PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Warlock Spell and Invocation Options

sandmote
2018-12-23, 03:26 AM
This Page on the Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/edit/SkUpqwnhgV)

What it says in the title; some spells and invocations for the warlock. Most of these are aimed at the two main issues I see levied at warlocks; in combat actions feeling samey, and them failing to keep up in power at high levels.

Right off the bat, there's two alternatives for Eldritch Blast, both of which offer different benefits. I'm treating the original spell as fighting with a two handed weapon, and Eldritch Slam as a sword and board alternative. Meanwhile, Eldritch Warp trades power to target a saving throw instead of making an attack roll.

As this taxes the Warlock's cantrips on top of Eldritch Blast, I suggest increasing the Warlock's list of known cantrips. To avoid front loading the class any further, it might make more sense to the class learn two cantrips at 4th and 10th level, instead of the normal one cantrip at each level.

The basic idea is to allow caster warlocks mechanically different options in combat. Eldritch Slam
cantrip evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
A shock wave of energy smashes into a creature within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d6 force damage. Additionally, casting this spell grants a +2 AC bonus until the start of your next turn. This cantrip counts as Eldritch Blast for the purpose of Invocation prerequisites, and any effect you can apply to Eldritch Blast you can also apply to Eldritch Slam.

The spell creates more than one wave when you reach higher levels: two waves at 5th level, three waves at 11th level, and four waves at 17th level. You can direct the waves at the same target or at different ones. Make a separate attack roll for each wave.

(Warlock)

Eldritch Warp
cantrip evocation
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
A wave of energy wraps around a creature with range. The target must make a constitution saving throw. On a failure, the target takes 1d8 force damage. This cantrip counts as Eldritch Blast for the purpose of Invocation prerequisites, and any effect you can apply to Eldritch Blast you can also apply to Eldritch Warp.

The spell creates more than on warped space when you reach higher levels: two spaces at 5th level, three spaces at 11th level, and four spaces at 17th level. You can create the spaces around the same target or at different ones. A separate throw is made for each warped space.

(Warlock)
Once a warlock has reached a higher level, there isn't much they can do to keep up. Considering the number of creatures immune to being stunned is lower than the number immune to being paralyzed, I've written a pair or spells to make use of that benefit. Stun Person
2nd-level enchantment
Range: 60 ft
Components: S, M (a shard of pyrite)
Duration: Conc. Up to 1 minute
Choose a humanoid that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be stunned for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional humanoid for each slot level above 2nd. The humanoids must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

(Bard, Druid, Sorcerer, Warlock)

Stun Monster
5th-level enchantment
Range: 90 ft
Components: S, M (a shard of pyrite)
Duration: Conc. Up to 1 minute
Choose a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be stunned for the duration. At the end of each of its turns, the target can make another Wisdom saving throw. On a success, the spell ends on the target.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 5th. The creatures must be within 30 feet of each other when you target them.

(Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock)
I've listed other classes getting the spells, but really only expect the slot-challenged warlock to take them (and at higher levels at that). Especially given paralysis does everything stunning does and more.

To stay in line at higher levels, there's a pair of invocations for the warlock that wants spellcasting flexibility over casting a single spell at will. Expert Caster
Prerequisite: 9th level
You gain an additional 1st level spell slot, which refreshes whenever your pact spell slots do. Invocations that require using a warlock spell slot can only be cast from this spell slot if they are 1st level spells.

Master Caster
Prerequisite: 15th level
You gain an additional 2nd level spell slot, which refreshes whenever your pact spell slots do. Invocations that require using a warlock spell slot can only be cast from this spell slot if they are 1st or 2nd level spells.
And of course options granting raw damage output. Bloodspiller
Prerequisite: 7th level, Pact of the Blade feature
When you hit a creature with your pact weapon, the creature takes an extra 1d6 slashing damage. damage of the same type dealt by the weapon to the target.

