PDA

View Full Version : Should Elven Guard Give Tickets In Modern City

EeksGames
2018-12-21, 01:34 PM
Hey,

I'm working on an elven city in Other Realms. Uel is a modern city with cobbled roads and ornate buildings crafted of blue mythril from Helmhold. There are certain offenses that will get players arrested like casting dark magic, or wielding fire spells. Weapons imbued with dark magic and fire are also infractions. When I got to wearing dark armor I made it a ticketable offense. What do you guys think of that?

Here's a slightly unpolished synopsis.

Uel is a great elven city in the depths of Guardwood. Grand architecture forged from Helmhold’s blue mythril rises up from the forest floor. Towers arise from the fanciest buildings, making homes of wealth appear as beautiful palaces. Light greyish-white stones pave streets found in the heart of the elven bustle. Uel holds a modern air, while allowing wild ivy to claim the walls it pleases.

The Bulkan runs through Guardwood; passing Ghillana Ramp, where it cascades off a 120 foot ledge. A natural grotto was found under the falls and fashioned into a local garden. Elven families enjoy the emerald green waters at leisure. A walking trail with benches and gardens was created along the bank of the river. The serene walk offers fresh air, a view of the river, and a glimpse of the distant bank as it rises up over a large hill into the forest.

Ewyn's Trail passes through the forest at the western edge of the city. The opening is marked by imperial rose bushes. Farther in the trail great oaks grow between patches of redwood, pine, and maple. Green elfbush flourishes along the banks; small purple flowers grow on grassy areas around them. Red and white trillium grow where areas are spacious. Redwood bridges cross over trickling streams. Rocky riverbeds lay below, where tiny fish lay their eggs and nest. Frogs can be seen hopping out of the bushes. An occasional croak will cause a splatter were frightened fish move.

Elves hold honor in high esteem and seek to defend Guardwood, even sacrificing their own lives. Dark magics are outlawed because of its evil nature and anyone caught wielding fire magics will be arrested and tried. Elven Guard will arrest anyone caught wielding weapons imbued with dark magic or fire. Wearing evil aligned armor is a ticketable offence.

gkathellar
2018-12-21, 01:46 PM
I think it's fine from a worldbuilding perspective - it establishes that this is a well-organized city with an effective government and functioning law-enforcement - but you should think about what you're trying to accomplish with it in-game. If it's just a way to tell your players, "don't wear this," or to chip away at their finances, then I'd advise against it. On the other hand, if want to push them into using unconventional tactics or eschew certain advantages for a few sessions, that's reasonable, but you'll want to be careful to observe how they actually react and adjust to suit. It could also serve a narrative role, creating antagonistic relationships between the PCs and local law enforcement that you can leverage for drama.

Incidentally, many RL medieval cities and towns forbade civilians from wearing any armor, regarding it as a sign that one was looking for trouble. The wealthy would sometimes get around these laws by wearing extremely fine chain that they could hide under their clothes.

EeksGames
2018-12-21, 02:00 PM
That's an interesting bit on real medieval cities. I suppose that works better for the royals than most RP. Might be interesting to consider from some location though, thanks for the inspiration. I wouldn't say the elves forbid dark armor simply to ticket for money. That would be more of a human thing, over lawing, and ticketing for funds. They would do it out of their distrust for evil. Of course some elves would hide their love for evil. It doesn't sit well with you as a player? Would you still play a game where you couldn't enjoy dark armors in the elven city?

Friv
2018-12-21, 02:31 PM
What is dark armour in this context? Colouration? A type of magic specific to your campaign setting?

Either way, if this city is well-organized there should be easy access to local laws as the PCs enter, so that the guards don't just try to surprise-ticket them.

EeksGames
2018-12-21, 02:36 PM
Dark is evil in this context. I will change dark to evil to give a more solid tone and better readability. That's a good idea, to supply law. I suppose every city hall and town center could post local laws. Thanks for the tip. Appreciated input.

gkathellar
2018-12-21, 03:23 PM
What is dark armour in this context? Colouration? A type of magic specific to your campaign setting?

Either way, if this city is well-organized there should be easy access to local laws as the PCs enter, so that the guards don't just try to surprise-ticket them.

Speaking to this, in the example I gave above of medieval cities, there was usually a compliance period. City officials didn’t expect someone wearing armor on the road to strip down right at the gates, just to be out of kit once they found their lodgings. In that vein, guards would probably advise travelers - especially foreign visitors - of local regulations they’d be unfamiliar with, if only briefly.