PDA

View Full Version : New player, new party, need support role

TraitorMuppet
2018-12-21, 03:49 PM
Hello all,

Longtime listener, first time caller, yadda yadda yadda.

My group of 4 will be forming in January and I’m in need of the brilliance this group can provide in terms of class selection.

Givens:
1–standard array
2–level 1
3–party sounds like Paladin (no idea which oath), Fighter (no idea which archetype), and Moon Druid, and me.
4–DM “hates wizards in the party.”
5–any WotC book

My thoughts have been support. Lore bard, cleric. Something like that.

I have in mind a Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X. But I have reread XGtE and I like the Shepard Druid.

Life Cleric gives me heavy armor in this martial heavy group. Bard is *the* support class. Party Face.

Shepard Druid gives me healing and eventually a whole bunch of summons with my spirit totem to help in combat.

Would a Shepard Druid step on the Moon Druid’s toes? Pally can be the face, I assume if I don’t roll Bard.

Lemme know what y’all suggest. Thanks in advance, and much appreciated.

Aett_Thorn
2018-12-21, 04:11 PM
First off, why does the DM hate wizards? That won’t affect what I say next, i’m just curious.

I would say go either:

1) straight Bard, either Lore or Glamour. Your party is also lacking a skill monkey type character as well as support, and Bards can fill both gaps. Also, you won’t be competing for any magical heavy armor that the Fighter and Paladin may want.

2) Cleric, which will give you a lot of different support options, especially given the right Domain choice. For true support and utility, I kind of like Trickery, even if it’s far from optimal. For being able to support and do some damage, Light clerics can be wonderful. Grave Domain is another good choice, given your party makeup.

Particle_Man
2018-12-21, 04:25 PM
An out there option could be wolf totem barbarian. Making the other warriors more likely to hit is a nice form of support. Especially since the others are or can be melee monsters. Also, your DM won’t hate your character!

DrowPiratRobrts
2018-12-21, 04:35 PM
I want to say Wizard because it's so good at non-healing support...but since you probably don't want your DM to come after you I'd go with one of the Bards. Just whichever you prefer. But I'd personally rather have a Bard than a Cleric in my party most of the time. That's more preference than any concrete reason. Mostly I just find Clerics bland, but if you want to play one and think you'll enjoy it then definitely give it a shot! Best of luck. Don't get TPKed at level 1!

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-21, 04:59 PM
With a Paladin and a Moon Druid, your team already has two half-healers. There's no need for you to be a full healer at the same time. If you do want to lean heavily on the support, don't expect to have to heal very much.

Additionally, your team is pretty damage heavy, and they all orient towards melee combat. There's a few things I'd recommend with this kind of loadout:

Bard: Glamour. The movement is incredibly valuable on melee combatants, and Charisma will likely not be very high on your Paladin, so you'll definitely dominate as the team's face.
Bard: Lore. Your team has a lack for skills, and the Lore Bard has plenty! If your DM hates Wizards, he'll learn to hate you more. Good in small teams that lack a skill monkey or dedicated caster.
Cleric: Knowledge. Especially with your team's lack of skills, this is a solid option if you don't trust your teammates to heal well enough.
Cleric: Arcane. With an emphasis on arcane utility, you'll have all the nifty out-of-combat benefits of being a Wizard without being one. Grab Ritual Caster and be a Wizard in every way but name!
Druid: Land. With Arctic, you can easily dominate the battlefield however you please. With Swamp, you can pull out some magic damage that's limited on your team.

GorogIrongut
2018-12-21, 06:10 PM
I see one of three possible choices being the best:
-Go straight hexblade to start off with. Multi class a little bit later into either a Swashbuckler or Shadow Sorceror.
-Go straight Arcane Trickster. There's no need to multi class.
-Bard is your friend... It can be improved by adding a few levels in Celestial Warlock (instead of Life Cleric). If going this route, I would try and talk your DM into letting you use a Satire Bard (UA). I like the added functionality and RP possibilities.

sophontteks
2018-12-21, 06:24 PM
The shepherd druid would step on the moon druid's toes. The shepherd doesn't come online until 5, but when it does the moon druid will struggle to get any spotlight.

