PDA

View Full Version : Painting Minature steps

username1
2018-12-23, 12:32 PM
I am about to start painting miniatures and have been watching and reading a lot about mini painting. I really like the way black magic craft shows painting, it seams simple and strait forward. However he says to attach the mini to the base before painting. I don’t get this, shouldn’t I keep it on the pudding base while painting, so I don’t mess up the base?

Pelle
2018-12-23, 01:27 PM
Easier to hold. Do the base at the end.

Pauly
2018-12-23, 07:24 PM
The oil from your hands can screw up the paint, also if the paint is not fully dry you can leave fingerprints. Most miniatures painters will use some method to prevent this.

You can glue the figure to the base, or to another temporary base,

Since you will want to paont your base eventually many people paint the figure attached to the base first, then paint the base.

My normal procedure isto undercoat the figures, give the base one layer of ground color (so you don’t paint the figure’s feet accidentally when you paint the base) and then paint the figure

Mutazoia
2018-12-30, 10:40 PM
Go ahead and attach it to the stand that your going to have it on for play. You don't really want to be trying to glue it on after you paint it, because you don't want to risk accidentally getting glue on your freshly painted mini.

There is a lot of advice on how to paint minis (as you found out), but personally, I build a small paint box out of a card board box (cut the tip and one side off, cut the other two sides down at an angle) and then spray the mini lightly with a primer coat. Don't spray too heavily, because you don't want paint to build up in the fiddly bits. Start spraying to the side of the mini (off the mini) and move the can as evenly as possible from one side to the other, ending the spray off the mini. Turn the mini and repeat until you get the whole thing coated. Then I do a black under coat. This will get you a slight shadow under/between a dragon's scales, for example, if you use a dry brushing technique to apply the scale color....

If you don't want your base painted, the art world has a wonderful invention called "Masking fluid" and/or "Liquid Frisket (https://www.google.com/search?q=liquid+frisket&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS758US758&oq=liquid+fris&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6418j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8)". This stuff gets painted on before hand, and then peals off kind of like rubber cement, but with out the sticky after taste. Paint this stuff over the area you don't want painted, and go to town with the paint. The great thing about this stuff, is that you can do intricate shapes with it. I once used metallic gold paint on a shield, use the liquid frisket to mask out a star pattern, and then painted the shield over in black. When I pealed the frisket, I had a perfect metallic gold start, with nice crisp edges, in the center of the black shield.

So....cover your base with the masking fluid/liquid frisket. It doesn't take a lot, so you can paint right around the feet, and peel any "over painting" of the frisket from the feet before applying your coat(s) of paint.

Wraith
2019-01-01, 10:30 AM
Ideally, you want to stick your miniature to the base and then paint the base.
If you do it the other way around (paint the base and then stick the miniature to it) then you're actually sticking plastic to paint, rather than plastic to plastic. It's a much weaker bond and the paint is far more likely to flake off, so that the model comes away with much less force - especially if you're really going to town on the base with multiple layers of paint, flock, etc too.

Jophiel
2019-01-02, 01:38 AM
If you're anything like me, you'll lightly sand the base and lightly sand the bottom of the figure (assuming it's not metal) before you glue it on. So the plastic base will be scuffed anyway and you'll want to paint it or add sand, flock or some other basing material.

Felhammer
2019-01-04, 05:28 PM
There are a few ways to do this.

Buy a painting handle (https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Citadel-Painting-Handle-2017). It lets you hold a stick while painting your model. If 8 bucks seems steep, you can get a shot glass, turn it upside down and then put tacky putty or double stick tape over it, the stick your miniature onto the shot glass.