PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Summons to fight a Banshee

Stryyke
2018-12-23, 10:28 PM
I'm going into a banshee fight in a few days, and I have no offensive weapons, other than Summon Monster 1-4. What would the most effective summon be for engaging the Banshee? Version 3.5

PrismCat21
2018-12-23, 11:20 PM
The only Banshee I can think of at the moment in 3.5 is from MMII, a CR 17 creature. Is 3.5 the system the Banshee is from or is it something else? Is the Banshee an official monster or homebrewed? Is it a different creature that's just called a Banshee?

Assuming it's incorporeal, the only creatures from SM I-IV that could really do anything to it are Mephits, and Lantern Archons. But I wouldn't suggest going after it with either as they'll die pretty quick and won't make much of a dent.
The Hell Hound's Breath weapon might chip away at it.

Stryyke
2018-12-24, 02:31 AM
The only Banshee I can think of at the moment in 3.5 is from MMII, a CR 17 creature. Is 3.5 the system the Banshee is from or is it something else? Is the Banshee an official monster or homebrewed? Is it a different creature that's just called a Banshee?

Assuming it's incorporeal, the only creatures from SM I-IV that could really do anything to it are Mephits, and Lantern Archons. But I wouldn't suggest going after it with either as they'll die pretty quick and won't make much of a dent.
The Hell Hound's Breath weapon might chip away at it.

Thanks. I won't be the only one there, so I just needed something to actually damage it. I'll just summon Mephits and Archons to tank the actual attacks and provide a flanker. The others will be doing the bulk of the damage.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-12-24, 02:54 PM
I really, really hope you only have 4th level spells because you're an upper-mid level bard or paladin pulling some spell access trickery? Otherwise that banshee is just gonna merc you like it's some kind of twisted joke.

Falontani
2018-12-24, 09:08 PM
Call out some allips with summon undead 4?

Calthropstu
2018-12-25, 02:48 AM
Summon nothing. Run. Run for your pathetic mid level life. Get out of the banshee's territory, leave an offering as an apology as you go. And never return.

PrismCat21
2018-12-25, 05:56 PM
Summon nothing. Run. Run for your pathetic mid level life. Get out of the banshee's territory, leave an offering as an apology as you go. And never return.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/xenoblade/images/9/92/He%27s_right_you_know.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150320192210

Blackhawk748
2018-12-25, 08:20 PM
Yaaaa...If thats an actual, honest to The Old Man Banshee. You're dead. Unless you're a Sword of the Arcane Order Paladin who has Summons for some reason....Or a bard I guess, but it doesnt sound like it. It sounds like you're level 8 or something, and a Banshee is CR 19? I think. WHatever its CR (Way the hell over you) and it actually earns that CR.

So run. Run for you life while screaming apologies.

Feantar
2018-12-26, 04:27 PM
If you don't have death ward on each character you're dead. Don't even try, you'll die in one round.

However, with death ward, the banshee sucks. Seriously, only thing it can do as an attack is 1d8 damage. It has a horrible AC of 16 and 169 HP. But, and here's the kicker, I don't think lantern archons can damage it. That is because their light ray is (Ex), thus not a magic weapon, and the entry states it overcomes DR of any type, and the incorporeal subtype's clause "It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms" isn't DR. Also, the archon's DR makes its weapons count as magic and good only for the purposes of DR.

Mephits can damage it with breath weapons, but those usually take 2 to 3 rounds to recharge and do very little damage.

...I'm stumped. If you have some heavy hitter, you could use the 3 following spells to have them just bash the banshee into submission. Fly(3) + Cloud Wings(2) to get fly speed of 90 (faster than the banshee) and Ghost Touch Weapon(Cleric 3) to make their (melee) weapon be able to do the bashing. They all last 1 minute per level, so just sending said person with 1 death ward (which also lasts 1 min/level) will give him approximately 8 minutes of bashing the thing.

All this assuming the banshee doesn't just hide inside a wall or something.

Other possibly useful spells would be level 3 Sor/Wiz spell Dream Spirit from Secrets of Sarlona (Creates incorporeal thing that lasts 1 round per level, has your HP, uses your BAB and does 1d6+level damage per touch attack), Manyjaws from Spell Compendium which is a concentration spell that lasts 3 round and conjures a cloud of force jaws that would do 1d6/level force damage ref. half (but are too slow to catch up with the banshee) nope it's SR:Yes and Ectoplasmic Web from ghostwalk, which is web but for incorporeal creatures and can thus lower the banshee's speed considerably.

An insanely cheesy and boring way to win would be if you have a cleric (the same who uses all his/her level 4 spell slots to cast death ward on the party). Have him/her memorise Ice beast summons (From frostburn), specifically ice beast III, II and I. Summon 4 Ice Beast Celestial Hawks around the banshee and keep doing that, with the cold aura. They just have a difference of 20 feet in speed, so they will generally catch up with the banshee. They do 1d6 cold damage to the banshee each, and since they are magic attacks but not spells or magic weapons, they do full damage. The banshee probably kills 1 each other round, but you can summon 4 at first, then 2 and then 1. If it sticks around attacking them, they can kill it in approximately 5 rounds. I think. Sorry, kinda tired, not sure if I calculated that correctly.