I like glamour/lore/valor bard idea. I think glam is the most fun of the three with some of the most unique abilities in the game.

Sorcerers with twinned spell, espesially shadow and divine sorcerers, are also among the best supports in the game. Twin haste, enlarge/reduce, polymorph, and greater invisibility. You won't have a ton of options, but when your options are this strong you really don't need any. Enlarge your melee fighters and give them the power to grapple dragons.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-21, 06:24 PM
Around Level 5 your entire party will be amazed what your Lore Bard can do skill wise and casting.

Clerics can be under rated. They get a few really good damage spells and have full knowledge of their spell list if I recall.

One party I am in just has a Lore Bard for healing. That is not really ideal, I'm the Bard and am pressured to use Healing Word beyond its intentions. Your party will have a Paladin and a Lore Bard or Cleric. That's better.

I don't think there is a bad choice. Read the Players Handbook and see if Bard or Cleric appeals to you more. FWIW, my wood elf Bard played like a ranger with more magic the first few levels. Around 6 we actually met a God, Pelor, and now the Bard has SOME religion for fluff purposes.

TraitorMuppet
2018-12-21, 06:38 PM
Thanks, folks.

My DM’s stated reason for hating wizards is something along the lines of it breaks immersion by having the wizard constantly ask for spells.

I countered with “well, during downtime you could let me just ‘find’ them.” Or he could just post hoc reason how I found the spells I want. I don’t understand his logic either.

I forgot to mention. DM is giving us a free feat at level 1, provided we aren’t already Variant human. I was thinking HElf or a Tome of Foes Variant Tiefling and picking up magic initiate Warlock for cantrips and some boom.

Aett_Thorn
2018-12-21, 06:40 PM
Sorcerers with twinned spell, espesially shadow and divine sorcerers, are also among the best supports in the game. Twin haste, enlarge/reduce, polymorph, and greater invisibility. You won't have a ton of options, but when your options are this strong you really don't need any. Enlarge your melee fighters and give them the power to grapple dragons.

I was just coming back to suggest a Sorcerer, especially a Divine Soul. They make great support characters, and great buffers, while still being able to dish out some good damage with a couple of blasty spells. You’ll be spread a bit thin with few spells known, but if you plan ahead you’ll be fine.

OracularPoet
2018-12-22, 01:10 AM
Half Elf Order Cleric 1 / Glamour Bard X. Maybe pick up a level of Sorc after Bard 6 if you feel you need some extra defense (Shield + Absorb Elements). Pick up thieves’ tools from background and Inspiring Leader for DM granted feat. Your party will love you.

opaopajr
2018-12-22, 06:11 AM
PDK Fighter with Inspiring Leader feat! Take all the Short Rests! Later, take Healer feat at 4th lvl!

You get to be the face, healer, & beat down. :smalltongue: Then you should say to your allies, "Without you I am nothing," "I only share because I care," and "Who wants to do another team building exercise! (short rest)" :smallbiggrin:

Biggstick
2018-12-22, 10:30 AM
Definitely Bard. I'd also advise being a Bard with proficiency in Thieves Tools, as you'll most likely end up being the person that acts as the one who deals with traps. With that in mind, build the character around standard support spells, face abilities, and acting as a pseudo-Rogue (you and the Druid should do well in working together to stealth into places).

Don't multiclass, as staying focused on light armor will make you someone that doesn't compete with the Druid/Fighter/Paladin on armor.

I'm personally a huge fan of Glamour Bard, but really any Bard would do well here that focuses on Face skills, Rogue skills (Perception/Investigation/Thieves Tools), and ranged support spells (Faerie Fire/Healing Word/Hypnotic Pattern).

