PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Inquisitor Shifter Monk Mage Slayer

Wasp
2018-12-23, 06:35 PM
Hi everyone

I have semi-randomly been assigned with a background, a race, as class and a feat for a character and I was looking for inspiration what to do with her...

Background: Inquisitor
Race: Shifter
Class: Monk
Background: Mage Slayer

Standard Array for attributes.

I assume Focus on Wis, Dex, Con, take Wildhund and Open Palm? Any other ideas?

Corran
2018-12-23, 06:52 PM
That's an old post (I think it was written by RulesJD) that you may find useful:
Shadow Step for hypermobility that isn't spell based so it can't be counterspelled, short rest recharge castable Silence, Stunning Strike, and Sentinel feat.

Steps to killing a Mage as a Shadowmonk:

Round 1 -> Cast Silence centered on the mage and Shadowstep to them (Advantage on next attack). Mage has no way to move besides either using Disengage, or eating an Opportunity Attack. Either works because Sentinel ignores the Disengage and Opp Attack = at advantage = Stunning Strike + Sentinel to stop movement.

Round 2 -> Beat the crap out of the mage who can't leave the Silence area.

Presuming you are also a wildhunt shifter (since the stat boosts fit the monk's needs), the bonus action marking ability could be very useful for tracking down people, especially since this ability is not a spell and thus will bypass various protections against spells. I am not sure how good of a feat mage slayer actually is, so it might be a good idea to see if your GM will allow you to retrain it for sentinel, assuming you also find that a good idea too.

Personally, I would also start with an odd wisdom in order to be able to grab observant (good feat for any sort of bounty hunter type of character) instead of a wisdom bump, though that will probably happen late in the game since dex bumps and a few feats (like mobile or sentinel as per the spoiler) are probably more important than boosting your wisdom. Edit: Scratch that, with standard array this wont fly.

FringeJacket
2018-12-23, 06:57 PM
Take drunken master. You worked as an inquisitor with your brother. You two were the best inquisitors on the force until an evil mage killed your brother. You never saw the mage’s face and can only identify him by his terrifying laugh. You spend all day drinking to forget.

Wasp
2018-12-26, 05:11 PM
Take drunken master. You worked as an inquisitor with your brother. You two were the best inquisitors on the force until an evil mage killed your brother. You never saw the mage’s face and can only identify him by his terrifying laugh. You spend all day drinking to forget.

That sounds awefully familiar and somehoe I am now sad because of shoes...

That's an old post (I think it was written by RulesJD) that you may find useful:
Shadow Step for hypermobility that isn't spell based so it can't be counterspelled, short rest recharge castable Silence, Stunning Strike, and Sentinel feat.

Steps to killing a Mage as a Shadowmonk:

Round 1 -> Cast Silence centered on the mage and Shadowstep to them (Advantage on next attack). Mage has no way to move besides either using Disengage, or eating an Opportunity Attack. Either works because Sentinel ignores the Disengage and Opp Attack = at advantage = Stunning Strike + Sentinel to stop movement.

Round 2 -> Beat the crap out of the mage who can't leave the Silence area.

Presuming you are also a wildhunt shifter (since the stat boosts fit the monk's needs), the bonus action marking ability could be very useful for tracking down people, especially since this ability is not a spell and thus will bypass various protections against spells. I am not sure how good of a feat mage slayer actually is, so it might be a good idea to see if your GM will allow you to retrain it for sentinel, assuming you also find that a good idea too.

Personally, I would also start with an odd wisdom in order to be able to grab observant (good feat for any sort of bounty hunter type of character) instead of a wisdom bump, though that will probably happen late in the game since dex bumps and a few feats (like mobile or sentinel as per the spoiler) are probably more important than boosting your wisdom. Edit: Scratch that, with standard array this wont fly.
I like this whole concept quite a bit, if maybe a bit one trick pony-ish. But for a limited game. I think replacing Mage Slayer with Sentinel would fly without problem as it fits thematically.

Oh and I forgot, starting level would be 8 and it would be a one-shot, so potentially 2 ASI but not much progression afterwards

MagneticKitty
2018-12-27, 03:03 PM

Maybe instead you only remember his scent (wildhunt shifter)
Then you can go sniffing around for the murderer... pun intended