PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Spymaster

Benejeseret
2007-09-22, 06:31 PM
I am looking to make a spymaster type rogue and could use some input.

I like the spymaster prc, but am unsure how many levels to give up to this prc. Anyone have experience with spymasters?

I am thinking of a dip into exemplar for the pumped up skill focus and mastery. Again suggestions welcome.

Finally, as a unique twist I was toying with the idea of a few artificer levels (up to 5 for retain essence) this would add some extra adaptability. I am thinking effigies (with craft construct and pretend to be a druid) or improved homunculus ethereal filchers. Plus always helps with cover story for spymaster infiltration.

So overall he would end up something like rogue5/Artificer5/spymaster9/exemplar1

r/r/a/a/r/a/a/r/sm/a/ex/r/sm/sm/sm/sm/sm/sm/sm/sm

I am sticking to ranged combat and focusing as much as possible to mislead enemy as to my true abilities/weaknesses. Ideally in combat he adapts to each situation and 1) knows about the fight before it happens due to scouting/infiltration, and 2) has stolen, sabotaged the enemies weapons.

Thanks

greenknight
2007-09-22, 07:52 PM
While the idea of being a spymaster has appeal, I find it has limited application in most campaigns because aside from the initial adventure hook, there's not a whole lot of use for spys. In other words, check with your DM whether this concept is going to work well in the actual campaign. Also check with the other players, because this concept will require you to have your character spend a lot of time away from the group doing scouting and sabotage. That often leaves them with little or nothing to do during that time.

The other issue you might have is that at higher levels, spellcasters are easily the best spies because of their information gathering and utility spells. Clerics in particular can get a lot of milage out of spells like Divination and Commune, and there are PrC's such as Divine Oracle (from Complete Divine) which can further enhance that.

If you do want a Rogue based Spymaster, then give serious consideration to taking the Leadership feat, since that will give you an entire spy network. Look for ways to capture your foes rather than kill them, because then you can interrogate them later. Try to get the rest of your party to work with you on that goal. You might also want to consider taking the Beguiler class (from PHBII) rather than Rogue. It will give you some magical abilities which are very useful to a spy type character, and you won't need to multiclass as much.

Skjaldbakka
2007-09-22, 07:58 PM
I would go with more levels in exemplar, that way you can give the party bonuses to 'spying skills'. One of the issues with a class like spymaster is that you wind up spending game time doing stuff on your own, which means other players are not getting to be involved. If you can boost the party's skills in that area, everyone can play the spy-game at once.

BardicDuelist
2007-09-22, 08:36 PM
For an intelligent spytype character, I second the Beguiler class. No multiclassing necessary. You have the skills of a rogue and a good deal of the useful magic of a wizard.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-22, 10:57 PM
For an intelligent spytype character, I second the Beguiler class. No multiclassing necessary. You have the skills of a rogue and a good deal of the useful magic of a wizard.
I'm not sure who you're seconding, but Beguilers are by far the easiest spy class and they let the party come with them during scouting via Invisibility Sphere and Silence, a fault most Rogue/Scout classes have in common.

I don't know much about the spymaster class, though. Exemplar is good for the reason Skjaldbakka gives. The thing you should really look at is getting the rest of the party in on whatever you do. If you can't get entire group participation you'll never be able to actually go though with your spy job.

BardicDuelist
2007-09-22, 11:00 PM
You might also want to consider taking the Beguiler class (from PHBII) rather than Rogue. It will give you some magical abilities which are very useful to a spy type character, and you won't need to multiclass as much.

I was seconding him.

Dr. Weasel
2007-09-22, 11:02 PM
Wow, I missed that for some reason. My mistake.

Guy_Whozevl
2007-09-22, 11:27 PM
By Spymaster, you mean the one from Complete Adventurer? Doesn't that only have, like, 7 levels?
Only dip for one level into Exemplar; the remaining abilites are lackluster for the levels they take up.
I third (or whatever it's at now) the beguiler due to the versitility it has as a skill monkey and a decent caster (illusion and enchantment fit perfectly with a spymaster).