Naanomi
2018-12-22, 10:36 AM
Human (or Half Elf) Celestial tomelock Urchin

Healing, reliable combat option, Ritual casting (without the wizard), short rest dependant, thieves’ Tools... Prodigy can get you expertise in Persuasion to fully face...

GorogIrongut
2018-12-22, 11:11 AM
Definitely Bard. I'd also advise being a Bard with proficiency in Thieves Tools, as you'll most likely end up being the person that acts as the one who deals with traps. With that in mind, build the character around standard support spells, face abilities, and acting as a pseudo-Rogue (you and the Druid should do well in working together to stealth into places).

I'm personally a huge fan of Glamour Bard, but really any Bard would do well here that focuses on Face skills, Rogue skills (Perception/Investigation/Thieves Tools), and ranged support spells (Faerie Fire/Healing Word/Hypnotic Pattern).

This is why I suggested talking to the DM about going a Satire Bard. In the first 3 levels alone you get all the Bard stuff and:
Bonus Proficiencies
When you join the College of Satire at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with thieves’ tools. You also gain proficiency in Sleight of Hand and one additional skill of your choice. If you are already proficient with thieves’ tools or in Sleight of Hand, choose another skill proficiency for each proficiency you already have.

Tumbling Fool
At 3rd level, you master a variety of acrobatic techniques that allow you to evade danger. As a bonus action, you can tumble. When you tumble, you gain the following benefits for the rest of your turn:
• You gain the benefits of taking the Dash and Disengage actions.
• You gain a climbing speed equal to your current speed.
• You take half damage from falling.

Nhorianscum
2018-12-22, 11:40 AM
Hello all,

Longtime listener, first time caller, yadda yadda yadda.

My group of 4 will be forming in January and I’m in need of the brilliance this group can provide in terms of class selection.

Givens:
1–standard array
2–level 1
3–party sounds like Paladin (no idea which oath), Fighter (no idea which archetype), and Moon Druid, and me.
5–any WotC book

I have in mind a Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X. But I have reread XGtE and I like the Shepard Druid.

Life Cleric gives me heavy armor in this martial heavy group. Bard is *the* support class. Party Face.

Shepard Druid gives me healing and eventually a whole bunch of summons with my spirit totem to help in combat.

Would a Shepard Druid step on the Moon Druid’s toes? Pally can be the face, I assume if I don’t roll Bard.

Lemme know what y’all suggest. Thanks in advance, and much appreciated.

We do want good defenses here and the party lacks a skill monkey/counterspell.

Bard with a way to get defenses would be solid here.

2 druids is fine. Just take different directions and play w/o Cspell. A theify Sheaperd druid sounds like a blast to play.

But can I reccomend a Conjuration wizard with the criminal background and prodigy at first level who simply choses to not ask for spells? (Talk with GM obv) As a way to do all the things you want to do?

ImproperJustice
2018-12-23, 01:19 AM
He could give wizarda full access to their entire spell list just like Clerics and Druids, and never have to stress again.....

Does it bother him when the fighters ask for magic weapons?

Lonely Tylenol
2018-12-23, 03:28 AM
If non-standard (Unearthed Arcana) feats are allowed, and you’re getting a free one at level 1 anyway, I like a Mastermind Rogue 3 with the Historian feat. Comes fully online at level 3, where you get the ability from Mastermind to use the Help action as a bonus action, and can Help friends attack enemies within 30 feet. Now, you’re able to Help two people in 1 round, and if they’re attacking, you have a lot more freedom with how you want to Help your allies; and if they’re making ability checks, you can (with a successful ability check of your own) grant your proficiency bonus as well as advantage. It turns the Help action best, most versatile at-will support ability in the game.

