PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help with two plots (druid circle and pixie)

Pinjata
2018-12-23, 12:00 PM
Hey guys,

As my campaign progresses, so does need for some fresh aspects upon setting concepts. My group is ATM in a large forest, they are all elves, accompanying their friend to visit a druid circle in order to get knowledge of how being a druid there.

Now as far as I have is ... a stone circle? With an elderly druid guy tasking young druid apprentice with three tasks. I have tasks nicely fleshed out, but I figured out, I have little clue of how the place looks and who is there. Mind you, I am very interested in shaping this in a very "natural" way. perhaps this is not a permanent place at all? Perhaps druid circle is just a concept? It should be close to concepts of nature - living, killing, consuming. These are not supposed to be touchy-feely treehuggers, but entities that understand circle of life and I'd like this to be reflected by creatures/monsters on a location as well perhaps their trains of thought. This druid circle venerates elven god Rillifane Rallathil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_elf_deities#Rillifane _Rallathil).

The other conundrum is as follows: One of the party members stole a ring from an old elf, who magically tasked a puny fey (pixie) to steal stuff from mentioned party member, untill caught. Pixie was caught, but nobody in the group speaks Sylvan (elven language).

How should I roleplay pixie in this case? They have her caught in a small cage ATM.

Felhammer
2018-12-26, 11:02 AM
Hey guys,

As my campaign progresses, so does need for some fresh aspects upon setting concepts. My group is ATM in a large forest, they are all elves, accompanying their friend to visit a druid circle in order to get knowledge of how being a druid there.

Now as far as I have is ... a stone circle? With an elderly druid guy tasking young druid apprentice with three tasks. I have tasks nicely fleshed out, but I figured out, I have little clue of how the place looks and who is there. Mind you, I am very interested in shaping this in a very "natural" way. perhaps this is not a permanent place at all? Perhaps druid circle is just a concept? It should be close to concepts of nature - living, killing, consuming. These are not supposed to be touchy-feely treehuggers, but entities that understand circle of life and I'd like this to be reflected by creatures/monsters on a location as well perhaps their trains of thought. This druid circle venerates elven god Rillifane Rallathil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_%26_Dragons_elf_deities#Rillifane _Rallathil).

I think having a sacred place is a good idea, something like Stonehenge, perhaps, but buried deep in the forest. A place where nature magic is very strong. A place that feels special and unique. A place that exudes a sense of history (even if the players never learn of that history).

The other conundrum is as follows: One of the party members stole a ring from an old elf, who magically tasked a puny fey (pixie) to steal stuff from mentioned party member, until caught. Pixie was caught, but nobody in the group speaks Sylvan (elven language).

How should I roleplay pixie in this case? They have her caught in a small cage ATM.

She would probably be pissed but since she cannot communicate with her captors, she is likely to also be monumentally frustrated. Her first priority should be to escape (because she does not know what the party will do with her, especially since she cannot communicate with them).

MoiMagnus
2018-12-26, 11:38 AM
For the circle, what I imagine is a stonehenge-like circle, of 12 "groups of stones".
Every 500 years, the druids remove the oldest group of stone (the group stone is "dead"), and craft a new one, with engraving describing what the new era look like.
Hence, you have 12 groups of stones in chronological order clock-wise, showing the passage of time as part of nature.

For the pixie, absence of common language is only a problem to communicate complex concepts. Facial expressions, signs, and sounds, are usually enough to communicate basic things. In the real worlds, when both people want to communicate basic informations, and try their best, language isn't really a problem. (Though it will take some time)

I usually deal with non-verbal communication with Wisdom-based tests. (followed by Charisma-based tests, if you want to obtain something from the other).

Pinjata
2018-12-27, 05:11 PM
Great answers, both of them. I love an idea of living and dying stones. Amazing. As for pixie .. fey are strange. Anyone having any fey-like general reapponse from her? Are fey tribal? Should "big brother" get her?

Also any general druid stuff would be appreciated too.

Pauly
2018-12-27, 08:11 PM
One suggestion for the stones, instead of a stones per se you could use a slow growing fungus. It would have similar structural properties to stone, but would need to be shaped by magic rather than have inscriptions carved.

That would mean you could have the “stones” literally growing and dying, not just figuratively. And it also takes it a step closer to weird and out of this world.

Another vote for sign language/facial expressions for the pixie. Also drawing pictures helps in real life situations.

Mystral
2018-12-28, 04:47 PM
Hey guys,

Just because druids are druids and live in the forest doesnt mean they sleep on trees and hunt with their bare hands. Have them live in simple houses, perhaps from wood shaped with spells from living trees. There should be something like a sacred grove where they hold their rituals and outsiders are forbidden, but also a place for simple living, eating and working (since the druids are living alone in the forest, they need to mend and create their own tools, clothing and so on). Since Rillifane Rallathilis a very calm god, have the druids reflect that nature. Maybe have them take oaths of silence (or at least be quite taciturn). It should be a permanent place, since their god is a tree god and trees stand firm and have roots. They might have some hermits or outposts, though.

The other conundrum is as follows: One of the party members stole a ring from an old elf, who magically tasked a puny fey (pixie) to steal stuff from mentioned party member, untill caught. Pixie was caught, but nobody in the group speaks Sylvan (elven language).

Most pixies speak common. If this one doesnt, have it mime. Actually mime out stuff yourself if you feel so inclined, that could be great fun. Just dont be surprised if the party keeps you for a pet.

Mystral
2018-12-28, 04:52 PM
Great answers, both of them. I love an idea of living and dying stones. Amazing. As for pixie .. fey are strange. Anyone having any fey-like general reapponse from her? Are fey tribal? Should "big brother" get her?

Also any general druid stuff would be appreciated too.

Fey arent one homogenous race. They are strange creatures with a close relationship to nature, but they have their feuds and differences, too. She might have a treant friend, or a few other pixies that might want to rescue her.

As for pixies, they generally live either alone, in small groups or in villages. They mostly keep to themselves in those villages. When the druid sent her to do his bidding, he either had a good incentive for her to do it or he should at least feel beholden to protect her. The pixie or her village might be allied with the druids and offer services because of the protection the druids give to their forest.

You should also realise that pixies are generally neutral good and not really malicious in their pranks. So the reaction should propably be along the lines of "okay, I pranked you, you caught me, we had a good laugh, now let me go and no hard feelings".

Also, take note of the spell-like abilities of the pixie. She can discern the alignment of the party with her spells, can read thoughts and should have a good feeling of what she is up against. And she can always turn invisible and use her permanent image to create a distraction and escape.

Also take note that pixies are propably larger than you think. They stand at 2.5 feet tall and are in the small size category (though definetely at the bottom end of that category). This isnt tinkerbell, more the size of a halfling child.