PDA

View Full Version : Classic PS game Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Traab
2018-12-23, 05:29 PM
Anyone ever heard of this? Its an rpg that came to america around the time of sega cd but they also released it for the playstation. Even after all these years (I bought it as a new release) I still remember it fondly as one of the few rpgs outside of final fantasy to really grab my attention. Anyways, recently it got brought up on another board so out of nostalgia I looked it up on steam. No dice. Then I looked it up on amazon, HUZZAH! They have it for sale! Not only that but exactly how I remember with the little hardcover book and everything! Lets see, FOUR HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN DOLLARS?!?!?!?! Ehhh, it wasnt THAT great. Maybe if they put it up for like 95% off I will consider it. :smallbiggrin:

danzibr
2018-12-23, 06:33 PM
Lunar!!!

Yeah man, I remember.

I played the original (well, the PS remake of the original) a few times, probably like 3 total. Then I played Eternal Blue. I found that very underwhelming. Then I went back to play the original original... couldn't really get into it.

But yeah man, Lunar, I'm a fan.

theMycon
2018-12-23, 11:36 PM
Eternal Blue (the SegaCD version) is one of my favorite games of all time. It's probably my favorite iteration of the series (yes, even above SSSC), Rush Limbaugh jokes be damned. Lucia's less "Naive Waif" and more "the evil that's on your side", there're puzzle bosses galore, and Ronfar is extremely abusable.

With the segaCD version existing and Working Designs being dead more than a decade, I do see an obvious solution to your quandary. A free solution.

The PSX version was "just"* a complete script re-write, with a handful of scenarios changed. You can still notice a decade's advancement in game design and political correctness, but excluding the save system I rather like the old game design choices. Even knowing intellectually that the old version of Blue Dragon Vigor does basically nothing except waste 99 MP, I still think it's awesome. I heavily recommend trying it some time.

*This is relatively small compared to Silver Star, which replaced the last (third in original, half in PSX version), made numerous scenario changes in the first half, introduced numerous major characters, and threw in some plot holes for the sake of drama. The original original, Lunar:TSS is not a very good game. It's got a great story, it's the canonical version that all sequels and prequels are based on, and it's a pretty short game- no grinding needed & Alex becomes massively OP when the plot suggests he should start to outpace everyone else. But actually playing it is painful. If you REALLY love the series, do it once so you get Ghaleon's motivations & never look back.

GloatingSwine
2018-12-24, 03:09 PM
Lets see, FOUR HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN DOLLARS?!?!?!?! Ehhh, it wasnt THAT great. Maybe if they put it up for like 95% off I will consider it. :smallbiggrin:

The Lunar complete editions were relatively limited and expensive releases when they were new. So it's not surprising it's expensive these days.

I wanted them to do Eternal Blue Harmony because I never finished it back in the day, and it's not the sort of game I'll consistently play on PC so emulation isn't the answer for me.

Maybe for switch. They're doing Grandia 1 & 2, so they could do more Game Arts.

danzibr
2018-12-24, 03:11 PM
Eternal Blue (the SegaCD version) is one of my favorite games of all time. It's probably my favorite iteration of the series (yes, even above SSSC), Rush Limbaugh jokes be damned. Lucia's less "Naive Waif" and more "the evil that's on your side", there're puzzle bosses galore, and Ronfar is extremely abusable.

With the segaCD version existing and Working Designs being dead more than a decade, I do see an obvious solution to your quandary. A free solution.

The PSX version was "just"* a complete script re-write, with a handful of scenarios changed. You can still notice a decade's advancement in game design and political correctness, but excluding the save system I rather like the old game design choices. Even knowing intellectually that the old version of Blue Dragon Vigor does basically nothing except waste 99 MP, I still think it's awesome. I heavily recommend trying it some time.