After that, IDK, get Lore Bard 5. Stack Charisma. I like Half-Elf for the combination of skills and ability boosts (you want +2 Charisma, plus Dexterity and Constitution, but also at least enough Intelligence to help your odds of success on History checks with 2x proficiency). This combination gets you, by level 8, the above Help abilities, plus Bardic Inspiration (and Cutting Words) with short-rest recovery, plus proficiency in 12 skills (and double your proficiency in 5, one of which should be History). You are a great skill user, but you also confer advantage (and sometimes, your proficiency) to all your friends economically. Oh, and third-level spells, which are no pushover.

Level 9 gives you a +4 proficiency, plus an ABI from Rogue If you want it, and at this point you should have 20 Charisma if that’s your aim, to maximize your Bardic Inspiration uses. At this point, only adding Bless and Guidance (which you could do with a Cleric dip, though that’s incredibly MAD, or the Magic Initiate feat, or magical secrets, though that’s a bit of a waste) could possibly make you a better dice manipulator for your allies.

Keravath
2018-12-23, 11:16 AM
I'd second the lore bard suggestions .. since you can then fill both the skills and social interaction roles as needed as well as support caster in combat. In addition, you can take fireball at 6th level as a magical secret so that you have a decent AoE damage spell. Counterspell is another good choice.

Your moon druid can provide guidance out of combat as well as some of the healing support like lesser and greater restoration depending on how they play the druid. You might need to pick up some of the higher level healing spells to fill in the gaps.

Good dips for a bard can be cleric 1 for additional cantrips, spells and heavy armor ... or possibly hexblade warlock 2 for eldritch+agonizing blast, medium armor+shield+martial weapon proficiency, 2 short rest spell slots, hexblades curse, shield and hex spells, some extra cantrips. Starting as a variant human and level 1 as a warlock lets you take resilient con and start with proficiency in con, wis and cha saves. Agonizing+eldritch blast will give you a scaling attack that makes a good fallback throughout the character career but at the expense of delaying your higher level spells. (on the other hand, if the DM has something against wizards it is probably their higher level spells so slowing down yours might not be a bad thing for your campaign).

Toofey
2018-12-23, 01:49 PM
Unless you already know the game I would actually recommend against playing a support class, and would opt for a tank.

edit: Also if the DM "hates wizards in the party" you might.... um... not find being super effective to be fun.

SVamp
2018-12-23, 03:15 PM
I’d like to suggest half-elf Gloom Stalker 5 / rogue rest, archer fighting style, whether rogue is arcane trickster or assassin is up to you.

Healing spirit should handle out of combat healing and it’s in the same book as gloom stalker. You become super stealthy, deadly, and can provide quite a bit of utility, specially as an arcane trickster. But even as an assassin your ranger spells are plenty useful.

First level feat eleven accuracy for 3x advantage when you shoot while hiding, sharpshooter at lvl 4: you get 3 ‘shots’ during your first round at lvl 5, every time. (Four if you cheese it with crossbow expert and a hand crossbow but this could piss off the DM lol). With 3x advantage and archery style you are going to hit, even with sharpshooter’s -5 penalty.

Greywander
2018-12-23, 04:59 PM
Givens:
1–standard array
2–level 1
5–any WotC book

Let me start by saying that any character would be fine. 5e is really easy like that. A party of five Champion fighters can have a grand olde tyme, as 5e lets them diversify in many different ways outside of class and subclass. So really, play what you want to play, maybe work with the other players to see if you can intertwine your backstories (which may give you ideas of what sort of character you want to play).

That said, you came here for real advice about how to optimize best for the party in question. Other people here have pointed out a few issues with the party composition you've listed, but I'll restate them here for reference:
No skill monkey
All melee (unless the fighter goes DEX)
Plenty of healing
No arcane support (the druid list offers a nice mix of spells, though)

With this in mind, the ideal character would be a ranged skill monkey with arcane casting. Ritual Caster (wizard) can fill out a lot of the arcane casting needs, Skilled can get you more skills (if you really need them), and every class is proficient in light crossbows if you want a ranged option, or Magic Initiate can be used to grab a ranged cantrip if you're less physically oriented. So really, feats can cover most of these areas, but here's a few good class options:

Lore bard - Great support character with plenty of skills. You can use Magical Secrets to grab a few wizard spells (teleportation spells, Fireball, anything you or the druid can't already cover). Vicious Mockery is your main attack, when you're not using your action for something else.

