PDA

View Full Version : DM Help rework of some weapon rules, feats, and fighting style. could use a proof read.

stoutstien
2018-12-21, 05:19 PM
i've been working on a rework of a few parts of the game to make iconic fighting methods to work with/without feats and fighting styles.

Martial classes/ Fighting style/ feat rework

Powerful strike- while fighting you can trade accuracy for power. Before you take the attack action while wielding a two-handed weapon or a versatile weapon in two hands that you are proficient with, you can reduce your attack roll by an amount equal to your proficiency bonus. if the attack hits you add twice your proficiency bonus to the damage.

Notes: you may note it works for all ranged weapons also besides darts, blowguns, slings and hand crossbows which was intentional. The -2hit/+4 damage at first lv to -6 hit/+12 damage at 17th level is a much softer curve and moving it to basic combat rules reduce “feat tax” for martial classes.

Two weapon fighting- When you take the attack action and attack with a light weapon that you are holding on one hand, you can use your reaction to attack with a different light melee weapon that you are holding in the other hand. You do not add your ability modifier to the damage of the reaction off hand attack, unless that modifier is negative. If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon instead of making a melee attack with it. You can only make this extra attack once per round.

You can draw/ stow two weapons at a time.

If you gain the extra attack class feature, the two-weapon extra attack no longer uses your reaction.

Notes: why reaction? I wanted to free up the bonus action so big class features such as rage activation, and spells like hunter’s mark and hex to be less conflicting with the action economy but still wanted a cost of some sort for gaining a second weapon attack. Also, a subtle change to rogues attempting to get a second sneak attacks in one round they can do this still but it going to take a 5+ level investment to get extra attack.

• Archery +2 hit with ranged weapons
• Defense-+1 AC. As a reaction, when a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can redirect the attack towards you. You can only preform this act once per round
• Duelist- +1 hit and +1 damage when wielding a weapon in one hand and no other weapons.
• Great weapon fighting +2 damage while wielding a 2 handed weapon or a versatile weapon in two hands
• Throwing weapon fighting- +1 damage and long range no longer impose disadvantage on attack rolls.
• Two weapon fighting- main hand weapon no longer needs to me light and you have +1 AC while wielding two weapons.

Notes: goal was to have a clear goal of which weapons should be doing more damage: 2hd/ versatile> 2wf > single weapon and thrown weapons. Throwing builds are a popular choice but no real support other than a sneak attack so a fighting style seem fitting.

Dual Wielder
You master fighting with two weapons, gaining the following benefits:
you learned how to become a..insert flavor text here
+1 strength or +1 dexterity
you add your damage modifier to your offhand strike.
You can forgo advantage with an attack with your offhand strike to perform an extra attack with the same weapon.

Great Weapon Master
You've learned to put the weight of a weapon to your advantage, letting its momentum empower your strikes. You gain the following benefits:
+1 strength or +1 constitution
On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.

Sharpshooter
You have mastered ranged weapons and can make shots that others find impossible. You gain
the following benefits:
+1 dexterity or +1 constitution
Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
Your ranged weapon attacks ignore cover provided by other creatures.
(could keep the original cover reduction but personally I find it makes archery more boring by flat out bypassing all but full cover)

thrown weapon master
text to be added
+1 dexterity or +1 strength
throwing weapons only weigh half as much for you.
once per round when you throw any weapon with the throwing property you can gain +5 to the attack roll and if this attack hits you do the maximum weapon damage

i am still double checking my math on how this effects monks but so far it doesn't step on the toes of high level fighters.

Galithar
2018-12-21, 05:31 PM
I didn't have a chance to do any math myself, but everything looks good and is similar to some things I've done in the past.

In order to keep cover relevant I've also done that Sharpshooter has the following effect on it: half cover only confers +1 AC to targets if your ranged weapon attacks and three quarter cover only confers +3 (+2 if you want to round the 'bonus' down instead of up since all I did was reduce effectiveness by half)

Man_Over_Game
2018-12-21, 05:39 PM
What was the goal and the defense of these changes? I'm all for improving the game, and I can see some of why you're recommending these changes, but I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.

I'm particularly not a huge fan of the GWM style of spamming low accuracy attacks for high damage, but I haven't actually heard of a good case as to why they should be implemented and why it should be improved on, but I'd like to hear opinions on it.

bid
2018-12-21, 10:16 PM
Throwing weapon fighting style makes net useful.

stoutstien
2018-12-22, 05:16 PM
bid- the net working with thrown weapons style was on purpose. with my changes the only weapon that i haven't really found a fix for is blow dart. i'm thinking allowing 2x as many darts to be effected by a single dose of poison could help but i need to really think on that one.

man_over_game-
where to begin? i also am not a huge fan of trading +hit for damage but it is a tactical choice for players who focus on weapon play to have and by removing it from the feats and putting it in the base rules it actually opens up a lot of freedom in games with removing feat tax and make classes with extra attack(s) more applicable in a feat-less game.
i've toyed with the idea of making it a once per round option but it got really wordy and fighters fell behind in damage in tier 3+. thematically i like a fighter choosing to forgo aim to really put force behind a blow.( note now i see i need to add a line about needed prof in the weapon in question somewhere.)
the big change here is now DM can factor it in a lot easier compared to the old feat. -5/+10 at low lv is over board but feels weak at later levels.

twf was the hardest part of all this.
twf with the changes actually fit between 2hand weapon and shield users at all stages of game play in both offense and defense(i know dnd isn't a realistic simulator but side sword and ring dagger/ main gauche was about balance) but at first i just removed the bonus action but if you find a way to make an attack as a bonus action it pulled ahead of 2hd so i looking at the remaining parts of the action economy and realized by using the reaction it allows rangers, rogues, and other classes who have a really crowded bonus action to focus on playing the game instead of constantly stepping on their own feet.
by changing the fighting style from mod to off hand which is ~+5 to ~+1 damage and +1 ac it reduces the low level spike that twf had.

2nd lv fighter with applicable style and +3 in attack stat
2hd 2d6+5 can use powerful strike to -2 attack for +4 damage
twf 1d8+3+1d6 also has 1AC
SnB 1d8+4+1 also has +1 hit and 2AC with shield
AOO are really hard to factor but twf is taking the 1d6 now instead of waiting for AOO for 1d8+3

5th lv fighter each took +2 to main attack stat so +4 now
2hd 2(2d6+6) powerful strike is now -3/+6
twf 2(1d8+4)+1d6 +1 AC
SnB 2(1d8+5) +1 hit and +1 AC
now all can make AOO equally

11th lv each maxed attack stat at lv 6 and took weapon feat at lv 8
2hd 3(2d6+7) powerful strike -4/+8 and bonus action attack on kill or crit
twf 3(1d8+5)+2(1d6+5) if they get advantage on off hand attack
SnB 3(1d8+6) +1 hit and lets take shield master for advantage on a successful prone

now if we add an action surge at any point twf benefits the least but any effect that proc on a weapon hit such as auto crit from hold person or a weapon like a flame tongue it will help twf more. i have not found a case where it is constantly out preforms 2hd or falls below SnB which was the goal.

i apologize about formatting, on my phone atm.