PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Wards and augmentations for large unique Spellbook

Melcar
2018-12-21, 07:13 PM
Hellow fellow epic dudes and non-dudes alike...

I want to create a unique, large and very well guarded spellbook that contains all the spells of my level 32 mage. Like a great tome or grimoire!

What I need is help choosing materials for both the covers and the pages, as well as what augmentations and naturally what guards and wards should be put on it. I have decided that I want a minimum of 1000 sheets in it for a total of 2000 pages. I was thinking of having it be A3 size! And naturally it has to be masterfully crafted!

Caster level limit is 32, but gold is not a problem. We use all official publications Plus Dragon and Dungeon Magazine) and pathfinder.

Any ideas, comment, suggestions would be great! I have already looked in Complete Arcane, but I would like to hear peoples thought beyond the few lines of text in that book!

Thanks!

Kayblis
2018-12-21, 07:31 PM
A point to start would be the Boccob's Blessed Book. It's a 1000-page magic spellbook that's waterproof, bound with iron overlaid with silver, and locked. Spells can be inscribed on it without paying the usual 25gp per page. If you have item creation feats, or know a crafter, you can issue a large version of it with more pages. There are special rules for spellbooks, I believe in Complete Arcane, to waterproof and fireproof your book as well as add special properties to it.

You can also cast Secret Page to change the contents in the pages. Only someone that knows a special activation word can see the original content, and you choose what it's overlaid with - from child doodling to a complete guide on how to cook Wyvern meat. Then you cast your trap of choice like Explosive Runes or better. If you have the Spelltrapped augmentation, it doesn't even need to be a book-related spell! Cast your favorite Summon spell to give any reader a headache while the book teleports away to your safe haven. Arcane Mark and Instant Summons combined lets you always bring your spellbook to your hands with a standard action.

Thurbane
2018-12-21, 07:42 PM
Intelligent item Boccob's Blessed Book, then it can defend itself with its abilities.

Melcar
2018-12-22, 01:10 PM
Thank you both for your comments...

I have a question. After some heavy google searching I found out that quite a few spell traps can be discovered by a Rogue with sufficient search and subsequently disabled... Are there any spells that hides magical traps nature, i.e. so that a level 30 rogue would not be able to discover and disable my spell traps? I'm thinking spells like Watchware...

Thanks!

Malphegor
2018-12-22, 01:42 PM
Main thing that comes to mind is Secret Pageing every page with explosive runes for whoever doesn’t know the different passcode for each page.

Next, ask your DM if you can use the dead levels Wizards web content- for wizards, all it adds is that wizards above a certain level have animated content in their spellbook, increasing the DC to decipher them.

I suggest taking 2 levels of Geometer when you can so every spell takes 1 page (plus you basically no longer need silent spell metamagic), and rather than text your spells are in glyphs and imagery, further increasing the DC.

Now, to deal with Rogues and those who can disable your traps, I recommend making your spellbook a pain in the posterior to actually read the book. First off, only prime numbered pages have the actual spells in, the rest are particularly cruel trap DRM mixed in with seemingly meaningful angsty poetry and doodles that actually mean nothing... Except the first syllable of each third sentence is the verbal component for Blindness/Deafness. Layered ‘hahaha good luck, thief’ making them want to give up.

Now the trick to this book would be to have a tiny sensor crystal on the cover that you press your finger against. You’ll have a faint tattoo on your fingers that the book detects and lets you read it without issue.

Watchware is good, I was thinking Sending but Watchware is better. Something to allow your wizard to get popcorn and enjoy watching the thief suffer at your spellbook.

Melcar
2018-12-22, 03:11 PM
Thanks, that's some nice stuff right there...

I was also looking at just making it really tough...

And I found the spell Sign of Sealing, Greater it gives +10 hardness, and 5 HP/CL... Now would that spell stack and multiply with the spell Augment Object? (from Stronghold Builders Guidebook). And if so, would I be able to make it permanent like Magically Treated Wall Augmentation... Because if it did, and I could, it would be insanely difficult to destroy, should I ever encounter a sadistic DM or otherwise maniacal NPC... Granted all my other wards should make it pretty impossible to get their hands on it, and find it, but just in case... high hardness and HP is nice!

Thanks again!