Arcane Trickster rogue - Excellent skill monkey, high damage, and arcane casting. You can pick up Booming Blade for melee, but I'd always carry a crossbow for ranged situations.

Knowledge cleric - Another great support class, amplified with extra skills. Don't think of clerics as healers, that's only one small role they play. Sadly no arcane casting, but you can still get Ritual Caster. Sacred Flame is you go-to attack, again, when you're not using your action for something more important.

Divine Soul sorcerer - No extra skills, but you get full arcane casting and cleric casting. Spells Known is a pain, though, so choose carefully. I like Chill Touch as a primary attack cantrip, as it has a nice range, good damage type, and can be a life saver against enemies with healing or regeneration.

But again, any option can be made to work with the right selection of background, feats, skills, etc.

Contrast
2018-12-23, 05:11 PM
First level feat eleven accuracy for 3x advantage when you shoot while hiding, sharpshooter at lvl 4: you get 3 ‘shots’ during your first round at lvl 5, every time. (Four if you cheese it with crossbow expert and a hand crossbow but this could piss off the DM lol). With 3x advantage and archery style you are going to hit, even with sharpshooter’s -5 penalty.

Just to note after the first shot you wouldn't be hidden anymore and would no longer be attacking with advantage.

SVamp
2018-12-23, 06:53 PM
Just to note after the first shot you wouldn't be hidden anymore and would no longer be attacking with advantage.

At 3rd level, you gain darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

“You are also adept at evading creatures that rely on darkvision. While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.”

“An invisible creature is impossible to see without the aid of magic or a special sense. For the purposes of hiding, the creature is heavily obscured. The creature's location can be detected by any noise it makes or any tracks it leaves.
Attack rolls against the creature have disadvantage, and the creature's attack rolls have advantage.”

Unless I’m misinterpreting something, pretty sure you remain with advantage in obscured areas?

Keravath
2018-12-24, 01:36 PM
At 3rd level, you gain darkvision out to a range of 60 feet. If you already have darkvision from your race, its range increases by 30 feet.

“You are also adept at evading creatures that rely on darkvision. While in darkness, you are invisible to any creature that relies on darkvision to see you in that darkness.”

“An invisible creature is impossible to see without the aid of magic or a special sense. For the purposes of hiding, the creature is heavily obscured. The creature's location can be detected by any noise it makes or any tracks it leaves.
Attack rolls against the creature have disadvantage, and the creature's attack rolls have advantage.”

Unless I’m misinterpreting something, pretty sure you remain with advantage in obscured areas?

This does apply if you can set it up so that:

1) You fight in complete darkness
2) You are facing foes that rely on darkvision to see you

In that case, you will have advantage. However, if your party is carrying light sources, or if the conditions are dim light or lit, or if the creature is using blindsight or devil's sight or something else then it won't apply. Situationally, it can be extremely useful. It is equivalent to greater invisibility since you won't lose the invisible status when you attack thus you will have advantage.

However, you would probably want wood-elf as opposed to half elf. Half elf only has +1 dex while a wood elf or high elf gets +2, can start at 17 and elven accuracy would take them to 18. It is less attractive on a half elf unless the build uses cha as the attack stat.

Languid_Duck
2018-12-24, 03:16 PM
Between a Paladin and a Druid, your group seems fine in the support department. Your party can use a sneaky type and possibly a smart type, unless anyone is likely to play against type. A Rogue would do wonders, probably Arcane Trickster which ticks both boxes and also brings arcane magic to the party, which already has divine and primal.