*This is relatively small compared to Silver Star, which replaced the last (third in original, half in PSX version), made numerous scenario changes in the first half, introduced numerous major characters, and threw in some plot holes for the sake of drama. The original original, Lunar:TSS is not a very good game. It's got a great story, it's the canonical version that all sequels and prequels are based on, and it's a pretty short game- no grinding needed & Alex becomes massively OP when the plot suggests he should start to outpace everyone else. But actually playing it is painful. If you REALLY love the series, do it once so you get Ghaleon's motivations & never look back.
This makes me want to follow through with my SS play through. And play the original EB.

theMycon
2018-12-24, 04:00 PM
This makes me want to follow through with my SS play through. And play the original EB.

From what little I know of you (we've both been posting here a number of years), it'd be worth it. Lunar: Walking School was better than anything else out of the main 2, although I've never played the Sega Saturn version. Still, if you're gonna set up a SegaCD emulator, I'd recommend Working Designs other "best game" first.

Play Popful Mail. Same humor, action platformer, occasionally fantastic music, maybe 10 hours if you try to see everything. There are 3 playable characters, who all have significantly different dialogue for most bosses and plot developments depending on who you control at a given time. And Sven T Uncommon, a knockoff Arnold Schwarzenegger immortal shapeshifting madman; who is the most Working Designs thing Working Designs ever localized.

I'm a total fanboy of the company. Those 3 games (Lunar 2:EB, Lunar:SSSC, and Popful Mail) are in my top 5 games of all time. If you expand it to top 25, Dragon Force & Vanguard Bandits might find their way. Top 100, I'd probably add Albert Oddesy & Growlanser Generations. After that... I'd point out that Alundra & Arc the Lad are popular, but I wasn't a fan of either.

danzibr
2018-12-25, 10:13 AM
From what little I know of you (we've both been posting here a number of years), it'd be worth it. Lunar: Walking School was better than anything else out of the main 2, although I've never played the Sega Saturn version. Still, if you're gonna set up a SegaCD emulator, I'd recommend Working Designs other "best game" first.

Play Popful Mail. Same humor, action platformer, occasionally fantastic music, maybe 10 hours if you try to see everything. There are 3 playable characters, who all have significantly different dialogue for most bosses and plot developments depending on who you control at a given time. And Sven T Uncommon, a knockoff Arnold Schwarzenegger immortal shapeshifting madman; who is the most Working Designs thing Working Designs ever localized.

I'm a total fanboy of the company. Those 3 games (Lunar 2:EB, Lunar:SSSC, and Popful Mail) are in my top 5 games of all time. If you expand it to top 25, Dragon Force & Vanguard Bandits might find their way. Top 100, I'd probably add Albert Oddesy & Growlanser Generations. After that... I'd point out that Alundra & Arc the Lad are popular, but I wasn't a fan of either.
Thanks for the suggestions! Fortunately, on break, have some time.

It's interesting, getting to know people on this forum. I remember the first time I saw your username, Star Control reference, knew you were a cool dude.

KillianHawkeye
2018-12-25, 11:45 AM
Wow, nice to see other people remember these old gems! I still have my copies of both games (the Playstation "Complete" versions). I loved the whole concept of the people using magic to flee disaster and colonize the moon. Two of my favorite non-FF RPGs from back in the day!

Slayn82
2018-12-26, 10:21 AM
I've played the Game Boy Advance version, so maybe you can get for it. I lost interest in the middle, and allowed my brother to play it to the end. Just remember the little Dragon sidekick and the girl possessed by a Goddess.

theMycon
2018-12-26, 01:08 PM
I've played the Game Boy Advance version, so maybe you can get for it. I lost interest in the middle, and allowed my brother to play it to the end. Just remember the little Dragon sidekick and the girl possessed by a Goddess.

We don't talk about that version.

In fact, if anyone other than John Truitt voices Ghaleon, it didn't happen.

danzibr
2018-12-26, 08:39 PM
We don't talk about that version.

In fact, if anyone other than John Truitt voices Ghaleon, it didn't happen.
Ugghhhhhhh.

I loved the voice acting in the PSX version. Got it on my iPad, voices were different, nearly quit.

