View Full Version : 1 level dip or magic initiate

Teaguethebean
2018-12-22, 01:07 AM
Hello all I am playing an a rather combat heavy game and I am playing a lv7 Tabaxi Arcane Archer Str:8 Dex:20 Con:13 Int:10 Wis:12 Cha:16 fighting style archery, in melee I use scimitars or just my claws. Arcane arrows are bursting and grasping. What I am unsure of doing in the future is at level 12 at 8 I will definitely take sharpshooter (I realize I should have taken it earlier) but at lv 12 I am unsure of whether I should take magic initiate warlock for some utility and hex or if I should dip 1 or 2 levels of warlock. If anyone has suggestions please tell me.

CTurbo
2018-12-22, 01:30 AM
I'd probably go Magic Initiate as it's just easier, but if you want to multiclass-

1 level of Draconic Sorcerer gets you better than Light Armor AC, some cantrips, and something like Sheild that you could use in an emergency.

2 levels of Rogue really helps your utility and mobility options. 3 levels of Rogue gets you either Assassin for awesome first rounds, or Scout for extreme mobility.

3 levels of Warlock could get you an invisible familiar which is awesome for Archers. I'd go Fiend for temp hit points.

Ranger would be awesome but you don't qualify

Musthelog
2018-12-22, 04:45 AM
I would probably multiclass as the Arcane Archer is very lacking in anything exciting after lvl 7. As for what to multiclass into.... well that depends on what you want to do with your character.

As CTurbo said, sorcerer is good for some magical utility. I like rogue as it ads extra dmg from sneak attack and skill utility. I guess it would also depend on what your party needs. Do you have any arcane casters? Are you lacking a skill monkey or a face?
But as i said before, it all depends on what kind of flavour you want with your character.

opaopajr
2018-12-22, 06:44 AM
I'd take the feat, as I'd want the class features online faster. :smallsmile:

CTurbo
2018-12-22, 07:09 AM
I wouldn't even consider multiclassing before level 11 for the 3rd attack. The level 15 feature looks pretty good to me too. It gets you more Arcane Shot uses. I think I'd stay in class and take Magic Initiate AND Ritual Caster eventually for some really good utility options. I'd want to bump Con at some point and then grab something like Alert, Mobile, or Lucky.

Aett_Thorn
2018-12-22, 07:26 AM
Just out of curiosity, how are your arrows doing in effectiveness with only a 10 in Intelligence? If you’re having trouble getting your arrows to have their effects go off, you might consider raising your Int instead.

MarkVIIIMarc
2018-12-22, 10:14 AM
Hello all I am playing an a rather combat heavy game and I am playing a lv7 Tabaxi Arcane Archer Str:8 Dex:20 Con:13 Int:10 Wis:12 Cha:16 fighting style archery, in melee I use scimitars or just my claws. Arcane arrows are bursting and grasping. What I am unsure of doing in the future is at level 12 at 8 I will definitely take sharpshooter (I realize I should have taken it earlier) but at lv 12 I am unsure of whether I should take magic initiate warlock for some utility and hex or if I should dip 1 or 2 levels of warlock. If anyone has suggestions please tell me.

Go Magic Initiate.

-You have mentioned no desire or back story reason to make a pact with anyone.

-Them levels get hard to come by later on and a Warlock dip puts off your next Feat or ASI for out of game months.

Nhorianscum
2018-12-22, 10:59 AM

1 level dip is better everywhere but 11 and 20. Magic innate is better at 20.

djreynolds
2018-12-22, 01:38 PM
Place a 13 in wisdom, and 3 levels of ranger could be very nice.

Now you have a choice between spells like hunter's mark or hail of thorns.

And fighting style.

And gloomstalker, hunter, monster slayer

Resilient wisdom, would give you the 13 in wisdom to multiclass

da_chicken
2018-12-22, 11:41 PM
Unless you really need the ASIs for ability scores or feats or are just married to EK, I would multiclass and not look back. Extra Attack (2) is one of the best features in the game, but Fighter is a lackluster class after level 11/12. Indomitable is complete garbage, Extra Attack (3) is absurd but as a capstone it comes too late, and Action Surge x2 is not worth the other 7-8 levels.