SVamp
2018-12-24, 03:56 PM
This does apply if you can set it up so that:

1) You fight in complete darkness
2) You are facing foes that rely on darkvision to see you

In that case, you will have advantage. However, if your party is carrying light sources, or if the conditions are dim light or lit, or if the creature is using blindsight or devil's sight or something else then it won't apply. Situationally, it can be extremely useful. It is equivalent to greater invisibility since you won't lose the invisible status when you attack thus you will have advantage.

However, you would probably want wood-elf as opposed to half elf. Half elf only has +1 dex while a wood elf or high elf gets +2, can start at 17 and elven accuracy would take them to 18. It is less attractive on a half elf unless the build uses cha as the attack stat.

I agree on the wood elf, and that’s very much true but I thought all the extra half elf skills and cha might add the utility he wants. I mean it’s not like you need a 16 cha. A 12 (10+2) is serviceable, or a 12+2. As for torches, once you have sharp shooter, at lvl 4, staying back far enough shouldn’t be that much of an issue I think .

Using standard array that’s : 8 16 (+1) 14 10 14 14 which is pretty decent for social skills and wisdom boost to initiative, as well as saves. Of course the wood elf is better though 10 17(+1) 14 10 14 12.

You Lose the extra skills and extra cha but gain 5 foot movement and start with 18 dex which is pretty damn nice. As long as you don’t want cha skills this is obviously a much better choice. (I didn’t realize I by accident let my own preferences influence my recommendation, I love having diplomacy, deception and insight skills on pretty much any character I make even if the party has a bard. At the very least you can try two insight checks, and sometimes you can try multiple approaches in case one fails)

Contrast
2018-12-24, 07:42 PM

Well if you'd said 'when you shoot from darkness' rather than 'when you shoot from hiding' I wouldn't have sought to correct you :smallbiggrin:

But yeah I agree with Keravath. It's really great when it works but I speak from personal experience of running a gloom stalker/rogue, terrain, allies and nature of the adventure conspired such that these circumstances occurred reasonably infrequently.

Nidgit
2018-12-24, 09:22 PM
Tomelock, any patron. Premier ritual casting, good skill monkey abilities, Party Face, and general blasting. Promotes short rest synergy.

Bard, preferably Lore. Fantastic skill and Face abilities, continued support, some blasting abilities and some short rest functionality.

Arcane Trickster. Excellent skill monkey, good Face, solid Int work and versatility.

Sorcerer, any Origin. Premier blasting, potentially good support, good Face.

That's probably the order I'd pick in. For Warlock, Celestial obviously gives a certain ranged healing and might be worth it, but your party is probably okay without it. Hexblade is nice durability, Archfiend offers better blasting, and Archfey is better at charming and evasion. GOO is okay but not quite versatile enough to help your unbalanced party.

stoutstien
2018-12-25, 01:55 PM
Did your dm ban wizards flat out?

Strangways
2018-12-26, 11:39 AM
An arcane caster would be very useful for that party. If your DM hates wizards because they’re always looking for spells to add to their spell book, you could play a sorcerer instead. A warlock works too, assuming you’re not going Pact of the Tome / Book of Ancient Secrets where you do end up with one of those hated spell books.

guachi
2018-12-26, 12:24 PM
I'll second Wolf Totem Barbarian.

If you have a melee heavy party, the advantage to your allies is wonderful. The Paladin and Fighter could take GWM at level one and wreck face almost right from the start.

Dankus Memakus
2018-12-26, 08:52 PM
Okay heres my two cents, looking at your party I really dont think you need a support caster. The druid and the paladin are gonna be able to do it really well on their own. Also if the fighter picks battlemaster there is some support in there too. HOWEVER, if you wanna play a support because you think its fun, go for it. I would personally choose hill dwarf life cleric. Sure you may burn lots of spell slots on heals but grab spiritual weapon and inflict wounds or guiding bolt and your gonna be solid at inflicting and relieving pain. I have seen life clerics do amazing things at my table. Plus, they get heavy armor and your party is definitly gonna be in melee. Although, just as a note, i love playing healbots but it can become boring/annoying for some people.