Wookieetank
2018-12-27, 10:10 AM
Still own the PSX versions of SS & EB, actually been considering breaking them out now that my daughter is about old enough to enjoy them. I've also played the GBA one, and it was rather atrocious, but at lest it was easily cheeseable to get through.

One of my favorite bits from these games (other than being overall fantastic) was that once you got the plot powerup, it actually showed up in gameplay as well. Which is a surprisingly rare occurrence.

danzibr
2018-12-27, 02:32 PM
Still own the PSX versions of SS & EB, actually been considering breaking them out now that my daughter is about old enough to enjoy them. I've also played the GBA one, and it was rather atrocious, but at lest it was easily cheeseable to get through.

One of my favorite bits from these games (other than being overall fantastic) was that once you got the plot powerup, it actually showed up in gameplay as well. Which is a surprisingly rare occurrence.
Wait, for Alex? I seem to recall his stats and abilities being the same (except one of the moves had a different audio clip).

GloatingSwine
2018-12-27, 03:08 PM
Wait, for Alex? I seem to recall his stats and abilities being the same (except one of the moves had a different audio clip).

He probably means the sprite change.

Though the Dragonmaster gear was also rather tasty mechanically as well.

Wookieetank
2018-12-27, 03:11 PM

I thought each piece of Dragon armor gave him a noticeable stat boost. Could be misremembering, its been a few (15ish... :smalleek:) years since I last did a playthrough.

danzibr
2018-12-27, 07:20 PM
He probably means the sprite change.

Though the Dragonmaster gear was also rather tasty mechanically as well.

I thought each piece of Dragon armor gave him a noticeable stat boost. Could be misremembering, its been a few (15ish... :smalleek:) years since I last did a playthrough.
Oooohhh you couldn’t equip the gear until you became dragonmaster? I remember that of the ring.

Anyway, yeah, that is a nice boost.

Edit: ring and wings, but I recall the wings being inferior to other accessories.

theMycon
2018-12-27, 08:35 PM
He gained a new spell and could equip a new ring & armor, which gave good stat boosts. He went from "probably the best character" to "definitely the best character", but...

It's nothing compared to the SegaCD version. Once he went on his trip with Laike, Alex went berserk. The Plot Power up brought him from "definitely the best character" to "could take the other 4 all at once". His stat boosts stayed crazy, to the point where you probably wouldn't notice if all 4 turned on you by the final boss.

Traab
2018-12-29, 03:08 PM
I remember playing one of the handheld versions, I think it was the first game in the series. I remember the final battle being beyond lame because I couldnt lose. My party got wiped, my little dragon buddy would rezz me, I would get in a hit, get killed, get rezzed, get in a hit etc till victory. Kinda ruined the entire game for me.

danzibr
2018-12-29, 05:03 PM
I remember playing one of the handheld versions, I think it was the first game in the series. I remember the final battle being beyond lame because I couldnt lose. My party got wiped, my little dragon buddy would rezz me, I would get in a hit, get killed, get rezzed, get in a hit etc till victory. Kinda ruined the entire game for me.
That is a bummer. I recall feeling that way about FFX.

Traab
2019-01-08, 06:02 PM
That is a bummer. I recall feeling that way about FFX.

I didnt even get that far with ffx. I was really bothered by the excessive hand holding style of teaching us how to play the game. As far as im concerned the series ended on 9.

danzibr
2019-01-08, 07:52 PM
I didnt even get that far with ffx. I was really bothered by the excessive hand holding style of teaching us how to play the game. As far as im concerned the series ended on 9.
I actually prefer X (and XII, and Lightning Returns, and XV) to IX.

Not that I like all the games up to VIII. III is one of the worst in the series IMO.

Traab
2019-01-12, 08:29 PM
I actually prefer X (and XII, and Lightning Returns, and XV) to IX.

Not that I like all the games up to VIII. III is one of the worst in the series IMO.

Im a solid 6,7,9 fan. Some of the others are pretty good, I think 4 is probably next on my personal ranking list. The rest can stay away. I havent actually played any of the games since x-2 so I cant speak for them.