PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Judge Dredd Style Drop: Holy Rifle (The Punisher)

jburner1234
2018-12-21, 08:11 PM
My main Idea is to create a Magic Rifle that literally deals out divine Justice. Furthermore I want this as a quest reward for one of my players with a level 5 gunslinger. What I want to avoid however is giving him too much power and would like some ideas on how to scale this weapon appropriatly to his level.

(The Punnisher)
On command, this gold and silver inlayed arcane rifle can transform one shot of its ammunition into a curse as the spell Bestow Curse. As a standard action the wielder states the conditions to be afflicted upon the target and spends 1 grit point; On hit that target makes a will save to resist the effect(DC 13 + wielders Charisma Bonus). If the target succeeds, the effect is negated normally. The curses bestowed by this Rifle end immediately if the effected creature possesses a good alignment.

Should this be scaled down, up, or is it just right? At first I was thinking, make the spell it casts “mark of Justice” however, even though the spell fits the spirit of the weapon idea, the spell level is a little high and I fear it might complicat gameplay a little. To both fix and simplify this I just figured I could just make the curses just not effect good creatures. Keep in mind this will be a drop for a boss fight.

ngilop
2018-12-21, 09:00 PM
Mark of justice makes no sense on a bullet.

Mark of justice is ' I put this mark on you if you do something that I say don't do, the curse take effect'

A gun says "Bang I instantly shoot you with this bullet' bullet sasy ' I deal lethal damage and if you do the thing I do not want you to do you get cursed.

I think looking at Arrow of Law (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arrow-of-law) and altering that would be better suited than slapping curses or contigent curses on somebody.

jburner1234
2018-12-21, 09:57 PM
Mark of justice makes no sense on a bullet.

Mark of justice is ' I put this mark on you if you do something that I say don't do, the curse take effect'

A gun says "Bang I instantly shoot you with this bullet' bullet sasy ' I deal lethal damage and if you do the thing I do not want you to do you get cursed.

I think looking at Arrow of Law (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arrow-of-law) and altering that would be better suited than slapping curses or contingent curses on somebody.

Great minds think alike.:smile: I have also played with making the weapon Holy or creating holy ammunition, however, this is not quite what I think the player is looking for. The player I am trying to reward is a lawful good mysterious stranger who likes exploring other options rather than just dealing a death sentence upon the wicked.(His character is based off of Judge Dread btw :wink:) To that end I was hoping to make a weapon that is capable of inflicting a just punishment upon its victim but at the same time still leave them alive. So far the player has been getting along with just having fun with pathfinders "called shots" mechanic, however he expressed to me that he would like some more options besides, just physical mutilation with his knife or rifle. Still I dont really want to give him Judge Dreads weapon (or a weapon that can just cast spells.) I do however want to give him a weapon with some high versatility to its ability to punish. Bestow Curse to me just seamed like a simple way to add flexibility to a gun. (Another Idea I had was to give him a magic branding iron which casts mark of justice on its victims. Isnt very Judge Dread but still may be what he is looking for.