Aaron Underhand
2018-12-26, 09:34 PM
I'm currently playing a vhuman lore bard with the healer feat and a one level dip into wizard.

Gien what you've said about setup and DM preference, I would go knowledge cleric 1/lore bard x as half elf with either the healer or inspiring leader feat.

You'll need Dex 14, con 14, Wis 13 and Cha 16. Either 9 str, 12 int or 11 str, 10 int. Remember you'll be in medium armour, so carrying capacity can be a limit.

Resilient Con or observant are other feat options if you want 14 in all three secondary stats.

TheAxeman
2018-12-27, 05:38 PM
Did your dm ban wizards flat out?
Yeah, I also have this question, limiting books is reasonable but saying you can't use a class because they don't like it doesn't sit well with me at all.

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-27, 05:45 PM
Let's give him a chance to respond, guys. This is post #36. He's posted twice. And one of those was the OP.

Tanarii
2018-12-27, 08:37 PM
Yeah, I also have this question, limiting books is reasonable but saying you can't use a class because they don't like it doesn't sit well with me at all.Assuming it's not just a bunch of buddies who elected a DM and are collaboratively building a campaign (which it may be given the OP), it's reasonable for a DM to set whatever character creation rules they like when setting up their own campaign. Players can choose not to play in that campaign if they don't like it.

Personally, I generally have no problems with DMs creating their own campaign that choose to ban specific classes, races, or anything else in advance of the campaign beginning. For whatever reason. I'll happily play something else.

Now if they were telling me my only option is a Human Fighter Soldier I might find it too much. :smallamused:

Lonely Tylenol
2018-12-27, 09:03 PM
Assuming it's not just a bunch of buddies who elected a DM and are collaboratively building a campaign (which it may be given the OP), it's reasonable for a DM to set whatever character creation rules they like when setting up their own campaign. Players can choose not to play in that campaign if they don't like it.

Agreed. I tend not to be a very restrictive DM, but I told my players for this most recent campaign I’m running that the gods have severed their connection to mortals in this world, so maybe don’t pick Cleric. Or spells which rely on divine contact or intervention to work, like Divination, or Commune. I feel like it’s not unduly restrictive to most players (and I’m willing to work with those who may have been so inclined to pick those options to find something similar that works), but it’s really important for setting the tone and feel for the world that I’m angling for. If my vision for the world and a player’s vision for their character can’t possibly align, I’ll help them find another group, but it just won’t happen in mine.

Tanarii
2018-12-27, 10:18 PM
If my vision for the world and a player’s vision for their character can’t possibly align, I’ll help them find another group, but it just won’t happen in mine.
Mighty neighborly of you.

Or as I often had to put it when I first started my campaign several years back, "If you want Multiclassing or Feats, there's an Adevntures League table right over there." *points*

TraitorMuppet
2018-12-29, 07:39 PM
Sorry for the late reply.

My DM hasn’t “banned” wizards flat out, but he leaves me no amount of confidence that I’ll reliably find rituals and things to fill my spell book with. Ritual caster is out (because that was my workaround the wizard mess).

I have no idea how to respond to multiple folks, so I apologize.

I want to play a caster because I’ve never sat down and actually played one. And having so many martials made sense to me.

I’ve also found out that I addition to the Moon Druid, the pally is Vengeance. We need a real face that’s not pure intimidation. Lol. Maybe in the next campaign.

I very much appreciate the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Vorpalchicken
2018-12-29, 08:00 PM
If the wizard asks every merchant if they have a sale on Agnazaar's scorcher, that could be annoying. But claiming the book of a defeated wizard or just seeking spell books in general, come what may, possibly may not bother him.
But if it does then I would ask in session zero for a compromise. Maybe three learned spells per level instead of two- just representing general study of all recovered books in lieu of benefiting from the standard feature.

Edit. Sounds like you definitely need a bard though.