PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Fey'ri Homebrew for 5e

Mythalidor
2018-12-23, 06:19 PM
So the Fey'ri race is one of my favorites, but sadly that there isn't any official ones for 5e, so I've kept looking up homebrew ones for a while, but the problem is that they're either unbalanced, or they don't have the proper feel of a Fey'ri. I ended up designing two possible Fey'ri race options and wanted opinions on how they seem. Some of the featured text is borrowed from other Homebrews I found.

Option 1 - Elven Subrace (based on Avariel UA + weapons training of the drow race).
All of the basic elven features.
+1 Charisma
Abyssal Language
Fey'ri Shapechange: As an action, Fey'ri are able to take on the form of a Sun Elf of the same height, build, and gender of the Fey'ri or back to their true form. This is the only form they can take using this ability. (This ability is physical and not magical, so it is unaffected by any effect that would detect or dispel magic.) As part of your Shapechanger ability, while in your Fey'ri form, you can sprout one or more sets of wings. Your fly speed is 30 feet. In addition, you cannot fly if you are wearing medium or heavy armor, armor you are not proficient in and armor not tailored to accommodate your wings.
Fey'ri Weapons Training: You gain proficiency in Rapiers, Shortswords, and Hand Crossbows.
Succubi's Voice: You can replace your Perception proficiency of the elven race with Deception.
Then maybe a Fey'ri Magic feat similar to Drow High Magic, with Charm Person, and Vampiric Touch.

Option 2- Its own race.
+2 Dex +1 Cha
Languages: Common, Elvish, Abyssal.
Shapechanger: Same as above, but without wings.
Succubi Ancestry: You have advantage on saves against being*charmed, and magic can't put you to sleep. You also gain proficiency in the Deception Skill
Darkvision: 60 Feet
Then I was thinking reskin the existing elvish subraces into Fey'ri based ones. High Elf -> House Dlardrageth, Drow-> Something called like Moonlight Fey'ri or something. Then creating one for House Aelorothi where they would get a cleric based cantrip and the celestial language.
Then for the flight mechanic, having it be a feat like the dragonborn wings, so players have to give up an ASI in order to gain flight.

The subrace seems stronger imo since they get trance, and flight straight away, but the own race gets more magic at the start from the subraces. Any suggestions about these options and how to balance them would be great.

I've also played a reskinned Winged Tiefling, but it didn't really have the right feel to me.