 PM
I recommend getting mostly utility cantrips like Minor illusion, mending, prestidigitation, the like and for spells I would recommend shield, sleep(swap this out for a different spell when you can get 2nd level spells), and thunder wave from the sorcerer side and perhaps hex, and armor of Agathys from the warlock side. Also on a side note do you plan on getting elven accuracy to pair with the darkness from shadow sorcerer?

Would you recommend getting it for Cha +1?

Teaguethebean
2018-12-21, 01:28 PM
Not only does it grant +1 charisma but if you are hiding in the darkness you can see through because you are using the shadow sorcerer eyes of the dark. This would make your eldritch blast or your sword strikes have double advantage. This can lead to insane dps. Also with this you could pick up scorching ray if you want and do crazy damage.

Nhorianscum
2018-12-21, 01:48 PM
Sleep, hex, pick 3.

Fog cloud feather fall and something OOC would probably be my picks here.

Helldin87
2018-12-21, 02:14 PM
Hex for sure as it is a good use of your BA and you started sorcerer giving you con save prof. As a hexblade you have access to medium armor and shields so I highly recommend making sure you have scale mail and a shield equipped (13+2+2 AC for a total of 17). Select Shield as your go-to panic button.

Other good sorc options:
Disguise self and Charm person: IE how to win at RP encounters when combined with your high CHA.
Featherfall is super situational and will depend on your campaign.
As long as there is another caster (preferably with rituals) I would avoid detect magic and the like due to the poor efficiency of using slots for those utility spells.

Hellish rebuke is another good warlock choice.

Pick up shocking grasp as a "oh I ended up in in the front...oops" choice. Not that being there is too bad for you with your AC of 17 and shield spell taking it to 22 (most enemies wont be able to touch this). Since you won't be lvl 2 in warlock for agonizing blast you wont be missing out on your +3CHA damage to your EB. You could take the approach of carrying a hex-weapon rapier but that won't let you escape combat range the way shocking grasp will. Really down to personal preference.

Good luck!

Ihazturtlez
2018-12-21, 06:37 PM
Hex for sure as it is a good use of your BA and you started sorcerer giving you con save prof. As a hexblade you have access to medium armor and shields so I highly recommend making sure you have scale mail and a shield equipped (13+2+2 AC for a total of 17). Select Shield as your go-to panic button.

Other good sorc options:
Disguise self and Charm person: IE how to win at RP encounters when combined with your high CHA.
Featherfall is super situational and will depend on your campaign.
As long as there is another caster (preferably with rituals) I would avoid detect magic and the like due to the poor efficiency of using slots for those utility spells.

Hellish rebuke is another good warlock choice.

Pick up shocking grasp as a "oh I ended up in in the front...oops" choice. Not that being there is too bad for you with your AC of 17 and shield spell taking it to 22 (most enemies wont be able to touch this). Since you won't be lvl 2 in warlock for agonizing blast you wont be missing out on your +3CHA damage to your EB. You could take the approach of carrying a hex-weapon rapier but that won't let you escape combat range the way shocking grasp will. Really down to personal preference.

Good luck!

On top of these, what invocations should I be picking up?

lunaticfringe
2018-12-21, 06:55 PM
If arcane magic is badwrong in the setting Mask of Many Faces seems like a no brainer. Disguise Self as someone else when you are planning on casting in public.

Teaguethebean
2018-12-22, 12:53 AM
For invocations thirsting blade is great if your going into melee

Cwyll
2018-12-22, 02:35 PM
there's a few guides out there as this is a common multiclass
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?596310-GUIDE-The-Sorlock-%96-Guide-to-the-tormented-divine-soul-with-Xanathar-s-Divine-Soul(17)-Hexblade(3)
and others...

Make sure it's allowed at the planned game as I've seen it get banned a few times, and also seen several players turn up all wanting to play it at the same time.

Teaguethebean
2018-12-22, 02:46 PM
there's a few guides out there as this is a common multiclass
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?596310-GUIDE-The-Sorlock-%96-Guide-to-the-tormented-divine-soul-with-Xanathar-s-Divine-Soul(17)-Hexblade(3)
and others...

The main problem with this guide is it is for a divine soul sorcerer and op is playing a shadow sorcerer so he doesn't need devils sight and he can't rely on cleric spells

djreynolds
2018-12-22, 03:08 PM
Hi. I am gonna be starting a campaign tonight at level 3, Shadow Sorc 2/Hexlock 1 as a half-elf. My stats will be 8 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, 8 INT, 12 WIS, and 17 CHA after racials and point-buy.

I don't play full casters much, if at all, and I know I'm gonna have a rough time picking out my spells tonight, so that's where you will come in. The obvious choice for my first cantrip would be EB, yes, but beyond that I'm not sure what to choose. I'd rather not be a EB spammer, but delaying my spell progression in the name of story is gonna hinder my choices to start.

I plan on wearing medium armor, and using my sword as needed, or if that's my best option due to the fact that arcane magic is considered wrong in my setting. Any input is appreciated.

Who else is in your party? Any other casters, they should be able to cover down on the essentials... identify, detect,

If you are the only caster, stuff like fog cloud and hold person and even feather fall and detect magic, etc... are really important

But if you have someone else, you can narrow down your selection.

I like something for attack, not cantrips like EB or firebolt, I like chromatic orb and sorcerer, when needed it can be upcasted and twinned

For movement, nothing beats misty step.

For crown control, sleep is very good

Now for single enemy control, hold person, but warlocks (great old one, sadly no sorcerer) can get Tasha hideous laughter this is actually better than one thinks as size does not matter. Unsure if you could twin this, but since you are multiclassing, it should be fine.... you can take out 2 giants out of combat until you are ready to deal with them. I did this in SKT, a few times just as a wizard, and the party was able to kill of one giant and then turn their attention to giant rolling around and laughing.

For defense, shield of course. But you know what mage armor can be used by others... not you but at 3rd level mage armor on a rogue is better than his leather armor by far

For exploration, spider climb on anyone, invisibility on anyone, or even levitate

For causing trouble, alter self is very good

Who is in your party, should help narrow down your selection