PDA

View Full Version : What System? One Minute Melee Inspired Game

JNAProductions
2018-12-21, 09:42 PM
So, I've been watching a lot of One Minute Melee. Good stuff, go watch it.

And that gets me in the mood for some high-flying, pulse-pounding, over-the-top fighting action. Is there any system that captures that cinematic feel of those awesome fight scenes? Obviously a bit hard to recreate in pen and paper format, but I turn to the collective wisdom of the forum to see if my curiosity can be satiated.

Cluedrew
2018-12-21, 09:58 PM
Funny thing is, although I don't know what One Minute Melee is, I think I have had a similar itch recently. Mine was inspired by over the top martial arts fights (which I think is what you are going for) and overly complicated weapons. Because I want to stick a double ended scythe on the end of chain and fell the minions of darkness with it.

But I haven't found anything either. D&D has got its roots in very plain war-game combat and main other systems are two abstract for it. The two placed I would look that I haven't yet though are GURPS and Exalted. But maybe someone who has played them can speak to those.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-12-22, 01:07 PM
Riddle of Steel is one I frequently see recommended in threads like this, though I'm not personally familiar.

It seems to me, though, that there are two ways you could go here. You could use a really light system where individual turns resolve very quickly (like BADASS (http://www.stargazergames.eu/games/badass/) or my STaRS (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?361270-STaRS-the-Simple-TAbletop-Roleplaying-System-5-0), say) and simply describe everything in really over-the-top terms. That can get you a lightning-fast back-and-forth feel. The alternative is to go for higher complexity (like Exalted), where a plethora of awesome super-moves is sort of baked into the rules. Exalted 3e, which I've played, isn't exactly a fast game, but it will have you and your foe shouting super-moves at each other. (I use Heaven Thunder Hammer! I evade with Seven Leaf Shadow!)

I'll also suggest Mutants and Masterminds 3e, which isn't really anything special in terms of combat mechanics, but does do a great job of emulating Justice League/Young Justice style cartoon superhero action, especially if you either use either the official variant or ad-hoc knockback rules.

Knaight
2018-12-22, 03:23 PM
There's a few combat heavy games aimed at wuxia with really solid combat systems worth taking a look at. Most notably there's Legends of the Wulin, with Qin: The Warring States being a solid second place.

angille
2018-12-25, 01:05 AM
I like Marvel Heroic Roleplay for this. it's not everyone's cup of tea, but every time I've played or run it, the fight scenes are spectacularly actiony and OTT, with the escalation and off-the-wall ideas that make up those 1MM vids.

Arbane
2018-12-25, 10:59 PM
Feng Shui might be worth looking at, too - kung-fu fighting is one of the main genres it's designed for. And any game where you can have a modern day gunslinging cop, an ancient martial artist, and a postapocalyptic cybergorilla slug it out is worth a look.