PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e God statting

Legokeiki
2018-12-23, 03:57 PM
-----So I decided in my campaign that I’m going to stat my gods. The CR range is roughly 30 - 40 depending on the god. These gods are homebrew based off the western zodiac. So far I have made one, as well as a joke Santa Claus one for the holidays.
-----I intend for the gods to be barely beatable by a 20th level party with buffs from other gods (+5 to hit, +100 hp, an epic boon or two, something like that) I know people get up in arms about statting gods, and these gods are not as powerful as something like a greater from the forgotten realms.
-----Is anything off? Any feedback would be great.

It might try to print something when you click on the link, sorry about that, I couldn't figure out how to stop it from happening.

Santa Claus
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/rJbFN2h2x4?dialog=true

Scorpio (God of poison, fire, deserts, scorpions, etc.)
https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/By0md52gE?dialog=true

JNAProductions
2018-12-24, 12:44 PM
So, Santa can literally not fail any Wisdom saves against DC 21 or less. Let me also run some math...

He gains 120 THP each round, and reduces all damage taken by 12.
Against a classic party (Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Fighter) he takes...
Rogue (with +3d6 damage magic item): 11d6+5+3d6=54, 54-12=42.
Fighter (with +3 Greatsword): ((2d6+5+3)-12)*4=12.
Wizard (with Firebolt): 4d10/2=11, 11-12=0.
Cleric (with Sacred Flame): 4d8=18, 18-12=6.
So, on a non-resource round, they deal 60 of his 120 THP.

The issue is, the Fighter can only increase his damage with GWM (which he's not guaranteed to have) which TANKS his accuracy, and the Wizard and Cleric have limited higher-level slots.

Quite simply put, even with his low HP, he's going to be nigh-impossible to kill, and OH WAIT! He has resistance to physical damage, I forgot.

Nevermind-the Fighter can deal, with GWM, a max of 3 damage per attack outside of crits. 2d6 maxes at 12, +8 for stat and item is 20, +10 for GWM is 30, halved is 15.

Even on a crit, he caps at 9 damage.

Is that what you want? Do you hate Fighters? Because, with an extra +5 to-hit, GWM on, and a +3 magic weapon, a Champion deals an average of...
.5631 (for crits)+.2139 (for regular hits)=.777 damage per attack.

Or, to put another way, you'd need 39 greatsword-wielding Champion Fighter 20s to attack Santa in one round to deal 1-2 points of actual HP damage.

Legokeiki
2018-12-24, 02:45 PM
So, Santa can literally not fail any Wisdom saves against DC 21 or less. Let me also run some math...

He gains 120 THP each round, and reduces all damage taken by 12.
Against a classic party (Cleric, Wizard, Rogue, Fighter) he takes...
Rogue (with +3d6 damage magic item): 11d6+5+3d6=54, 54-12=42.
Fighter (with +3 Greatsword): ((2d6+5+3)-12)*4=12.
Wizard (with Firebolt): 4d10/2=11, 11-12=0.
Cleric (with Sacred Flame): 4d8=18, 18-12=6.
So, on a non-resource round, they deal 60 of his 120 THP.

The issue is, the Fighter can only increase his damage with GWM (which he's not guaranteed to have) which TANKS his accuracy, and the Wizard and Cleric have limited higher-level slots.

Quite simply put, even with his low HP, he's going to be nigh-impossible to kill, and OH WAIT! He has resistance to physical damage, I forgot.

Nevermind-the Fighter can deal, with GWM, a max of 3 damage per attack outside of crits. 2d6 maxes at 12, +8 for stat and item is 20, +10 for GWM is 30, halved is 15.

Even on a crit, he caps at 9 damage.

Is that what you want? Do you hate Fighters? Because, with an extra +5 to-hit, GWM on, and a +3 magic weapon, a Champion deals an average of...
.5631 (for crits)+.2139 (for regular hits)=.777 damage per attack.

Or, to put another way, you'd need 39 greatsword-wielding Champion Fighter 20s to attack Santa in one round to deal 1-2 points of actual HP damage.

Hmm. I see your point with the fighter, if I was actually to use Santa, i'd probably remove his phys. resistance. Also, santa is extremely vulnerable to burst damage, which at lvl 20, 4 PCs could probably nuke him down to nil in a round if they used their heavy hitting spells/abilities.
I think it depends on the party, because if they have a Pally or something they can burst like crazy. (I've built rogues that deal average like 700 damage in a round.)
Santa was the joke one anyway, and I probably should have stated that more clearly. I'm more looking for feedback on Scorpio since he's an actual god in my world.
I can see Santa would need some rebalancing against most parties.