Vicious Blast
Prerequisite: Eldritch Blast cantrip, 9th level
When you cast eldritch blast, you can choose to take a -3 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +5 to the attack's damage. You can choose whether to use this effect for each attack roll of Eldritch Blast.
Finally, some generic options, simply to expand what the warlock can do. Friend of the Wilds
You can cast Beast Bond at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Rapid Step
Prerequisite: 9th level
You can cast Longstrider on yourself at will, without expending a spell slot or material components.

Blood Splatter
cantrip necromancy
Range: 5 ft
Components: S, M (a bit of dried blood)
Duration: Conc. 1 round
The target must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened until the end of its next turn. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

(Warlock)

Psychic Armor
2nd-level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: S, M (a shard of shale)
Duration: 1 minute
An ethereal covering springs up around your body. The next time you are hit by a melee attack, the attacker takes 2d8 psychic damage.
When you cast this spell using a slot of 3rd level or higher, the extra damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 2nd.

(Paladin, Sorcerer, Warlock)I think the cantrip's reduced range and duration reduce its power sufficiently below Cause Fear's. The other spell is meant to stack with Armor of Agathys in the cases you want to go for overkill.

Kane0
2018-12-23, 10:52 PM
Eldritch Slam seems straight up better than regular EB, as you're sacrificing 2 damage per hit for +2 AC when you use it for the round.
Warp seems alright, down one die size and no damage scaling against medium or smaller creatures for a Con save instead of Spell Attack.

Stun spells seem fine

Caster invocations seem fine, I might even say you could reduce the level requirements a touch

Bloodspiller seems fine, except change the damage type to match the weapon used
Vicious Blast: Slightly against the general design philosophy of 5e, how about taking +Prof from the attack roll and adding it to damage instead and you choose to use this for all beams or none, not for each beam.

Blood splatter works against plants and oozes?
Psychic armor is probably a touch underpowered, compare to Hellish Rebuke and Mirror Image.

Good read though!

sandmote
2018-12-24, 01:47 AM
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Eldritch Slam seems straight up better than regular EB, as you're sacrificing 2 damage per hit for +2 AC when you use it for the round.I personally prefer going sword and board over greataxe, so that sounds reasonable. Would reducing it to a d4 bring it closer in line?

Bloodspiller seems fine, except change the damage type to match the weapon usedIs there a mechanical reason for this I'm missing? The fluff is about spilling blood, something more thematically in line with slashing damage.

Vicious Blast: Slightly against the general design philosophy of 5e, how about taking +Prof from the attack roll and adding it to damage instead and you choose to use this for all beams or none, not for each beam.It's meant to be a warlock replacement for the Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter feats. While I agree it's slightly against 5e's design philosophy, I'd rather not make the invocation blatantly stronger.

Blood splatter works against plants and oozes?Is there a fear effect in 5e that doesn't work against plants and oozes? I admit I've misread the book before, but I don't recall Cause Fear mentioning that.

Psychic armor is probably a touch underpowered, compare to Hellish Rebuke and Mirror Image. Can I get more detail on this? It's barely less damage than Hellish Rebuke of a less commonly resisted type. It is weaker than Mirror Image, but doesn't take up your action to use. If anything, I was worried it would be a touch strong.

theVoidWatches
2018-12-24, 02:27 PM
Is there a mechanical reason for this I'm missing? The fluff is about spilling blood, something more thematically in line with slashing damage.

Pact weapons can be of any weapon type, so if you have this invocation you can smack someone with a hammer and they'll be sliced. Doesn't make much sense.

sandmote
2018-12-24, 03:40 PM
Pact weapons can be of any weapon type, so if you have this invocation you can smack someone with a hammer and they'll be sliced. Doesn't make much sense.
I was kind of expecting it to work like a cleric's divine strike, but if it's that confusing, sure, I'll change it.

theVoidWatches
2018-12-25, 04:20 PM
I feel like having it be an extra 1d6 Force damage would make sense as well.

sandmote
2018-12-28, 04:50 PM
I feel like having it be an extra 1d6 Force damage would make sense as well.
Force damage wouldn't be bad, but I would rather list a damage type that isn't the same as eldritch blasts'.

That said, I'm still trying to come up with an alternative thematically tied to the warlock putting in extra effort to spill blood. Would acid damage work?