PDA

View Full Version : Debats from latest Session...

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-22, 08:04 PM
1) my wizard turned lvl 3. Hence my familiar became a 3HD creature. does my familiar get a 3rd lvl feat?

2) can i sculpt the 1st lvl 15ft cone spell burning hands into a 120 line with the metamagic feat sculpt spell?

Grim Greyscale
2007-09-22, 08:13 PM
1) Your familiar is only treated as a 3HD creature for the purpose of things that determine effect based on HD. It doesn't actually have 3HD, and thus doesn't gain a feat.

2) Yes.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-09-23, 04:10 PM
1) Your familiar is only treated as a 3HD creature for the purpose of things that determine effect based on HD. It doesn't actually have 3HD, and thus doesn't gain a feat.

2) Yes.

really? i was sure about the familiar thing...

AslanCross
2007-09-23, 04:27 PM
Familiars don't advance like Paladin mounts and animal companions do. Those actually gain HD, which raises their BAB, saves and gives them feats and skill points. Familiars only gain HP dependent on their masters. The "HD" they have is only used for determining whether they're affected by say, fear effects.

Hit Dice

For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.
Hit Points

The familiar has one-half the master’s total hit points (not including temporary hit points), rounded down, regardless of its actual Hit Dice.